Author Topic: Fan getting weak  (Read 3175 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Fan getting weak
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 10:59:30 PM »
I checked battery voltage and it is at 2.9 volts.
But now I assume you checked the ISS batteries?  [Yes, I know what "ass u me" means]
It's DFARS. The battery has nothing to do with the fan, just the transmitter. The solar panel only charges the super-cap and runs the fan when there's ample sunlight.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 11:24:52 PM »
I checked battery voltage and it is at 2.9 volts.
But now I assume you checked the ISS batteries?  [Yes, I know what "ass u me" means]
It's DFARS. The battery has nothing to do with the fan, just the transmitter. The solar panel only charges the super-cap and runs the fan when there's ample sunlight.

I understand that.  I was just trying to verify what battery voltage Wxman measured. 

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »
I pulled the battery out of the ISS, took it to my workshop, threw the volt meter on it, and got 2.9 volts.  So I assumed it was not the problem and popped it back in.

The fan motor has been changed, as mentioned, so it's not the problem either.

So I guess that leaves two possibilities:  the solar panel or something on the ISS circuit board.

Does anyone know what the output voltage FROM the solar panel on the ISS cover TO the DFARS fan should be?  I'll test mine this afternoon to see what it's putting out.

Also, I would love to buy a supplemental solar panel to wire in also and that way I can face it to the west and have the fan run until the sun actually sets during summer.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »
I just checked my dfars solar panel. I'm getting 2.35 volts directly toward the sun. This isn't normal sun angle however. My larger dfars panel comes with 24hr. shield at normal sun angle for cell this time of year facing south is only putting out 1.9 volts.

So around 1.9v would be about what you see at normal sun angle dead of summer. As sun angle is lower more inline with solar cell angle this fall and spring voltage would go up I'm assuming. 

Check voltage output on both cells  dfars panel one goes to fan the other for charging super capacitor.
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »
In addition to measuring the voltage of the solar panel with the panel disconnected,

Check the voltage at the fan terminals with the solar panel connected and facing the sun.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2018, 01:58:33 PM »
I did have one DFARS panel go bad, only happened the one time so its really rare considering. 

Only half the panel went bad the Dfars are split panels. If they are showing voltage regardless of how much depending on sun angle time of day, fan load etc. the panel is good. When a panel goes bad it will show 0 volts.
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2018, 02:05:12 PM »
I did have one DFARS panel go bad, only happened the one time so its really rare considering. 

Only half the panel went bad the Dfars are split panels. If they are showing voltage regardless of how much depending on sun angle time of day, fan load etc. the panel is good. When a panel goes bad it will show 0 volts.

There are solar panel failure modes that result in reduced (non-zero) voltage, and also in reduced current capability. 

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2018, 05:29:01 PM »
 okay so I got some readings and I learn something new. The upper portion of the solar panel does not have any control over the fan. It's the bottom portion that makes the fan run. I tested the upper portion and got 2.2V facing west toward the sun,  and 2.1V facing south mounted to ISS. But...the bottom portion only outputs 1.83V when facing the sun and drops off to 0.25V when mounted on ISS facing south. At the fan, I get 1.72V with the panel facing the sun. At this point the fan will run. As soon as I turn the solar panel in any direction away from direct sun angle the voltage drops off so fast that the fan won't run.

So, it appears that my solar panel cover is to blame. Does anybody know of a supplemental solar panel that I could tie in along with this one to supply additional voltage? I would like to mount it and face it to the West so that the fan will run for more of the day.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 05:42:41 PM »
So, it appears that my solar panel cover is to blame. Does anybody know of a supplemental solar panel that I could tie in along with this one to supply additional voltage? I would like to mount it and face it to the West so that the fan will run for more of the day.
You shouldn't need to supplement anything. I would merely buy another panel cover.
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7345-116-pro2-solar-cover-for-daytime-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield-kit/

