Author Topic: RG-11 as a snow sensor  (Read 6214 times)

Offline jordy98x1

RG-11 as a snow sensor
« on: December 27, 2015, 02:46:42 PM »
Has anybody had any more experience with using the RG-11 to detect snow? Does it pick up snow as it does rain? Can it be configured to successfully ignore snow? I am looking at possibly using one or more in conjunction with a PLC and some temperature sensors to turn on heaters for my rain bucket, anemometer and a few other devices. I plan to use the various sensors to form a set of "rules" so that if the temperature is below a certain point, and moisture is present, then X happens and so forth. Any info regarding the behavior of the RG-11 with snow as compared to rain would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jordan

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Re: RG-11 as a snow sensor
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 07:04:50 PM »
Little insight for you on precipitation types.  You can get snow when surface temps are above freezing at the surface. You can get rain when surface temps are close to freezing. Its all about the freezing level height, especially during the winter months. You would have to know additional parameters before your rule set worked...

Jim

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 08:53:03 PM »
I have one and it it "hit and miss" as far as detecting snow. Sometimes it will and some times it does not. I have the "heater" activated. Last evening when we had sleet and some light flurries it did not record anything. If it is a type of snow that melts on contact it can register.

I would not count on it for snow.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline jordy98x1

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 09:25:48 PM »
I have one and it it "hit and miss" as far as detecting snow. Sometimes it will and some times it does not. I have the "heater" activated. Last evening when we had sleet and some light flurries it did not record anything. If it is a type of snow that melts on contact it can register.

I would not count on it for snow.

Greg H.

Yeah, I am hoping that it I can get it to ignore snow totally, but I was thinking that it would register if the snow melted on the lens, just as you stated. Maybe if I set it to the lowest sensitivity it will ignore most of it. Sounds like some experimenting is in order!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 08:11:26 AM »
You might try setting SW8 for "micro power mode" that will disable the heater.

Heater Notes– A built-in low power (0.25W) heater extends operation of the device to freezing (32 F or 0C).  This is disabled if the micro-power (SW 8) is enabled.  Note that this is a very modest amount of power; it will tend to drive off a modest amount of frost, but will not melt ice.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

anything