Author Topic: Davis 6410 anemometer calibration data  (Read 883 times)

Offline roebert

Davis 6410 anemometer calibration data
« on: February 14, 2021, 05:33:12 AM »
I built  the electronics for my weatherstation myself, and now I'm writing the software for the anemometer. I bought a davis 6410, which should be linear according its specification. But as I searched the Internet, I found a lookup table to increase the accuracy of the 7911 anemometer:

http://toolbox.davisnet.com/downloads/weather/Misc/7911_Anemometer/7911%20OEM%20Applications.pdf

Does anyone have similar data of the 6410 anemometer?

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
Re: Davis 6410 anemometer calibration data
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 10:37:37 PM »
I believe there is existing code for Arduino in the DavisRFM69 codebase named AnemometerExample that takes the Anemometer signal and processes it.

This may be of help to you I am unsure.
PS - I'd love to see a picture of your electronics, and what you used!
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline roebert

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 05:47:36 AM »
Thanks for the info, I looked at it, but in the DavisRFM69 examples, wind is only partially implemented, and there is no calibration.

Regarding the hardware:

The outside temp/hum electronics is based of an arduino mega. For the temperature measurement, I use a PT1000 Sensor connected to an ADC breakout board. This was the main reason for building my own electronics, because I wanted to be able to calibrate the temperature sensor with a dry block calibrator (I have access to this in the company I work for).
For Humidity and Pressure I used a Bosch BME280 Sensor. It was quite accurate, but after some time it got unreliable and after 2 years it failed. This small sensor is not made for permanent outside conditions (even thougn it is in an instrument shelter). Now I use an industrial humidity transmitter, which I got from my company. :)
The arduino has a wired connection (RS485 - Modbus RTU) to the server (running weewx software). This was the 2nd reason for building it myself -> I always had problems with the wireless connection. Both PC and outside station are powerd from UPS.
I with the arduino I also monitor the supply voltage and the fan RPM (aspiration of the instrument shelter), and weewx sends me an email if there is a problem.

For Indoor temp/hum and now also for pressure (since the outside BME failed) I use an ESP32 with BME280. This ESP32 is also the brain for the weather display, at the moment a simple 4x20 display, maybe I will change this to something nicer in future.

The anemometer is also connected to an ESP32.

The weewx software gets the data from both ESP with modbus TCP, and from the arduino and the humidity transmitter with modbus RTU.

Things to do:

Move the anemometer further away from my ham radio antenna. When I press the transmit button on the radio, the anemometer reports 300kph windspeed, even though I sheelded the cable and put some filters in the line.  :roll:

Maybe I will move the whole instrument shelter further away from the house. I found out, that it is still to close to the house, and when it's cold outside, it reads a few tenth of °C too high. Disadvantage: Maybe more influence from the street in summer, as it is a little too close to the street. 2nd disadvantage: 2 years of temp data history to throw away.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 09:55:11 AM »
I built  the electronics for my weatherstation myself, and now I'm writing the software for the anemometer. I bought a davis 6410, which should be linear according its specification. But as I searched the Internet, I found a lookup table to increase the accuracy of the 7911 anemometer:

http://toolbox.davisnet.com/downloads/weather/Misc/7911_Anemometer/7911%20OEM%20Applications.pdf

No I don't, but from the VP2 firmware release notes Davis have updated the correction table at least twice iirc, but never published the data to my knowledge.
Mark

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 06:37:33 PM »

Have a look at "windcal.dat" in this repo. It's a correction table of a 6410 anemometer made in 2014. It contains wind speed calibration data sampled from a real anemometer as a 2-dimensional array with 150 rows (raw wind speed), where each row contains 256 values (raw wind vane angle), and any given value is a corrected value corresponding to the input raw value. The repo contains further info in code on how these values are being used. See also here. Instead of rolling your own solution, you could also use the driver in the repo with WeeWX.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:19:21 PM by kobuki »

Offline roebert

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 07:14:43 PM »
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I will also look at the code, maybe I can really use at least parts of it. I already looked at a couple of anemometer implementations of DIY stations, but nothing I found so far had any calibration data.