Author Topic: Help setting up WeeWX on Raspberry PI  (Read 5098 times)

Offline lou

Help setting up WeeWX on Raspberry PI
« on: December 29, 2015, 03:13:38 AM »
I'm brand new to Raspberry PI, WeeWX, Python and Etc.  I have read and searched the net for a couple of days and still cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong.  I have a Rpi B+, with Raspbian installed which seems to be functioning properly and also has Python . I do have internet connect through a wireless device.
Per the instructions on the WeeWX site, I'm to download the DEB file and "If you are running a graphical interface, you can install by double-clicking the .deb file."  When I first did this it would bring up a information/fillout type box for "location" and maybe some other info.  I could not get this to do anything.  After messing around for several hours when I double click the DEB file it takes me to a "Python shell" for "control.tar.gz"
 Can some one help me use the GUI installation as described on the WeeWX site as the best method for beginners ??

Thanks, Lou

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Help setting up WeeWX on Raspberry PI
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 03:52:25 AM »
There really isn't what I would call a "graphical" installation.

Did you place the mouse on that window so that it would be "focused" on that window so you could type in the information?

Normally what I would do is open a terminal window and be sure you're in the same directory as the .deb.  Then, run "sudo dpkg -i weewx_X.Y.Z-R_all.deb" (rename for the current version, of course) in the terminal window.  This will run the installation script in that terminal window so you should be able to fill out the data.

Every time I've installed, I've had dependency issues that had to be solved by the following commands (as per the instructions):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -f install

I'm not sure how you would do that on the GUI side.

Bottom line, I'd just open the terminal window and install it from the command line.  Weewx isn't big on "point-and-click" in the first place.

Offline lou

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 06:06:49 PM »
Thanks to the help from nincehelser I'v got my Raspberry PI up and running to Wunderground  !!!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 06:45:18 PM »
One of a thousand or so tutorial on the INterwebs.  http://davies-barnard.uk/2013/12/weewx-rasp/
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline lou

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »
Bushman,
 I had seen this and it is much more complicated for a beginner than was necessary. I had spent days on the net trying to understand the installation process. I just needed a helping hand to point me in the right direction and the installation went smoothly.