Author Topic: Davis weather envoy - losing data during power outage  (Read 1335 times)

Offline metro750

Davis weather envoy - losing data during power outage
« on: January 08, 2017, 11:59:01 PM »
Hello.  I have a cabled Davis weather station that is connected to a Weather Envoy data logger which uploads via my router to weatherlink.com and then to Weather Underground.  I also download the data from the envoy to Weatherlink (v. 6.0.3 on my computer).  The Weather Envoy has 3 AA batteries that are supposed to allow the continual collection of data during a power outage, however, during the past two outages of 4-12 hours, the data logger has recorded no data from my station. Any ideas?  I'm running Weatherlink on a Windows 10 machine.  I replace the batteries every fall and when I run battery status on weatherlink, it shows 4.68V. Also, the station maintains the correct time and date during the outage.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Davis weather envoy - losing data during power outage
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 02:20:39 AM »
The cable that connects the Envoy to the ISS provides power and data, no power to the Envoy then no power to the ISS, hence no data, the 3AA batteries in the Envoy is enough to maintain the data logger and retain data up until the power outage. Easy fix is to power the Envoy from a 6 volt battery with a mains charger.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 04:31:00 AM »
This sounds like an IP logger. Correct?

If so, then you can't realistically power this from Envoy AA batteries - they can't cope with the 100x extra current draw from the IP logger compared to eg the USB logger. Even the C cell batteries in the standard console struggle and are not recommended for use with the IP logger. Use a PC-type UPS.

@Mattk: Console batteries will power a cabled ISS but not, in practical terms, combined with an IP logger.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:09:13 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline metro750

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 11:59:17 AM »
Mattk and johnd, thanks for your comments.

The envoy, or data logger, is model 6316C, like this:
http://www.davisnet.com/product/cabled-weather-envoy-3/

It connects to my modem with CAT6 wiring and to my computer with a USB cable.   Besides the 3 AA batteries, it has an AC power adapter that plugs into the wall.  The power adapter is described in the manual as "optional".  In other words, it seems the device is supposed to be able to run only on batteries.  The manual says it can run for 10 days on battery power.  I'm pretty sure the envoy has continued to collect data during past power outages. 

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 12:15:04 PM »
It connects to my modem with CAT6 wiring and to my computer with a USB cable.

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. The logger inside the Envoy has only one onward data cable connection, which will be EITHER to the computer OR to a router - it cannot be both. If it connects to the computer then it's likely to be a USB logger or (as I - maybe wrongly - inferred from your original post) if it connects to the router via Cat 5/6 then it's an IP logger. Which is it? Are you sure that it's not USB to the computer and then a standard patch cable from computer to router?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »
Confusion factor: it's a cabled Envoy, so there is also a connection to the outside weather system. 

Regardless of the technical details, reasons, etc., the solution is to purchase a cheap UPS and plug the Envoy's AC adapter into that.  Also powering the router from that UPS would be helpful.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:33:19 PM by dalecoy »

Offline metro750

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 12:39:37 PM »
Sorry for the mistake - I installed this 5 years ago and I can't remember the connections exactly.  There are 2 CAT6 type cables coming out of the envoy  and going into a data jack on the wall.  The one  from the data logger probably connects to my modem through the house LAN.  I know that the station continues to upload data to WU even when my computer is off. The other cable must come from the ISS.  The only other wire coming out of it goes to the AC adapter.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 02:32:11 PM »
Sorry for the mistake - I installed this 5 years ago and I can't remember the connections exactly.  There are 2 CAT6 type cables coming out of the envoy  and going into a data jack on the wall.  The one  from the data logger probably connects to my modem through the house LAN.  I know that the station continues to upload data to WU even when my computer is off. The other cable must come from the ISS.  The only other wire coming out of it goes to the AC adapter.

Buy a UPS and plug the AC adapter into it.  (It would be good practice to also replace those AA batteries).

I'm pretty sure the envoy has continued to collect data during past power outages.

Yes, it did that before you replaced your USB logger with the WeatherlinkIP logger a few years ago.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:35:44 PM by dalecoy »