Author Topic: Lost gold star by upgrading  (Read 6738 times)

Offline Denpat

Lost gold star by upgrading
« on: May 13, 2017, 09:43:06 AM »
I upgraded my Oregon Scientific console from WMR100 to WMR200 and in doing so i lost my gold star. I am running Weather Display 10.37S19. The only changes that I had to make was to change the station from 100 to 200 and change the barometer offset in the software. I have been reporting to Weather Underground flawlessly now for 6 days and haven't got the gold star back  again. I am reporting to CWOP and the data is rock solid. I am just curious if anyone else has had an issue like this and what they did to correct it.

I know that the gold star doesn't mean that much, but it tells me that something isn't quite right with my station. My WMR100 station has had the gold start consistantly since it came out.

My station number is KCOFORTC80.

Thanks

Dennis

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Re: Lost gold star by upgrading
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 12:08:10 PM »
Needs to be 5 full consecutive days, you may have had a break in data sending without you knowing/realising
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »
You'll get it back.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 03:00:59 PM »
I know that the gold star doesn't mean that much, but it tells me that something isn't quite right with my station.
Dennis
BS. The only person who knows if your PWS is working properly is YOU. The "star doesn't mean that much", no, it means nothing.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 03:46:16 PM »
I know that the gold star doesn't mean that much, but it tells me that something isn't quite right with my station.
Dennis
BS. The only person who knows if your PWS is working properly is YOU. The "star doesn't mean that much", no, it means nothing.

That's not quite accurate, the star is a good indicator to let you know that your data has been received for at least 5 consecutive days,  if the star is lost, then it means there was a problem getting data to WU for whatever reason, it will be easy to figure out when but it will be tedious work, just need to go through the data table and check for gaps in the times.

When I lose the star I like to know why,  it's always because of me not sending data for a short time, I. E.
a few hours, and normally when I was out or away from the weather server so I miss the issue, it could be cause I updated WD and failed to notice that I have to click ok on the population to allow posting to WU, this one reason, or my PC lost connect to the network etc...
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Denpat

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »
I will check when I get home this afternoon. I sincerely appreciate the replies. I will wait a couple more days and see what happens.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »
Not true, people here have reported getting the star day after registering the station to WU.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
It will depend on how the algorithm is setup, I don't know anything about it, only going on my experience over the last few months, I had a lot of outages due to my wifi dongle interfering with my Weatherlink USB, a few hours or more and I lost my gold star, I've only just got it back actually, uploading to wu was off today due to me download data from an old account in to WD, cause of that wd took it upon itself to use my old wu a
ID as my latest account ID, I failed to notice it for a while, at least an hour so let's see if I lose my star over the next few days, I'm hoping it wasn't long enough, only time will tell, but, what I have said above is true, 5 consecutive days and you get the star, but, it will depend on how the checking is done, you may have to wait 7 days if it does I every 7 days and you started at the beginning of the cycle...
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 05:37:15 PM »
Dennis

That's not quite accurate, the star is a good indicator to let you know that your data has been received for at least 5 consecutive days,
You go right on ahead believing that....

Offline Denpat

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 06:08:32 PM »
I just got home and I have the gold star back. I don't understand that much about it, but by my calculations it took 6 days for it to come back.

I want to thank everyone that took the time to reply to my post.

Dennis

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »
Lets be honest, the gold star is a one big (random) joke... to me it seems just like something to move attention from all the problems WU has. And if it was to be at least a little bit useful, it would be consistent and would have some documentation as to how it is assigned.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 12:47:22 AM »
I just got home and I have the gold star back. I don't understand that much about it, but by my calculations it took 6 days for it to come back.

I want to thank everyone that took the time to reply to my post.

Dennis

That just supports what i have said, glad ya got it back

Dennis
That's not quite accurate, the star is a good indicator to let you know that your data has been received for at least 5 consecutive days,
You go right on ahead believing that....

I can only go by my own experience and what it says on WU but,
as his star has now returned,  pretty much confirming what i had said above, my case on this one has now rested :)

Kind regards
Bashy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 09:36:27 AM »
my case on this one has now rested :)
And I rule in favour of the Plaintiff, with no damages awarded!

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 09:59:23 AM »
Not even a star????? :(
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
On appeal to Supreme Court in a 4 to 3 affirmative; "Gold Star" usage permitted!  The dissenting Judges' dissenting opinion: What is the value!

Enjoy and Share,
Paul

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »
Do they still use the gold & silver stars for the kiddies, or it it too old school?   :-)
Randy

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
If you even re-boot things on your end, like the computer, or your console, the gold star will likely go away for a while. The gold star is just there I think to show consistency. It also may go off if you get booted from the Wundermap for a thermometer reading they feel is too high or low, like 4+/-F from your neighbors.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 03:16:31 PM »
Not even a star????? :(
Wye Shore!

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 06:52:25 AM »
I had a lot of outages due to my wifi dongle interfering with my Weatherlink USB, a few hours or more and I lost my gold star, I've only just got it back actually, uploading to wu was off today due to me download data from an old account in to WD, cause of that wd took it upon itself to use my old wu a
ID as my latest account ID, I failed to notice it for a while, at least an hour so let's see if I lose my star over the next few days,

Like i said above, i was right, i have lost my star now due to the above
again, this adds more proof to what i have been saying ;)

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IWEETING2#history
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline A1cntrler

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 09:36:55 PM »
Needs to be 5 full consecutive days, you may have had a break in data sending without you knowing/realising

My brother's station was offline for a week while he was away on a trip.  Something in his network failed.  He had to order a new switch.  Total time WU reported him as offline was 10 days.  Within an hour of his network being back online he had his "Gold Star" back.  I'm not at all sure how they determine what is and isn't gold star material, but it sure isn't 5 days of consecutive data.... 
Ambient WS-5000 (KVACHEST93)

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 10:28:44 PM »
We've been trying to tell others that but they failed to listen. Maybe they will now.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 12:38:34 AM »
I am only going by 1, my experience, perhaps it different over here in the UK but i very much doubt it, my last boot
off took a good few days before i got it back, and 2, if ya hover over the star, it says the info there.

I have never been given a star for just a days worth of data let alone 1hr,
Perhaps it was because he had gone 10 days, therefore his star came back cause they felt blessed that he decided to return

I would be up for some realtime experimenting on this, around 12pm GMT today (7th June) i will stop data send to WU for 2 hours
I think that will be enough time off line, it will prob take a day or so before i lose the star, just depends when the checking is done
Then we will see how long it will take for it to come back :D

link again in case ya can be asked to look up...

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IWEETING2#history

best set the alarm on my phone now to remind me to disconnect lol

PS i said 12pm so that you have a few hours to check that i have my star now....
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 06:32:28 AM »
The bottomline is, this feature is absolutely inconsistent (just like everything else with WU - API etc.) and absolutely useless...

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 07:01:24 AM »
I have just turned it off, will put it back on at 2pm GMT. By rights i should lose my star
on the next update, at the latest tomorrow morning. then we shall see how long it takes before it comes back

I myself have no issues with WU other than it being a bit slow, such as wundermap
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 08:27:12 AM »
Hi Bashy,
I would not be surprised if it took 5 days for you to get it back. Thats the whole point. It is absolutely inconsistent. Some get it after 1h, others after 5 days, some lose it after 10 minutes, others never... not to mention that the actually data accuracy is totally irrelevant to get the star...

anything