Author Topic: Rare event in S Central Texas - Anemometer Stuck  (Read 749 times)

Offline Bohaiboy

Rare event in S Central Texas - Anemometer Stuck
« on: February 11, 2021, 02:56:09 PM »
About 50 miles NW of San Antonio.  We actually are having an ice event and I realize that water in the collection cone will freeze, but my anemometer has frozen and stopped spinning.  Any suggestions?  We are supposed to get to almost 7F this coming late weekend/next week and I would really like to track the wind chill so any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:58:52 PM by Bohaiboy »

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Rare event in S Central Texas - Anemometer Stuck
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 03:27:06 PM »
If it is in a convenient place-tap it and it may move.

I had drip flash freeze from the drip cap and stop the anny.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Bohaiboy

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 03:33:23 PM »
Yep tried that and it re-froze.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 03:42:00 PM »
oof. you may be stuck. yes pun intended.

I know it is bad there.

Unless you can add a bigger shield around the drip cap. Not fun in freezing rain

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 05:02:37 PM »
Antifreeze?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 05:35:00 PM »
Antifreeze?
Actually, someone suggested that years ago and thought about applying it with a "super-soaker." Whether he did or not, I don't remember.

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 08:06:54 PM »
Antifreeze?
Actually, someone suggested that years ago and thought about applying it with a "super-soaker." Whether he did or not, I don't remember.

If I am remembering correctly, it was "Scalphunter" from Alaska. He had a vacuum hose stretched up the pole connected to  a 12 volt windshield washer pump that would spray his anny with antifreeze.

Doug

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 01:20:02 PM »
My pole is attached to the side of the house and extends all the way to the ground.  I just go out and beat on the pole.  It usually breaks the ice off.  I've only had to once crawl up on the house.

I usually get one or two freeze up's a year.  This year it wasn't ice.  I had freezing rime.

I've thought about mounting a DC motor up at the top.  Put an off balanced wheel on it.  Then wires that would come down to just a 18v drill battery.  Plug in the battery and give it a shake.  Just a thought I had with the voices in my head...
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 01:54:34 PM »
About 50 miles NW of San Antonio.  We actually are having an ice event and I realize that water in the collection cone will freeze, but my anemometer has frozen and stopped spinning.  Any suggestions?  We are supposed to get to almost 7F this coming late weekend/next week and I would really like to track the wind chill so any help would be appreciated.

It is going to be an interesting next several days for most of Texas. I expect my anemometer will ice up at some point too. National Weather Service Dallas/Fort Worth has been trying to get the word out about the seriousness of the situation. I hope the general public is listening. (By the way... I grew up near you off I10 in Boerne.)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 07:07:59 PM »
Antifreeze?

If I am remembering correctly, it was "Scalphunter" from Alaska. He had a vacuum hose stretched up the pole connected to  a 12 volt windshield washer pump that would spray his anny with antifreeze.

Doug
I remember him. Used to like hearing his stories about the brutally cold weather  and life in general up there. Think he had an issue with some other posters. Wish he would come back.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 08:01:14 PM »
Antifreeze?

Doug
I remember him. Used to like hearing his stories about the brutally cold weather  and life in general up there. Think he had an issue with some other posters. Wish he would come back.
I helped him out the door. His incessant bitching about how his Davis would only go down to -40F (just one facet) got really old. We got it, we got it....

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 01:11:45 AM »
Well, now I'm feeling pretty stupid.  Earlier today I had noticed that the wind was zero on several occasions that I checked my Davis console and it took a while to sink in that my anemometer my be frozen up.  Sure enough.  Iced over in Austin Texas!  The funny thing was the third time I noticed the 0 wind speed, I checked some other stations near me and they too had zero wind and I thought to myself, "well, mine must be reading correctly".   D'oh!   
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline flyingvranch

• Contributor
    • KI5OMM Weather Station
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 08:14:41 AM »
Mine iced over yesterday morning in Huntsville, TX. I'm sure it will do it again before this cold snap is done.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 04:07:21 PM »
Antifreeze?

Doug
I helped him out the door. His incessant bitching about how his Davis would only go down to -40F (just one facet) got really old. We got it, we got it....
So you are to blame?
Go take a time out  and don't piss anyone off anymore. :grin:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:09:09 PM by ocala »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 04:26:57 PM »
Antifreeze?

Doug
So you are to blame?
Go take a time out  and don't piss anyone off anymore. :grin:
Well..maybe a little .... I'll post back when I've left the corner.  :oops:

anything