Author Topic: Suggest me a Vantage Pro2 product and a software  (Read 4784 times)

Offline FatmirJusufi

Suggest me a Vantage Pro2 product and a software
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:46:53 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new here on this board.
Could anyone suggest me the best choice for one of Vantage Pro2 products. I'm interested only at wireless ones.

• Standard Radiation Shield

• Standard Radiation Shield & UV/Solar Sensors

• Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield

• Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield & UV/Solar Sensors

Also I'm in doubt between Weatherlink and Virtual Weather Station Software. Which one should I choose?

I really appreciate your help.

Kind regards,
Fatmir

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
Re: Suggest me a Vantage Pro2 product and a software
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:46:35 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new here on this board.
Could anyone suggest me the best choice for one of Vantage Pro2 products. I'm interested only at wireless ones.

• Standard Radiation Shield

• Standard Radiation Shield & UV/Solar Sensors

• Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield

• Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield & UV/Solar Sensors

Also I'm in doubt between Weatherlink and Virtual Weather Station Software. Which one should I choose?

I really appreciate your help.

Kind regards,
Fatmir

I myself would have gone with the Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield & UV/Solar Sensors, then you have uv and solar + you will have the temp measure more acurrate in sunny wearher because of the fan, but thats me. In the end is the money who talks ;)

When it comes to the software, you must have weatherlink if you shall have the station data into a pc, thats because it's a data logger (a hardware) in that package whit the weatherlink software.
Hope it was understandable, and for any help :)
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

Offline FatmirJusufi

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:59:08 AM »
I myself would have gone with the Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield & UV/Solar Sensors, then you have uv and solar + you will have the temp measure more acurrate in sunny wearher because of the fan, but thats me. In the end is the money who talks ;)

When it comes to the software, you must have weatherlink if you shall have the station data into a pc, thats because it's a data logger (a hardware) in that package whit the weatherlink software.
Hope it was understandable, and for any help :)

Sure it was understandable. Thanks for your reply.

I really hope I can afford the Fan-Aspirated one. I'll try to work hard this summer. :)

Regards,
Fatmir

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:17:19 AM »
I personally wanted the 24 hr FARS because I thought that the temperatures often drop rapidly here in the desert right after sunset and very early in the morning just before sunrise.  It turns out than on some days the drop can be as much as 10 degrees F in one hour.  Actually I really didn't know how extreme these changes were before setting up my weather station and in hindsight I'm glad I chose the 24 hour fan because the the daylight FARs would be powered off at those times and the ISS wouldn't fully capture those temperature drops.

The FARS also helps prevent the daytime solar heating of the radiation shielding.  I've compared my morning temperatures to other manufacturers' stations that do not offer FARS and I can see that those stations heat up much faster in the sunlight and give excessive readings of 10-20 degrees F in the mornings.

To save money, I only chose to add the solar sensor separately to the 24 Hr FARS ISS. It is necessary for ET calculations.  The UV sensor is much more expensive than the solar sensor and I wasn't overly concerned about recording UV levels.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:13:35 AM »
Well if you can afford it the one with the  fan and the uv/solar sensors is the best bang for your buck. I have the standard shield and just a solar sensor so far(the basic wireless station from davis) and i love it. 

as for software in order to put data on your computer you need weatherlink as it comes with the data logger(you dont have to use the software but  it comes with the data logger) i use vws right now and have for a year and i really like it, its very easy to learn to use and has an easy website builder. Also if you download weatherground heavy weather uploader, you can run that with vws(via the data file) and it will allow you to easily upload your weather data so several weather sites.

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline FatmirJusufi

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 12:31:27 PM »
Thanks, guys. After your advises I should really think purchasing FARS product.

Fatmir

Offline offroadjosh

• Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 12:53:05 PM »
Make your purchase on ambient weather and get the low price quote(they email it to you) it saves you a lot of money when buying it.

Josh
Josh Patten

Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
CWOP-DW0711
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline FatmirJusufi

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »
Make your purchase on ambient weather and get the low price quote(they email it to you) it saves you a lot of money when buying it.

Josh

I have just sent them an email to see if they provide worldwide shipments.

Fatmir

Offline offroadjosh

• Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:35:34 PM »
have you bought a station yet??

Josh
Josh Patten

Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
CWOP-DW0711
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline FatmirJusufi

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 06:55:51 AM »
have you bought a station yet??

Josh

Hi Josh. Sorry for this late reply.

Unfortunately not yet! I'm still sparing some money to afford it.  :-(

Fatmir

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 04:41:31 PM »
I bought my wireless Vantage Pro 2 on eBay brand new in original box for $393. That saved me $150 over the cheapest regular store around.  If I could do it over again I would add the fan aspirated radiation shield.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 05:13:01 PM »
Folks, according to Fatmir's profile he is located in "Pristina, Kosovo". That could result in some challenges relative to import fees, VAT, etc.

I do agree though that you should purchase the 24-hour FARS unit w/Solar & UV sensors. It is a lot less expensive than adding the units later. PLUS, you cannot purchase the 24-hour FARS as an add-on afterwards. Davis only has a Daytime-only FARS unit as an add-on.

While it will take longer to get, save your money and then get what you really want. You WON'T be disappointed with any Davis unit.

When you do get your new unit doesn't hesitate to come back to this forum and ask questions, if you have any. The is a lot of expertise here.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849