Author Topic: Raspbian Jessie now standard replacing Wheezy  (Read 2420 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Raspbian Jessie now standard replacing Wheezy
« on: September 29, 2015, 05:12:25 PM »
It's taken a while, but Raspbian has finally moved on to Jessie for the standard installation.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-jessie-is-here/

A couple of things that might be of interest here:

You no longer have to sudo Python to access the GPIO pins.

It's not recommended to update from Wheezy.... they recommend a clean install of Jessie.  I upgraded a system to Jessie a few months ago, and it broke my web server installation.  I'm guessing that might have been due to moving from php 5.4 to php 5.5.  I think php 5.6 might be the default for the new image.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Raspbian Jessie now standard replacing Wheezy
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 05:33:33 PM »
Crap.  I just figured out all the tricks and traps of Wheezy.  I am turning into a Luddite I guess.  Mind this looks great.  My big concern is if it will work with all the stuff I have loaded/mucked with to get Wheezy where I wanted it to be.  And I am embarrassed to admit that I did not know they named the distros after Toy Story characters!  LOL
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 05:48:55 PM »
Crap.  I just figured out all the tricks and traps of Wheezy.  I am turning into a Luddite I guess.  Mind this looks great.  My big concern is if it will work with all the stuff I have loaded/mucked with to get Wheezy where I wanted it to be.  And I am embarrassed to admit that I did not know they named the distros after Toy Story characters!  LOL

This is the way I understand the current Debian version mapping to "Toy Story" characters:

Stable = Jessie

Testing = Stretch (a purple rubber octopus from "Toy Story 3")

Unstable (Active Development) = Sid (This is unchanged.  Sid was the neighbor kid who dissembled and reassembled toys in odd ways and then tortured them.)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 06:10:20 PM »
Oh I know the story:  three kids.  I cannot tell you how many times I watched/listened to the movies.  Besides, they were great movies.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »
I just did one of the Pi 2's to Jessie. Wow it boots up faster than Wheezy. My other Pi 2 is running OpenElec so I am not going to update it. My Pi B is running Wheezy but it is a build for the Adafruit 3.5 Touchscreen so it is going to stay put. If I put Jessie on it then I have go through the manual installation of the touchscreen. At this point I have a full image that loads and runs so don't want to break it.

anything