Author Topic: Extra sensors and Weather Underground  (Read 1690 times)

Offline muchgooder.com

Extra sensors and Weather Underground
« on: January 29, 2017, 11:10:14 AM »
I know, I know - this one has been talked about before.  Even though my pool is frozen over I thought I would  start a fun little winter project of trying to get my raspberry pi-based pool sensor to upload to wunderground (it was already reporting to initialstate) via a python script.  I followed what others had done when they were trying to do something similar:  I used the soil temperature reading. 

This worked great - as long as VWS was also not turned on and sending rapid-fire updates.  When VWS was doing its thing something curious happened - soiltemp no longer appeared in the api call.  To be clear, before all of this the api was returning soiltemp as null but at least it was there. 

Any idea as to where the problem might be?  I looked in VWS settings and I don't see any mention of soil readings.  Is it possible that WU doesn't like partial updates from another source?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Extra sensors and Weather Underground
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:47:05 AM »
I would guess it is because the same WU ID is being updated by two diff. sites.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline muchgooder.com

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:50:37 AM »
I also thought of that, but the post is coming from the same IP.  I would think it might be more likely that one is a partial update? 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »
But the same WU ID. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »
maybe VWS is sending soil temp but as a null (blank)

Offline muchgooder.com

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 03:08:18 PM »
maybe VWS is sending soil temp but as a null (blank)

That would be understandable, but why does that parameter disappear as soon as I turn it back on?   

Either way... I think I am going to have to approach this a different way.  I am thinking that I am going to try to write the value to an amazon db and then pick the value up from there.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:34:40 PM by muchgooder.com »