Author Topic: Water LEVEL monitoring (i.e. river level)  (Read 6892 times)

Offline ACWxRADAR

Water LEVEL monitoring (i.e. river level)
« on: October 25, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »
I have a "techy" DIY project in mind for my home weather station.  I would like to engineer a water level monitoring system for the river by my cabin.

I am pondering the use of an ultrasonic sensor that would mount from a mast or a pole along the river bank and hang out over the river.  The sensor would detect the distance from the mounting position to the water surface and output an analog signal that would be scaled and calibrated and converted to a signal representing the elevation of the river level.

If I were to convert this signal to the same protocol that a temperature probe for a home weather station uses (specifically a Davis Vantage Vue station) then I could monitor the reading via my console.  I would need to know what sensor the Davis add-on special purpose stations and temperature probe uses (i.e. thermocouple or RTD, etc. and what type) so that I can design the conversion electronics.

The readout on my weather console would display the level in °F and mean nothing to anyone but myself, but if I were to spend the time to scale and calibrate it fairly accurately, it would provide me with a reasonable measurement of the actual river level in real time.

For example:  A NORMAL river level would be an arbitrary reference point I select to be 0 feet = 0°F.  A LOW river level of -3 feet = -30°F and a HIGH or flood stage level could be +10 feet = 100°F.

I could buy an add-on wireless (solar powered) leaf and soil moisture/temperature station such as the Davis 6345 or 6345CS.  Plus weather Envoy or Envoy 8X.  I would install three temperature probes (Davis 6475 or 6477).  One of the temperature inputs could be dedicated to monitoring actual water temperature, one to monitor actual air temperature and one for ground temperature.  A fourth temperature input would be dedicated to my DIY converted water level sensor.

Does anyone know what Davis' uses for a temperature probe with their 6475 or 6477 temperature sensors?  All their catalog states is that they are either a SS or a Plastic probe with a 25 foot cable and RJ45 connector.  Oh, I see that it does state 2-wire termination.

Anyone have any input for me on this DIY idea?

Thanks,

RADAR

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:49:31 PM by ACWxRADAR »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Water LEVEL monitoring (i.e. river level)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »
Well, I guess since Im an anti-talent in terms of physically creating something or building, the only way I can help is by encouragning you to do it, because it sounds really interesting and Im sure there will be others that will know more, lot of technically skillful people here.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »
Check out the offerings at www.maxbotix.com. There is an application guide that can help you choose the right sensor.

I am using one of their sensors for snowdepth monitoring. I use the RS232 output, but they also put out an analog voltage that might work with what you are considering.

The "beehive" is a stack of two Davis VUE shields with a small fan on one of the layers. These ultrasonic sensors must be temperature compensated. I have an external sensor mounted in the shield.

I plot the data using some parsing scripts and plotting programs. Here is the result. There is some variation in the measurement, but I have it largely under control. The variation is typically a couple of tenths of an inch (a few mm).

Does anyone know what Davis' uses for a temperature probe with their 6475 or 6477 temperature sensors?

I believe that it is an RTD.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 03:34:41 PM »
Sadly, my input will be a bit of a wet blanket.  While the Maxbotic US sensor will provide a signal that you might be able to calibrate to the temp sensor curve, you won't be able to see it on your Vue console. IIRC not even the Vantage console displays the 2-4th extra temp/hum sensors; you need software like Weatherlink etc. to see the readings.

I have spent a lot of time looking at water level solutions and getting them directly read by a Davis system is highly problematic.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 09:28:29 PM »
Not sure if discussion here is any help http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=25252.msg243263#msg243263

Paul

Offline ACWxRADAR

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 09:37:17 AM »
Miraculon,

Your snow sensor setup is quite interesting and a great deal akin to what I envisioned for my river level sensor.  It looks really awesome!  I will have to research the MaxBotix sensor in more depth, but I had better learn more about my Davis system first of course.

