Author Topic: Weatherlink IP affecting inside temp reading of Vantage Pro2 console?  (Read 3109 times)

Offline slyk

Hello group,
New Davis weather station user here... I notice that after I installed the Weatherlink IP unit in the Vantage Pro2 console that the inside temp reading is now about 3-4 degrees higher than before. It was spot on with other temp readings in house prior to this. I used my laser thermometer and probed around ext of console and noticed a little heat rise in the area of the IP unit where it plugs in. From what I've read the inside temp sensor is pretty close to this area, and the extra heat generated by the WLIP is causing this (I presume).

So my question is, is this normal? For the WLIP to generate heat like this, enough to raise inside temp reading? Yes I do know that the backlight being left on causing heating issues but backlight is not being left on. I am aware of temperature adjustment setting I can do but if the WLIP is keeping the area warm seems like it wouldn't help much when the temp changes in the house.
If none of you that have a WLIP installed in your VP2 console has this issue then I suppose mine has some sort of heating issue and should be replaced (before my return/exchange policy runs out).
I searched the forums but just couldn't find discussion of this.
TIA, Slyk

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
Re: Weatherlink IP affecting inside temp reading of Vantage Pro2 console?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 02:27:40 AM »
The Ethernet chip and voltage regulator within the WLIP logger will generate heat. It is frankly unavoidable, and a design issue the has never really been resolved.

Unfortunately most people are not that concerned with the inside temperature, so I can't see this being sorted out any time soon.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 03:12:42 AM »
you could potentially remove the temp sensor from inside the console and place it somewhere else (i.e with a longer wire)?

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 03:25:13 AM »
you could potentially remove the temp sensor from inside the console and place it somewhere else (i.e with a longer wire)?

IIRC I do not beleive this is practicle with some models, since the temperature is measured using an SHT11 8 pin chip on the board. Most older PCBs had a thermister bead that could be moved.

I also recall that an external temperature sensor could be connected to the RJ11 port of the wireless VP2.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 03:33:49 AM »
I also recall that an external temperature sensor could be connected to the RJ11 port of the wireless VP2.

Only readily possible with the wireless VP2 Envoy console IIRC (at least not without surgery to the main console case).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 09:18:37 AM »
Assuming that the power dissipation of the WLIP is constant, you could calibrate the indoor temperature to offset the rise above ambient caused by the device. The procedure is on pg. 25 of the console manual.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 06:05:21 PM »
I adjusted my inside temp and humidity accordingly using a separate indoor temp/hum sensor. I can't remember what calibration I used, but it was something like -4º and +2%.
-Alex

Davis 6153 VP2 with 24-hour FARS/
Davis 6250 Vantage Vue
WU: KNJMOUNT68/KSCGREER81
CWOP: FW5135/EW6390
www.uah-mcthornmoracres-weather.com

Offline slyk

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 09:38:29 PM »
Ok thanks y'all. Well it sounds like it is normal for the WLIP to dissipate a little bit of heat and in turn affecting the inside temp reading. Yeah you are right, the indoor temp reading is really not that big of a deal but I would rather prefer that the WLIP didn't have this effect (same with the backlight).
I will perform the temp adjustment and see how it goes...
As for moving the sensor chip, I assume its just in a plug-in socket? If so I further assume someone makes an extension cable to remote the chip, to another location in the console. Has anyone actually done this? Here again, not sure if its worth all the trouble unless it cures the backlight heating issue too. Be also nice if the backlight had a timer you could set or a setting to have it come on when any button is pressed. It would make things a little more convenient in that regard.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 12:57:20 AM »
I have the IP and no problems. The temperatures inside are close to the same between the Davis console in the computer room and in the kitchen where i have a 2nd console.  Do you have your lights on the  console?  that will generate heat from the light leds.

Offline DA270

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »
I notice that after I installed the Weatherlink IP unit in the Vantage Pro2 console that the inside temp reading is now about 3-4 degrees higher than before.

My indoor temp went up 3 degrees with the WLIP installed! I removed it to verify that it was the cause of the dramatic indoor temp change and it dropped back down to the previous reading within several minutes.  :roll:

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 09:54:51 PM »
Are there any other environmental factors as to the placement of you console.  I have mine set and the Envoy and the IP logger on the console are spot even.

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
logger and interactions both change temperature
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 01:08:38 AM »
I don't have a WeatherLink IP.

However I have paid some attention in recent weeks, taking advantage of the fact I currently have two wireless VP2 consoles near each other in the same room, together with an Ambient Weather WS08 console.

With no logger installed (and obviously therefore no computer interaction) I had one of the consoles agreeing very closely with the WS08 in stable conditions (they differ in dynamic response, which is not the issue here).

Installing the logger complicates matters.  Sadly it is not just a matter of a fixed added power dissipation at a fixed location inside the console.  If it were an appropriate calibration offset in temperature could probably fix that almost perfectly, and a calibration offset for humidity could probably get close for the most common condition in my house. 

However conditions of interaction with the PC by way of the logger produce time-varying temperature offsets (presumably because they induce time-varying power consumption changes, probably in the logger proper, and possibly in one or more of the other console components.).

A simple case in point of interest to me is that the seemingly simple interaction of the Cumulus program running on my PC transmitting a command to the console (by way of the logger), to update the console clock to agree with the PC clock gives a temperature spike in console-reported indoor temperature on the order of a couple of tenths of a degree.  That does not sound like much, but given the thermal mass involved, and the short length of the interaction, probably means an appreciable excess power consumption is at hand.

More disturbingly I've seen several-hour offsets of more than a degree F for which I've not even been able to identify the inducing condition(s).

I think the console backlight temperature offset question gets more publicity here, but I suspect that one is a rather consistent power addition in a specific place, and so subject to successful remediation.  The temperature offsets associated with PC interaction via the logger seem unlikely to be successfully addressed.

Maybe someday the fabled VP3 will do a much better job of isolating the console internal temperature sensor by some combination of location, insulation, and air flow channeling.  Or maybe it will at least support the external temperature probe as currently do both the Envoy and the 8X Envoy. 

Or maybe the particular ways that Cumulus interacts with the logger+console cause more of this trouble than do other possible ways, in which case Cumulus MX may already be better, and perhaps other programs as well.

None of which bears directly on the question posed at the top of this thread.  But you'll realize that I'm not at all surprised to see a report of offsets attributed to WeatherLink IP.  As it must burn much more power than must the basic logger just to do the job, I'd expect the offsets to be bigger.  As I think I've seen over a degree, three or four is not implausible to me.

Offline DA270

Re: logger and interactions both change temperature
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 06:45:03 AM »

Installing the logger complicates matters.  Sadly it is not just a matter of a fixed added power dissipation at a fixed location inside the console.  If it were an appropriate calibration offset in temperature could probably fix that almost perfectly, and a calibration offset for humidity could probably get close for the most common condition in my house. 

However conditions of interaction with the PC by way of the logger produce time-varying temperature offsets (presumably because they induce time-varying power consumption changes, probably in the logger proper, and possibly in one or more of the other console components.).

Great point. Presumably the WLIP was designed primarily as a stand alone solution that would upload data to the Weatherlink Network at set intervals and depending on the upload interval selected, the duty cycle (heat dissipated) may be low enough to have a minimal effect on the indoor sensor. In my installation I am using it with CumulusMX reading the loop packets every couple of seconds, so the network activity is pretty constant.