Author Topic: WSV3 - The next generation in PC weather software  (Read 33523 times)

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: WSV3 - The next generation in PC weather software
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 10:11:43 PM »
How many more threads are we going to have about this?

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 10:17:39 PM »
Sorry I missed the original post.

tweatherman

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 11:02:16 PM »
Isn't this the original thread? And if not, why not just ignore multiple threads? I'm sure the moderators will combine / delete threads if necessary.

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
    • Station Meteo Hebertville
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 03:01:05 PM »
it says nowhere that we can connect OUR weather station on this thing....i only see radars and metars....

and it says...a new leader in real time pc weather software..........
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:02:42 PM by virusdunil »
Cabled Vantage pro2 + Solar / Stevensen screen
Weather Display latest version + Boltek PCI-NexStorm-StormVue NGX / NSDisplay

http://www.meteolacstjean.com/weather28/index.php
Meteotemplate : http://www.meteolacstjean.com/hebert/index.php

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »
It looks nice, but I'll pass. Had purchased the last version of WeatherStudio and 6 months later, no support, etc. Not falling for it again.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »
Looks interesting.
I'll wait and see on pricing.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 12:39:56 PM »
Released today. Absolutely fantastic software in my opinion, and very affordable. I love GR products, but this is gonna be some stiff competition here.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 06:45:12 PM »
I'm trying out the trial they have a FTP Uploading option.. it's ok very confusing because it won't let me add my custom logo..  ](*,)
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »
I'm trying out the trial they have a FTP Uploading option.. it's ok very confusing because it won't let me add my custom logo..  ](*,)

As with Atmograph, you will not be able to upload your custom logo until you purchase the program.

What is the web site we can see your weather page / graphics at?

Don in Ohio

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 07:54:31 PM »

As with Atmograph, you will not be able to upload your custom logo until you purchase the program.

What is the web site we can see your weather page / graphics at?

Don in Ohio

for WS3? FTP wont be available until the 20th it says.
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 02:29:37 PM »
What's everyone's opinion of the software (If tried).

I did not end up purchasing it. The product itself is quite nice, and the level 2 data is probably the best I've seen, as it comes in quicker than Gibson Ridge's feed. However, I was going to only purchase the Basic package to start, and it was cut so bad, that it's just not worth it to me right now. The Basic version was promised to have 95% of what the video provided, yet there are no models, mesoanalysis, or level 2 radar. I can understand no FTP, no level 2, and maybe even the no models, but all that is left is a national radar, satellite, and METARs - Just wasn't worth the price tag.

Stuck with ol' GrEarth. And I'll post a few more color tables in the next couple of weeks.  8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »
What's everyone's opinion of the software (If tried).

I did not end up purchasing it. The product itself is quite nice, and the level 2 data is probably the best I've seen, as it comes in quicker than Gibson Ridge's feed. However, I was going to only purchase the Basic package to start, and it was cut so bad, that it's just not worth it to me right now. The Basic version was promised to have 95% of what the video provided, yet there are no models, mesoanalysis, or level 2 radar. I can understand no FTP, no level 2, and maybe even the no models, but all that is left is a national radar, satellite, and METARs - Just wasn't worth the price tag.

Stuck with ol' GrEarth. And I'll post a few more color tables in the next couple of weeks.  8-)

Yep, I was quite disappointed at the deception on the differentiation between the two.  I can't justify paying $75 for some maps I can get elsewhere.  If they'd have included the model data I might have purchased it as an augmentation to GRLevel3.  But not the way it is now.  I feel like it's deceptive advertising at it's worst and will likely make that opinion known on their FB page.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 05:01:47 PM »
Just to be clear on the website it says" Download a fully-functional, no-obligation 14-day free trial"
So this is not a fully functional trial?

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »
Just to be clear on the website it says" Download a fully-functional, no-obligation 14-day free trial"
So this is not a fully functional trial?

Two different trials for two different products.

There is the WSV3 basic, which from what I read purports to have "95 percent of the features" of WSV3 Professional.

However, I don't see where that is correct.  They say that the only thing missing from the Basic version is the NexRad Pro tab.  Wrong.  The pro version has several tabs.  The basic version has just one -- timelines, if I'm not mistaken.  No model data.  And upon looking at the website, buried WAY at the bottom of the page, are the comparision, which don't indicate that Basic includes model data.  While that is fine, I take umbrage with the "95 percent" figure.  That's subjective to individual interpretation in my estimation.  $75 (and if you don't purchase in the discount period it goes to $105 I think) is too much for something that I can essentially get with placefiles on GRLevel3.  Reduce that price for basic, or include model data, and I'd think about it.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 05:23:02 PM »
Yeah I agree with Okie on the 95% advertisement, and you're right - The basic is $105 in 2016. 

I think the advertisement was a little gimicky to me, but I've talked with Paul off and on for the last several years and there's no doubt - He's a nice guy who would never dupe anyone or any of the kind. To me, I feel like he may have tried to rush his product out a little because there are still quite a few bugs (Also think the beta test was only a day or two). Bugs are to be expected on a product release though, so that is understandable.