I surmised that the Davis temperature sensors were some variety of RTD, for their accuracy, resolution and response time.  I would like to learn precisely what type of RTD they are so I can get the calibration curve exact. 

I would need to be as accurate as I can in order to compensate for the crudeness and errors of other design parameters.  I am not expecting this DIY water level sensor to be extremely accurate.
But if it provides a reasonable measure of the water level rise and fall, I would be most happy! 

RADAR

Offline ACWxRADAR

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »
Sadly, my input will be a bit of a wet blanket.  While the Maxbotic US sensor will provide a signal that you might be able to calibrate to the temp sensor curve, you won't be able to see it on your Vue console. IIRC not even the Vantage console displays the 2-4th extra temp/hum sensors; you need software like Weatherlink etc. to see the readings.

I have spent a lot of time looking at water level solutions and getting them directly read by a Davis system is highly problematic.

Hi Bushman,

Oh yes.  Certainly I did not expect that the Vantage Vue console would display this info.  I already have the WeatherLink USB software and the hardware (logger) to attach to my PC to the system. 
I was planning to purchase a Davis Envoy or Envoy 8X and one of the "satellite" moisture/temperature stations offered to hopefully accommodate this DIY sensor.

RADAR

Offline ACWxRADAR

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 09:56:12 AM »
Not sure if discussion here is any help http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=25252.msg243263#msg243263

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I just briefly glanced at that discussion.  I will read and analyze it more thoroughly after I have been able to get more sleep and my eyes straighten out better - been awake for a long time after just two hours of sleep and three LONGGGG days!  ha ha

RADAR

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 01:06:11 AM »
Regarding the link to the Well Watch 660, I now have several installed on our water company wells.

There are a couple of problems with it for a river level application. It will not work over an open channel (needs a stilling well), and it has a minimum distance of 10'. So,  you would need a pipe > 10' for a stilling well extending into the river.

What max level difference in the water level are you looking at? If you can implement a stilling well, you might be able to use Milone Level Sensing Tape as I mentioned in http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=25127. Check out that thread, Adafruit, and the Milone site for more details

Offline erikmm

• Senior Contributor
    • Hørning By Vejr
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 07:40:48 AM »
You could use something like an pressure sensor like this:
http://www.stevenswater.com/catalog/Product.aspx?SKU=%2793720%27
Erik M M
---------------
Hørning By Vejr
http://www.danmaach.dk

Offline ACWxRADAR

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 09:05:23 AM »
Regarding the link to the Well Watch 660, I now have several installed on our water company wells.

There are a couple of problems with it for a river level application. It will not work over an open channel (needs a stilling well), and it has a minimum distance of 10'. So,  you would need a pipe > 10' for a stilling well extending into the river.

What max level difference in the water level are you looking at? If you can implement a stilling well, you might be able to use Milone Level Sensing Tape as I mentioned in http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=25127. Check out that thread, Adafruit, and the Milone site for more details

Good Morning SLO,

The maximum change in level to be monitored would be 18 feet, but generally would be -2ft to +10ft from the reference level.  Anything greater than +16ft would probably wipe out all the equipment and my cabin!

I do understand that I will need to take into account the open water.  I am contemplating how to go about this with ideas such as a stilling well as you mention.  Wave action from wind and boat wakes will influence the operation of the sensor as well as debris floating on the surface.   

I have two main goals in this project.  The primary goal is to monitor the river level during flooding.  The secondary goal is to monitor the actual water temperature to gauge fish activity during fishing season.

When this river floods, a great deal of debris is discharged from the various tributary creeks and farmland.  Corn stalks, leaves, twigs, branches, stumps, whole trees and other vegetation accompany most floods.  Not to mention refuse garbage, unfortunately.  In late winter or early spring there would be crushing ice and slush.

Therefore, I obviously must account for all these conditions so that the sensor may read accurately, consistently and must also be protected.  This may prove to be more challenging than designing the sensor itself and making it communicate with my weather station equipment.

