Author Topic: Welcome to the Hydreon board!  (Read 9076 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Welcome to the Hydreon board!
« on: October 03, 2011, 12:25:45 PM »
This is for discussion, installation, and operating tips and questions for the Hydreon RG-11 Optical Rain Sensor

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
Re: Welcome to the Hydreon board!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »
Does this unit connect to a read out box or a computer?

Tim

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »
Does this unit connect to a read out box or a computer?

Tim

It's a bit more complicated than that. If by read-out box you mean a counter, then yes, that is one way it can be used.

You can read about it at http://www.rainsensors.com/ and download the manual PDF at http://www.rainsensors.com/docs/rg-11_instructions.pdf.

It has a single SPDT relay output, and several different modes.

*  Tipping Bucket Emulation-- Replace your tipping bucket with a low maintenance alternative.
    * "It's Raining"-- Close a skylight at the first sign of rain, and open it when it stops raining.
    * Condensation / Frost Sensing
    * Wiper control
    * Irrigation Control-- No more watering during a downpour!
    * Drop Detection

As a rain gauge it can be set for several different modes, like 0.01", 0.001", or even 0.0001" (and similar metric modes). However, even in 0.01" mode it's not as accurate as a tipping bucket, let alone a manual gauge.

There's a older thread about it at http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=12273.0 if you want to read more.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:51:57 PM »
Got one here too - must get round to setting it up (good intentions and all that, but last few weeks here have been seriously busy).

But I will aim to set it up at a site where there are good manual rainfall measurements being made (as well as Davis ones). So it will be an interesting comparison over the coming months.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »
I wonder if Davis is investigating these devices as an alternative to their leaf moisture sensors? These could actually provide some estimate of the amount of dew or frost on leaves instead of the unitless measurement number the current leaf sensors output. They of course would have to modify the leaf/soil stations to accept these or offer a special auxiliary station just to measure rainfall/moisture with them.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
I wonder if Davis is investigating these devices as an alternative to their leaf moisture sensors? These could actually provide some estimate of the amount of dew or frost on leaves instead of the unitless measurement number the current leaf sensors output. They of course would have to modify the leaf/soil stations to accept these or offer a special auxiliary station just to measure rainfall/moisture with them.

I doubt it. The RG-11 requires 50 ma of AC or DC power, and the only output is a relay closure. It would take a major hardware and firmware rework to implement one of these on a VP system.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 03:51:03 PM »
...and the only output is a relay closure.

Do you think it actually is a relay closure? I know the documentation says that but it just strikes me as a bit odd that someone would use a mechanical relay these days rather than a solid-state equivalent, eg a thyristor/triac or whatever they might be called now. The quoted max voltage seems somewhat low (24v) for relay contacts.

But same difference I know - equivalent to a contact closure.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »

Do you think it actually is a relay closure? I know the documentation says that but it just strikes me as a bit odd that someone would use a mechanical relay these days rather than a solid-state equivalent, eg a thyristor/triac or whatever they might be called now. The quoted max voltage seems somewhat low (24v) for relay contacts.

But same difference I know - equivalent to a contact closure.

Oh, yeah, it's a relay.

1) If you open your unit up, you will see it on the underside of the board.

2) If you do nothing more then power up your unit with 12 VDC in the stock 0.01" rain gauge mode, and spray a little water on the dome, you will hear/feel the relay click for every hundredth of an inch it senses. A the same time, the green activity LED in the center of the top of the board will light up.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 05:21:15 AM »
Oh, yeah, it's a relay.

OK thanks - interesting. Just slightly surprised - I'd have guessed that the solid state part would do the same job, was cheaper than a mechanical relay, used less power, had a quicker response time and was more reliable. And Davis have been using the solid state part in the Alarm logger ever since it was introduced (5-6 years?). Guess there must be some design reason for Hydreon using the mechanical part but I can't immediately think what.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline JimLill

• WX
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 07:56:46 AM »
Guess there must be some design reason for Hydreon using the mechanical part but I can't immediately think what.

Relays are immune to bad hook ups, polarity issues etc.

anything