Author Topic: Current Conditions & 5-Day Forecast  (Read 5663 times)

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
Re: Current Conditions & 5-Day Forecast
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 05:14:39 PM »
Well....  we all knew this day would come.....  At least you got a response from them.  I guess I'm gonna start researching some new software....   :sad:

Keep us posted if you hear more....

Thanks,

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline JimInKS

• Clay County Medical Center
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 10:16:45 AM »
I am also fighting this same issue.  I am not sure how VWS works pulling the forecast data.  But, when I have the 5 day forecast set for my current location I always just get the last forecast that was available.  It acts like it is cached somewhere in VWS since I don't think VWS can really connect to whatever resource it was using for the forecast.  When I change to a location I have never used before I get this ( in the file C:\vws\data\forecast5\1.txt )

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>Service Unavailable</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Service Unavailable - DNS failure</H1>
The server is temporarily unable to service your request.  Please try again
later.<P>
Reference&#32;&#35;11&#46;2f0fd717&#46;1485283223&#46;c5fa77f
</BODY></HTML>

I don't know if this is any help to the developer of VWS or not.  Is it possible that WU is still supplying the forecast, but the URL to the location has changed ?
Is there a way to report this?

Offline tkrotchko

• Tom's Weather
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 10:31:18 AM »
Jim,

The issue is that while you can get some technical support on VWS, coding was stopped a couple years ago.   There are no more updates available, and the company selling indicated there's no interest in restarting.

I don't know if another piece of software exists that will do the same thing.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 04:18:24 PM »
 I think Ed has lost all interest in VWS  but yet he  keeps selling it.   Too bad that it was not  kept up to date as  newer  devices came on market.
  Why  Ambinet keeps selling it  is hard to say but it looks like user of it will have to move on to WD or one of the other progams out there.  Cumulus is another  program that comes to mind.

John

Offline BrianSB

• GreatWeather
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 04:59:04 PM »
I am looking at weewx for Linux. It is written in Python, open source and seems to have a very active user community. I have been using VWS for over 10 years, but have fought with it all that time. I have no need for a desktop weather app and only need it to generate web pages. I have my own servers and I just want something to generate the pages. VWS runs on the desktop, but I prefer to run headless servers. I tried to make the case for a Windows service version to Ed years ago, and he never seemed interested. Keeping things running 24/7 with Windows updates and assorted power outages has always been a problem for me. I think this is the straw that will break the camels back and force me into using something a little more suitable for the way things are done these days. VWS will never be other than a desktop product, and desktop products are dead. Web based headless systems are really the norm now, and I think it is time to put in the work make the switch. I am a programmer anyway, so anything I need that weewx doesn't do, I'll do myself.

Offline tkrotchko

• Tom's Weather
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 05:32:14 PM »
I have no need for a desktop weather app and only need it to generate web pages.

Bingo.  I have an old creaky laptop that I use to generate web pages that get fed to a cloud hoster for my page.

My "desktop app" is just going to my webpage.

Anyway, I have no interest is wrestling with python scripts, I'm looking for something to load on a PC, I customize the output webpage a bit, and have it gather and upload to my website.     Does such a thing exist?

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 09:33:24 PM »
English is my second language. If I understand well, those products have been discontinued? Why don't we write to WU and tell them we won't send our weather data to them and get as many people as we can to do so.. This is what I do now :-x

I will also email Ambient and ask for a refund. They sell a thing that doesn't work. Come on !
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:35:17 PM by Blizzard »

Offline tkrotchko

• Tom's Weather
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 09:43:04 PM »
English is my second language. If I understand well, those products have been discontinued? Why don't we write to WU and tell them we won't send our weather data to them and get as many people as we can to do so.. This is what I do now :-x

I will also email Ambient and ask for a refund. They sell a thing that doesn't work. Come on !

I wouldn't blame Weather Underground so much.   Stuff changes.

Ambient, on the other hand, should be telling people that the internet functionality is seriously broken, and they have no intention of fixing it.   That only seems fair.  Oh, and tell people that it crashes under Windows 10.

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 09:47:33 PM »
I don't blame WU, but they should know that many of us use VWS to upload our data to them and that we have nothing in return, now...

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 10:14:20 PM »
the weather display software uses the new WU API
and you can search for a city
and the 5 day forecast is shown along with the current data and record data for that city

that is easy to setup
custom tags could be make available for those forecasts
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:40:45 AM by waiukuweather »

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2017, 01:03:00 AM »
the weather display software uses the new WU API
and you can search for a city a
and the 5 day forecast is shown along with the current data and record data for that city

that is easy to setup
custom tags could be make available for those forecasts

And, is it possible to retrieve data from specific WU stations and put them in a web page using tags and templates ?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 01:42:57 AM »
the record max/min data for the wunderground almanac is available as custom tags currently
but more custom tag data could be added, e.g the 4 day forecast text
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:02:53 AM by waiukuweather »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2017, 02:25:50 AM »
see screen shot of the Wunderground almanac in weather display and the 4 day forecast
(custom tags for that forecast data and icons (which can be set to be uploaded e.g via the general ftp upload) are now available in the latest .zip update of WD

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
I got an answer from Ed. I started a new topic.