One idea I have is to set a vertical culvert along the river bank in a protective cove and mount the sensor above it in a shelter house or box.  I have several corrugated, black ABS plastic culverts which are ~14" diameter and 20 feet in length.  There are many 1/2" holes drilled into the sidewalls throughout the length as they were originally used for drying grain, so they are already perforated to allow water to enter and exit freely.  These tubes may make a fairly decent stilling well, if I protect them from the major icebergs and large trees.

I could also put a "tube inside a tube" using one of these culverts on the outside and a 6" PVC pipe inside to baffle and filter the water further and protect the inner tube even more.

The Milone sensing tape may be an option here, but I don't know if they offer them in the length that I would require (at a price I would be willing to pay).  That may require some engineering to utilize several strips to make the full length.

If I could count on the conductivity of the water remaining fairly consistent, I could make my own sensor using two SS rods inserted inside a perforated PVC tube.  The change in conductivity (or resistance) as the water level rises or falls could be monitored and the signal conditioned to emulate the output of the temperature probe for my weather station.  This would require additional circuitry to condition the signal, but could be done fairly inexpensively.  The major problem here is the variation in the conductivity of the river water when it floods.  If the percent of change of the conductivity is much greater than the percent of change in the water level, then the output signal would be misleading as it would be changing more rapidly than the actual rise in water level.

The conductivity, due to contaminants and salts, could not be calculated for because this may change greatly depending upon where the rain fell and where the water runoff came from.  If the watershed has high iron, mineral or salt content in the soil versus the runoff coming from melting snow over frozen ground, the conductivity could be extremely variable.  This would require a secondary sensor to monitor the conductivity of the water and additional circuitry to compensate for its change.  That is more work in engineering and not what I really want to engage in for this "simple" DIY project.

I need to read the whole discussion regarding the Well Watch 660. 

Thanks SLO,

RADAR

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 09:10:33 AM »

+1  This is the way to do it.  Sadly, not cheap nor easy to interface to a Davis wireless setup.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ACWxRADAR

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 09:21:41 AM »

Erikmm,

Hey, that might work! 

When I initially looked it up and read the info, I thought that it would be a pitfall because it had to be vented to atmospheric pressure for compensation.  But when I downloaded the data sheet, it stated that the cable was vented (and the customer had to specify the length desired).  This pressure sensor may work if I condition the 4-20mA output signal to a signal or resistance that emulates a temperature sensor.

I have bookmarked this sensor for more review.

Thanks Erikmm,

RADAR 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 09:32:11 AM »
If you get an Envoy 8X IIRC it has a 4-20ma input.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
RE: the submersible transducer. I've used those for years in tanks and wells. The one cited is actually a pretty good deal at $295. I'm used to paying twice that or more.

Lesson learned... Pay attention to the recommendation for a desiccant cartridge on the vent tube, and change it regularly. or, make it easy and get a bellows instead.

If you don't use one or the other, atmospheric moisture will enter the vent tube over time, condense, and gravity will pull it down to the sensor. Eventually, enough will collect to corrode or short out the electronics, causing the sensor to fail. It could take a year or 2 depending on the climate, but it will happen. Not changing the desiccant often enough will eventually cause the same problem. I've been using submersibles since before this lesson was learned, and the venting tube was used. The sensor was vented via the jute or other fiber core of the cable.

Operation in an environment with rapid level changes, like a wet well, makes the process even quicker, as the fluctuating water level exerts a small peristaltic-like pressure compression on the cable jacket, causing a pumping action on the cable.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 11:05:55 AM »
BTW, USA Bluebook is a great catalog for looking for industrial level sensors etc. They have ultrasonic transducers for just this type of application. Years ago, I used one over a Parshall flume carrying raw sewage to measure the flow. Their paper catalog is almost 1,800 pages.

usabluebook.com
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:08:03 AM by SLOweather »

Offline ACWxRADAR

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
If you get an Envoy 8X IIRC it has a 4-20ma input.