Was I entranced by the advertisement? Oh yes. I thought it was going to be revolutionary, and I thought the Basic product was going to at least have some options that other programs didn't. But other than the color-coded METARs and satellite, there's not anything different than it for me that is useful for my weather analysis. I continue to work on weather forecasting without the heavy use of model data because I think weather forecasting can still be accurate and yet be a human artwork, so for me, I like to see a lot of current data. Though I pay yearly, GREarth has everything I could ever ask for (Other than maybe FTP  ;) ), so for now I'll stick with it.  8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 05:30:03 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that. I should have read the website better. :oops:
Based on the reviews here I can't understand why you would release the product with limited features.  :?

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 05:35:12 PM »
I would never bash Paul (The developer). He's a lot nicer than some of the other developers I have conversed with about their programs in all honestly. I just feel like all of the specials that are going on about the product are trying to pressure people to buy into it. It's not a bad product at all, I just think that in my case going for the Basic version, it ended being a little less than what I was expecting in terms of number of features.  8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 05:35:28 PM »
Maybe they were trying to make a few dollars for Christmas time, I dunno. Personally I have never purchased or subscribed to AH or GR for place files and never will. The deal that you must subscribe to an AH place file subscription if you purchase GREarth is a loada crappola. Sorry, but it is. I downloaded the 14 day trial period and the only real beef I have so far is that the FTP function is not yet there. I plan to FTP this and that to my web site.

Just my two cents worth.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 05:39:47 PM »
Maybe they were trying to make a few dollars for Christmas time, I dunno. Personally I have never purchased or subscribed to AH or GR for place files and never will. The deal that you must subscribe to an AH place file subscription if you purchase GREarth is a loada crappola. Sorry, but it is. I downloaded the 14 day trial period and the only real beef I have so far is that the FTP function is not yet there. I plan to FTP this and that to my web site.

Just my two cents worth.

Your two cents makes a good point! I was disappointed at some of the people on the WSV3 forum that kind of bashed Paul for his product, when he does not deserve that at all. It's a great product, I was just hoping for a little more for the Basic version because I don't have the money to pay the price for the full version yet. A lot of hard work was put in to make that product as good as it is. I don't subscribe to placefiles, but GREarth is a program that I have created a lot of color tables and done a lot of work with. My Christmas present every year is to get half of it paid off for a year so that I only have to pay $90, so it's not a real pocket burner for me. Personally, I think it is still a little more stable than WSV3, but the FULL version of WSV3 blows away GREarth - That level 2 stuff he has added IS worth the price in my opinion.

I look forward to seeing more WSV3 on your videos Don!  8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2015, 05:59:49 PM »
I just looked at it. The video is quite cool and I guess it has many functions (though probably useless for anyone outside US). But still, I believe it is overpriced and I even think that if that guy made it cheaper, he would in the end make more money because lot of people will be put off by this price.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2015, 06:18:35 PM »
His justification for the high price is that the product is absolute with no recurring fees like a yearly subscription to GREarth. I personally think it is a little high maybe, but he does provide a point there if some folks don't want to pay a monthly or yearly fee.
Joe Fitzwater

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 06:22:07 PM »
Six to one, half a dozen to the other. He is at least giving it an attempt. If you don't like it, don't bash it. Stick to GR or whatever you may have. (This post is NOT aimed at ANYONE in particular.)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2015, 10:07:39 PM »
Upon reconsideration, I should bring this up. After looking at the promotional video, it does appear that most of the products in the promotional video are shown in WSV3 basic except for the level 2 data. Yes, I was not lying when I said that the mesoanalysis, model, and forecast tabs were missing, but I do not see much of a mention of those tabs in the promotional video at all, and so with that being said, me making the comment that 95% of the products in the video is in WSV3 basic is FALSE. Yes, there is quite a bit of cutting between the professional and basic versions of the software, but there is also quite a bit of price dropping between the two as well.

Once again, I consider Paul both a very trustworthy and friendly developer, so the last thing that I would ever want to do is seem like I am attacking either his morality of advertising or his overall treatment of customers, as he's as good as they come with interaction with his customers.  8-)

And Don, I definitely wouldn't consider what I said as bashing; I have a lot of respect for Paul and his products - Just was voicing an opinion that I thought might be considered by others when checking out the program. If you're someone looking to avoid recurring monthly/yearly fees, Paul's new product is certainly the answer.  :-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 10:29:29 PM »
Paul was kind enough to actually post a detailed thread exclaiming some of the false claims debunked about WSV3. Apparently, there were a few folks who were giving WSV3 a bad product rep, so Paul wanted to try to clarify any confusion pertaining to the product. After reading this, it seems pretty clear about any kind of questions about the product. Thought I would share the link for anyone interested.

http://wsv3.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=209&p=1392#p1392
Joe Fitzwater

anything