Author Topic: Homepage for site not displaying correctly  (Read 3153 times)

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
Homepage for site not displaying correctly
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »
I've spent the day trying to figure out why my homepage isn't displaying correctly since I updated it.  I'm quite sure I've just missed something simple, but I'm not a web developer.  If you could give it a look and provide some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!

http://hugowx.com

Thank you!

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Homepage for site not displaying correctly
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 09:35:28 PM »
Do you have a backup copy of your original ajax-dashboard, so you can get back to you were?
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 09:39:14 PM »
I do. My site was seriously out of date and the NWS stuff was broken.  That's why I was doing the update.

I'd rather not go from new-broken to old-broken, but I may not have a choice.  :roll:

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 09:41:27 PM »
Do you have a current copy of the Saratoga script?
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 10:02:04 PM »
I thought that's what I had pushed up to the site.

I've since temporarily reverted to the backup.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 10:41:59 PM »
Your PHP is at Version: 5.3.24 so you'll likely need Version 5.4+ to run with the updates.  Change your PHP version, then be sure to upload check-fetch-times.php from the existing update FIRST,
then run check-fetch-times.php?show=versions to see what you need with the update tool and use that set to update your site.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 10:50:16 PM »
I'll give it a try tomorrow after work. Thanks!

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 10:54:33 PM »
You're welcome.. let me (us) know what issues you find, and we'll get them resolved.
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
Well, I updated the php version on the site and then updated the files.  It's still not displaying correctly for some reason and I can't seem to figure out why.

Also, I uploaded the Steel Series Gauges, but don't see where they come into play.

You help is greatly appreciated!

Mark

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 11:33:49 PM »
Looking at your Status page your realtime.txt is updating regularly and then also your template dashboard.  However the Cumulus regular FTP and NOAA Reports are from Sunday so not updating.  Have you ticked Include Standard Files in the Configuration > Station > Files section?

For the wxssgauges have you included the realtimegaugesT file for processing and upload as realtimegauges.txt in that Configuration > Station > Files section?

Your Cumulus version v.1.9.3 b. 1059 is very old and you might benefit from the current Cumulus 1 version 1.9.4 b.1099.  Very easy to do.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 11:43:05 PM »
I did not check the standard files. The cumulus is actually 3.0 (MX). I'm having trouble with it as well. This "update" has not gone smoothly.

I thought that checking to include standard files was not appropriate when using this website template.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 11:57:57 PM »
I thought that checking to include standard files was not appropriate when using this website template.

You are right, it would not be necessary,
and presumably you then have the CUtagsT being processed and updated as CUtags.php?

As the Status shows Cumulus v. 1.9 and you are using MX there must be something else not complete or correct but sorry I don't know what else to suggest on this.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 04:06:36 PM »
Anyone else have any ideas? I seem to have hit a dead end.

The sites been up for four or five years without this kind of problem.

hugowx.com

Thanks for your time!

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 08:03:29 PM »
Hi Mark,

May I make a suggestion. 

1. Download and make a complete backup of your current site, just in case.

2. Upload a completely new copy of the Saratoga Template. I figure a number of problems are because of new and old versions of the template conflicting with each other.

3. Once you have completed #2, AND it is working correctly, then you can go and make changes to what you are wanting.

Hope this helps,

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 09:57:01 PM »
Umm... your site is fine (has correct and current scripts).

The problem is that Cumulus is not processing the CUtags-template and uploading CUtags.php to your website.  The realtime.txt is being uploaded, so it's likely your FTP settings are correct, just not the specification to have the main tags upload.

looking at http://hugowx.com/wxstatus.php shows the last FTP of the CUtags.php was on Sun, 02/12/2017 19:41 MST with weather data from Sun, 02/12/2017 15:45 MST.

If you're using Cumulus 1.9.3, then follow the configuration info at http://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/setup-Cumulus.php to get the tags processing and uploading.

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 10:53:21 PM »
I "upgraded" to Cumulus MX and it isnt working well. I think I'm going to go back to 1.9.x. It crashes periodically and despite being properly configured (I think), it doesn't seem to upload all of the files.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 11:00:16 PM »
Thanks Ken you have explained it much better.

Re SSgauges, the realtimegauges.txt is being updated in your root folder so that seems to be correct http://hugowx.com/realtimegauges.txt.  If you are using MX I believe the realtimegauges.txt is now included as one of the standard T files update for the Cumulus template.  Have you uploaded all the other files/folders needed for the ssgauges?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 11:49:57 PM »
I believe so. They're in the ssg folder. I was a bit confused as to exactly which files and folders should be in there.

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 11:57:17 PM »
I'm confused now.  Cumulus still doesn't seem to be uploading all the files, but the site is displaying correctly. I've been slammed today and haven't even had time to look at the site. Last time I did (last night) the main page was "wonky" with the forecast section displaying very wide.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 12:17:45 AM »
A couple of things to keep in mind.
1) the AJAX updates to your webpage are based on reading realtime.txt (which is currently updating on your site)
2) not ALL the weather conditions are updated by AJAX -- many rely on having the CUtags.php uploading every 5 minutes with conditions.
3) so, if JavaScript is enabled in your browser, you see a mix of the AJAX updates with older/stale data from the CUtags.
4) use the wxstatus.php page to show if your site is fully updating with conditions and the overall data is 'fresh'.

Your Alerts seem to not be working, they're representing my two areas and not your areas.
Change nws-alerts-config.php from
Code: [Select]
## GENERAL SETTINGS
$noCron        = false;                     // true=not using cron, update data when cache file expires   false=use cron to update data
to
Code: [Select]
## GENERAL SETTINGS
$noCron        = true;                     // true=not using cron, update data when cache file expires   false=use cron to update data
since you do not appear to be running a cron job for nws-alerts.

If you're now using CumulusMX for your software, then use the MX menus in your browser to configure the Settings, Extra Webfiles area to look like the attached (changing the base directory to match your CumulusMX installation).

Hope this helps..
Best regards,
Ken

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 12:43:34 PM »
I'll try to figure out what's wrong with Cumulus tonight.  I am running several scheduled cron jobs on the site, and I'm not getting any error reports for them.  I did log in and verify that they're still set up.

I'll post more after my Cumulus MX vs Cumulus 1.9.4 fact finding mission this evening.

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 11:38:02 PM »
I finally got some time to work on this again.  I'm running cumulus 1.9.4 and I appears to be working fine.  The website status page http://hugowx.com/wxstatus.php still shows "Cumulus Weather Data" is out of date. I can't seem to figure out what file that's referring to, and I can't find anything that looks like it's not being processed or uploaded.

I applied the Saratoga scripts today that were supposed to adjust for the Wunderground changes, but now the homepage is back to wonky. I've run the site for years without problems, but I'm sure having a hell of a time here lately!

Thanks for your time!

-Mark

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »
I think it's caused by your OS settings making the $WX['date'] = '19-Feb-17'; in a format that isn't dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy

In your Windows date/time settings, make sure the Short Date format is M/dd/yyyy and not dd-MMM-yy format.

Offline HugoWX

• HugoWX
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 11:32:17 AM »
Thanks, Ken!  That fixed that issue!

Now I just have to figure out why my satellite image on the homepage is MIA.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 06:48:26 PM »
That's a WU issue.. see this for the fix.

anything