Bushman,

I did not know this.  That is GOOD information!

Thanks!

RADAR

Offline ACWxRADAR

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »
RE: the submersible transducer. I've used those for years in tanks and wells. The one cited is actually a pretty good deal at $295. I'm used to paying twice that or more.

Lesson learned... Pay attention to the recommendation for a desiccant cartridge on the vent tube, and change it regularly. or, make it easy and get a bellows instead.

If you don't use one or the other, atmospheric moisture will enter the vent tube over time, condense, and gravity will pull it down to the sensor. Eventually, enough will collect to corrode or short out the electronics, causing the sensor to fail. It could take a year or 2 depending on the climate, but it will happen. Not changing the desiccant often enough will eventually cause the same problem. I've been using submersibles since before this lesson was learned, and the venting tube was used. The sensor was vented via the jute or other fiber core of the cable.

Operation in an environment with rapid level changes, like a wet well, makes the process even quicker, as the fluctuating water level exerts a small peristaltic-like pressure compression on the cable jacket, causing a pumping action on the cable.

SLO,

The more I look at that transducer, the more I like it.

Incorporating this pressure transducer may save me a great deal in the design of the whole system.
At this moment, I am entertaining a thought of how to apply this sensor.  Allow me to explain.

I have installed many shallow wells for water service in my area.  I install a 1-1/4" galvanized well pipe with a screen sand point at the bottom of the pipe.  I install an old fashion hand op pitcher pump for priming and a 1/2 to 3/4 HP electric pump for useful operation.  These systems work great for our area and for cabin water supply, indoor and out.

I could drive a 1-1/4" sand point down into the river sand at the edge of the bank with sections of pipe atop for the length I need.  Maybe cut the bottom tip off and rethread extra sand points to insert into the pipe above to provide better water flow into the measuring chamber.  Or just drill some holes through the wall of the pipe and cover with SS screening to keep debris out.  This way, the overall pipe could be 20, 25 or 30 foot in length,  There could be sections of the pipe which are akin to sand points installed upwards along the pipe to allow the water to flow in and out of the pipe freely and nearly instantaneously at any height,

If I used one of those pressure sensors at the bottom of the pipe, I would be able to detect the weight or pressure of the column of water in the pipe above it.  With a galvanized 1-1/4" pipe and a few sections drilled with holes to allow water in and out, the water could flow free.  The sand point at the bottom, driven into the river bed in the sand, would allow me to measure water levels which are really low - below the grade of the  river bed and allow more accuracy to measure the column of water above.

The 1-1/4" galvanized water pipe would protect the sensor and the whole pipe could be installed adjacent to the bank where it could be better protected.

RADAR

Offline ACWxRADAR

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 10:16:59 PM »
Option:  http://www.jaycar.us/Outdoors-%26-Auto-Products/Weather-Forecasting/Keyrings/Ultrasonic-Water-Tank-Level-Meter-with-Thermo-Sensor/p/XC0331

That device is worth the <$45 to just play with!  If it doesn't work for my application, I won't feel bad for the experience!  For the price, I could find a way to utilize it.

I think that I will order at least one just on the whim to experiment with.

RADAR

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 07:28:54 AM »
Tony

Offline erikmm

• Senior Contributor
    • Hørning By Vejr
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »
Another way to go, when we are talking Ultrasonic, could be this model, that runs via TCP/IP and powered by POE
https://www.apgsensors.com/remote-monitoring/LOE

And for the record, somehow I don´t think it´s cheap.... ;-)
Erik M M
---------------
Hørning By Vejr

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 08:55:40 AM »
It's $803 on Amazon.  i'll pass.  :-P
Tony

Offline erikmm

• Senior Contributor
    • Hørning By Vejr
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 09:28:16 AM »
It's $803 on Amazon.  i'll pass.  :-P

Ouch.....
Erik M M
---------------
Hørning By Vejr