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 06:11:16 PM »
If you want a more reliable fan that really pulls some serious air (Don't go too high) some here are using AC fans.
This deserves repeating. If you're able, this solves ALL the problems you're experiencing/addressing. Can't recommend this enough.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 06:50:33 PM »
okay so I got some readings and I learn something new. The upper portion of the solar panel does not have any control over the fan. It's the bottom portion that makes the fan run. I tested the upper portion and got 2.2V facing west toward the sun,  and 2.1V facing south mounted to ISS. But...the bottom portion only outputs 1.83V when facing the sun and drops off to 0.25V when mounted on ISS facing south. At the fan, I get 1.72V with the panel facing the sun. At this point the fan will run. As soon as I turn the solar panel in any direction away from direct sun angle the voltage drops off so fast that the fan won't run.

First I would wire the top (good) panel into fan just to make sure... Worst thing to happen is you will drain some of the transmitter battery. These transmitters can go months without any solar. I have one in the garage running just on battery. Plus doesn't take a lot of sun for super cap to charge.  If fan spins normally you will have no doubt. Maybe even try it like that sharing panel for awhile, I'm not convinced you need a full panel just for supercap and transmitter signal.

As far as replacement I would just order a new cover or add the larger solar panel used on 24 hr fars. 

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7345-116-pro2-solar-cover-for-daytime-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield-kit/

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7345-119-pro2-24hr-spars-solar-panel/
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 07:00:56 PM »

or add the larger solar panel used on 24 hr fars. 
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7345-119-pro2-24hr-spars-solar-panel/
If you don't want/can't do a/c, I'll give you this, used of course, but still should work just fine. It's merely siting in my spare parts bin collecting dust, as I'll probably never use it again.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 07:19:21 PM »
Good deal..    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2018, 07:04:39 AM »

If you don't want/can't do a/c, I'll give you this, used of course, but still should work just fine. It's merely siting in my spare parts bin collecting dust, as I'll probably never use it again.

You have a spare solar cover you'll never use again?  That would be great.  But it looks like they are relatively inexpensive at scaled instruments so I don't mind buying one if you think you may ever have another use for yours.

I can't do AC because it's just not feasible in the location where my station is out in the field.

Reason I was considering a second panel to face west is that I figured it would help keep the fan going longer as the sun is setting and the air is still hot and humid for a while.  But I guess I'll try a new cover first and see how it works.

Thanks for all the help.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2018, 03:56:15 PM »

You have a spare solar cover you'll never use again? 
No sir, not a cover, this is the panel that charges the fan's batteries and runs the fan itself on the 24hr FARS. I no longer use it.

If you're getting a new solar cover for the DFARS, I'd see if that solves your issues before messing with the 24hr panel. If you decide you still want it, it yours.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help.  I'm going to order a new cover pretty soon and hopefully that'll fix the issues.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »
So I'm still trying to diagnose this.   :roll:

I finally got a new solar cover.  I checked voltage at the terminals on the cover.  Both the top panel and the bottom panel are putting out 2.5 volts.  OK so I plug it up to the ISS and the fan still doesn't come on.  Sigh..

So I checked voltage at the terminals on the solar cover WITH IT PLUGGED UP TO THE ISS and now I get 0.52 volts. 

So, when it's not plugged up it puts out good voltage and when it is plugged up the voltage drops.  I then checked my old panel and it turns out that it's the same way.  So my solar cover wasn't the problem afterall.

So what's going on here?  Fan is new, cover is fine, battery is fine.  Why is my voltage dropping and not allowing my fan to run??

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline user3162

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2018, 01:56:34 PM »

First I would wire the top (good) panel into fan just to make sure... Worst thing to happen is you will drain some of the transmitter battery. These transmitters can go months without any solar. I have one in the garage running just on battery. Plus doesn't take a lot of sun for super cap to charge.  If fan spins normally you will have no doubt. Maybe even try it like that sharing panel for awhile, I'm not convinced you need a full panel just for supercap and transmitter signal.

As far as replacement I would just order a new cover or add the larger solar panel used on 24 hr fars. 

