Author Topic: Software for the RPi3 B?  (Read 4194 times)

Offline bbowers

• Traffic Surgeon
  • Contributor
    • Country Knolls - Ballston Lake, NY
Software for the RPi3 B?
« on: July 18, 2016, 03:43:07 PM »
So I've tried weewx which didn't seem to work well, wouldn't upload to CWOP. I switched to CumulusMX which doesn't seem to handle crashing gracefully. Was going to try Meteohub but I don't think they have anything out for the 3 yet... is there anything else out there that works super well? Having trouble finding something with enough backing and development to trust.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Software for the RPi3 B?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 03:58:57 PM »
So I've tried weewx which didn't seem to work well, wouldn't upload to CWOP. I switched to CumulusMX which doesn't seem to handle crashing gracefully. Was going to try Meteohub but I don't think they have anything out for the 3 yet... is there anything else out there that works super well? Having trouble finding something with enough backing and development to trust.

I've had good luck with weewx.  There's plenty of backing.  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/weewx-user

What specifically was your CWOP problem?

Offline bbowers

• Traffic Surgeon
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 04:02:47 PM »
It would upload to Wunderground just fine but it wouldn't upload to CWOP at all even with the settings correct. I gave up trying to troubleshoot after about 2 weeks and tried CumulusMX instead.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:11:13 PM »
It would upload to Wunderground just fine but it wouldn't upload to CWOP at all even with the settings correct. I gave up trying to troubleshoot after about 2 weeks and tried CumulusMX instead.

Given it uploads to wunderground fine, I would suspect it has nothing to do with the hardware.

Are you sure you had "enable = true" in the CWOP section of weewx.conf?

It should look something like this:

Code: [Select]
[StdRestful]
    [[CWOP]]
        enable = true
        station = CW1234
        passcode = XXX    # Replace with your passcode (APRS stations only)
        post_interval = 600

Offline gjr80

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 11:06:28 PM »

Hi,

If https://groups.google.com/d/topic/weewx-user/-dhBrGbQYh4/discussion was your post in the weewx user group I think you have (had) more fundamental problems than CWOP posts not working. The log snippet you posted indicated that weewx was not getting any archive data from your station. Loop data was fine, so hence your WU rapid fire posts were working fine - if you would have turned off rapid fire then I think you have found the WU posts would have failed as well.

The weewx 'vantage' driver is mature plus there is a lot of Davis knowledge on the weewx forums, if you tried weewx again and pushed the weewx user group a bit harder and I think the underlying issue would likely be solved.

Gary

Offline bbowers

• Traffic Surgeon
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 11:56:35 AM »

Hi,

If https://groups.google.com/d/topic/weewx-user/-dhBrGbQYh4/discussion was your post in the weewx user group I think you have (had) more fundamental problems than CWOP posts not working. The log snippet you posted indicated that weewx was not getting any archive data from your station. Loop data was fine, so hence your WU rapid fire posts were working fine - if you would have turned off rapid fire then I think you have found the WU posts would have failed as well.

The weewx 'vantage' driver is mature plus there is a lot of Davis knowledge on the weewx forums, if you tried weewx again and pushed the weewx user group a bit harder and I think the underlying issue would likely be solved.

Gary

Yeah that was it. I think I worked past that part but still couldn't get CWOP working. Hard to keep track of these issues with a 1.5yo daughter... I have extremely limited troubleshooting time :) Going to try and find some time this week to maybe revisit weewx. I'll install and see if I can reproduce that issue with the logger. I shot out an email to davis as well to see if there's anything else I can check.