Crap, I paid $62 at Ambient for the  7345.116 cover, wish I had seen this sooner.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2018, 06:26:09 PM »
So I'm still trying to diagnose this.   :roll:

I finally got a new solar cover.  I checked voltage at the terminals on the cover.  Both the top panel and the bottom panel are putting out 2.5 volts.  OK so I plug it up to the ISS and the fan still doesn't come on.  Sigh..

So I checked voltage at the terminals on the solar cover WITH IT PLUGGED UP TO THE ISS and now I get 0.52 volts. 

So, when it's not plugged up it puts out good voltage and when it is plugged up the voltage drops.  I then checked my old panel and it turns out that it's the same way.  So my solar cover wasn't the problem afterall.

So what's going on here?  Fan is new, cover is fine, battery is fine.  Why is my voltage dropping and not allowing my fan to run??

Battery would have nothing to do with Dfar fan that's part of the ISS transmitter.
Double check everything make sure all plugs are wired correctly.

And you say fan is new? Freely spins by hand inside where it sits no obstruction binding fan like a cable etc.

The upper solar panel is plugged into the ISS for charging capacitor
The lower solar panel is plugged into the fan assembly wire
Fan Assembly wire is plugged into fan
Voltages are good until you plug fan in and it doesn't spin

If all correct i would say fan is bad drawing the extra current.

You may need to contact Davis but go over manual again and check fan for free movement and all plugs are correct.

Randy

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »
Yes, fan is new, but the old one it replaced works exactly the same.  That is, if I give them a flip with my finger they'll take off and run slowly IF the panel is aimed directly at the sun.  So, I don't think the fan is the issue.

And now I've got two solar covers that both are working exactly the same.  2.5 volts unplugged, 0.5 volts plugged into the fan.

So I just need to figure out where the voltage drop is happening.  Could a faulty wire cause that?  The DFARS is wired directly from the solar cover to the fan, right?  The ISS circuit board doesn't act as a middle man?

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline brett c

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »
Yes, fan is new, but the old one it replaced works exactly the same.  That is, if I give them a flip with my finger they'll take off and run slowly IF the panel is aimed directly at the sun.  So, I don't think the fan is the issue.

And now I've got two solar covers that both are working exactly the same.  2.5 volts unplugged, 0.5 volts plugged into the fan.

So I just need to figure out where the voltage drop is happening.  Could a faulty wire cause that?  The DFARS is wired directly from the solar cover to the fan, right?  The ISS circuit board doesn't act as a middle man?

There is a little board sitting as the middleman between the solar, the two batteries, and the fan. I would check that board out. Said board is 100% split away from the ISS box and its own solar panel. It's under a little white pop-off half dome cover, that looks just like this: https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7342-514-vantage-pro2-spars-pcba-junction-board-shield/

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7315-053a-pro2-24hr-spars-pcba-circuit/

I honestly wish that little board had the monitor plugs on it, and plugged into the ISS. It would be able to see charge level and fan speed...

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2018, 08:33:58 PM »
But mine is a daytime FARS so I don't have that cover. 

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2018, 08:45:49 PM »
Have you tried to contact Davis and give them everything you know including voltages. I keep going back fan but don't want you to do it without Davis input first.
Randy

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2018, 09:48:05 AM »
No, I haven't contacted Davis.  I'm sure they'd say I need to buy one of THEIR replacement fans and they can't help me since I'm using a universal fan motor of a different brand.

And to tell you the truth, I think that may be my next move.  I eliminated the wiring as a culprit because I connected the solar cover terminals directly to the fan terminals and got the same results.  2.5 volts disconnected, but down to below 0.2 volts when connected.  So, it surely has to be an issue at the fan itself.  The solar cover is fine and the wiring is fine.

I ordered the exact fan motor that others have said they used with success.  So this is odd.  But I think at this point the next logical step is to order a Davis fan.  I guess I'll try that and see what happens.   #-o

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »
I didn't realize it wasn't a Davis fan. I've never tried one of those aftermarket motors but very possible you just got a bad unit.
After everything you've tried yes I would try a stock Davis fan.
Randy

anything