Author Topic: Do I really need WeatherLink?  (Read 6848 times)

Offline Reg

Do I really need WeatherLink?
« on: April 14, 2009, 05:29:55 PM »
Hi all,

New member here. Great forum with some very smart folks.

I've given the Oregon Scientific 968 weather stations a try. Using VWS I was happy with the software but not the hardware. I'm going to upgrade to a Davis pro2, serial not USB.

Here's my question:

If I'm running Virtual Weather Station V14 p73 connecting with my own serial cable do I actually need WeatherLink? I was hoping that VWS could read the data directly without it.

Thanks in advance

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Do I really need WeatherLink?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »
no, its not needed for the serial data logger
VWS or other software will work without it
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »
Yes you need the data logger and weatherLink is just the software that comes with the data logger. The serial part of the data logger is just an adaptor the hook to the computer and the wire that runs to the console that hook to the data logger looks like a phone cable.
 Now the weatherlink software does not have to be installed ( if you are using VWS or some other aftermarket software ) but it sure makes making adjustment to the console easier then pushing buttons on the console.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:58:08 PM »
Other than having no HD space left, I can not think of any reason not to install WeatherLink.  I have it running all of the time ( thanks to VirtualVP) and probably look at it every other day.  It will show data in ways that VWS does not.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:25:51 PM »
Since it is what I started out with I have kept it running and archiving data all along even though I have VWS and Cumulus running all the time (thanks to VirtualVP).  I still prefer to use it to make setting changes to the console.  It's always been rock solid and only given me a problem a couple of times at most in 6 years running.  So I look at it as kind of a backup database.  Plus I still prefer to use some of it's graphs and the NOAA reports on my webpage.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 04:16:31 AM »
I do agree that why not run it as well (e.g using virtual vp)
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline Reg

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 04:43:33 AM »
Hmmm. There seems to be varying opinions on whether WeatherLink is actually a requirement.

Here's some background. I have my own scripts that pulls the data from the data2.csv file, puts it into a sql db, and produces custom charts. In fact, I barely use any of the features of Virtual Weather Station other than using it to collect data from the console.

So, I don't want to spend the money on WeatherLink if I don't have to. It's not inexpensive.

How about this. Does the Davis station use some sort of custom (proprietary) cable, or will any rs232 cable work?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:56:58 AM by Reg »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 05:43:19 AM »
you need to purchase the data logger, there is no other way
which comes with the weather link software (which you can throw away if you want to)
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:19:41 AM »
People sometimes get confused because the same name 'Weatherlink' is used to refer to at least three different items, ie:

1. The family of hardware data loggers, of which 6510USB - the USB version of the Weatherlink logger - is the commonest.

2. The Windows Weatherlink software (Mac version also available).

3. The Weatherlink pack which comprises both [1] and [2] in a single retail pack and which is the only way to buy the Weatherlink logger (ie item [1] above). It's sometimes said that the Weatherlink software (ie [2]) is supplied free with the logger and so making the logger available as a separate item would not be any cheaper and hence would be pointless.

You cannot get data out of a Davis VP/VP2 system without the logger hardware [1] but use of the Weatherlink _software_ [2] is optional since there are many alternative programs.

Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Reg

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 07:15:54 AM »
OK. It looks like it's a fairly sure bet that the weatherLink software is not required to establish communication with the console.

That leaves one question. What about the cable?

The Weatherlink package costs $118 USD, before tax. That's a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY for one little cable.

So, my questions for you Davis folks:

- Is it a standard serial/rs232 cable?
- Is it a db9 connector on both sides?
- Does anyone know where to get the pin-out?

Thanks once again. I very much appreciate everyone's help.

PS - Pin-out is tech speak for "diagram showing how a cable is wired"

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 07:38:52 AM »
Here is link of what the parts look like. It a PDF so go to page 10 and 11 is where you will find out what you need. I think that you will find out that it look like nothing you have at this time. I know it sound like you don't want to spend the money  but I think you will find out that it is the only way unless you can build your own data logger..

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-210_GSG_06510_6555.pdf

Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 08:19:48 AM »
It's not just one cable. There is the datalogger too there which you have to plug into the Davis console, and the datalogger is conected with a mini usb contact with cable who you use to conect too the computer.

You can't connect only a single usbcable directly to the consol.

OK. It looks like it's a fairly sure bet that the weatherLink software is not required to establish communication with the console.

The Weatherlink package costs $118 USD, before tax. That's a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY for one little cable.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:22:10 AM by tokke »
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 08:23:29 AM »
Data logger also has memory built into it.  It's a full electronic module, not just a serial interface.  So if your PC is down, the logger will keep an archive of the data.  Archive length will depend on how much sampling you do of the data in the console.

But then once you power back on your PC, the software you choose will download the data.  So you won't miss too much hopefully.

Personally, I didn't run Weatherlink.  I have Virtual VP and still don't.  Just don't see the need.  Even after I just bought Virtual VP.  I might dable with Cirrus, when I get some time.  But I just run VP Live and VWS 14.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 10:35:11 AM »

1: Yes, you must purchase the datalogger to interface your station to your computer
2: No, it is not a standard serial/rs232 cable. It is basically a straight through phone cable.
3: The pin-out is really a moot point, since you need the actual datalogger hardware. A simple cable will not do it.
4: No, you do not need to use the weatherlink software.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 11:09:05 AM »
Sometimes I think that the datalogger connector to the console or Envoy is really just a JTAG port. 

At a minimum, the Weatherlink data logger is a memory expansion module containing SRAM that attaches to the console to store archive data until it can be downloaded through the other connector which can be either a serial port, USB port or ethernet port depending on the datalogger version. So I believe the special connector on the datalogger connects directly to the console's microprocessor bus.

I've thought that there must be at least one other chip within the data logger to translate the serial data input/output stream to the microprocessor bus logic.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 11:26:52 AM »
I really doubt there is much more than, as you say, some RAM  to hold the readings and a small microcontroller (PIC) chip to manage the  connection (UART etc.).  In fact, something like the  PIC16F87x has built-in memory. I've seen similar devices in other apps.  I think if one was willing to probe around the  pins in the back, there is a simple live datastream and power (likely what, 3,4 lines in total??) connection.   I would think it is hackable.  Of course there would be no storage of the readings so you  would lose data if it did not work. Heck, Davis publishes the data stream parms.   But for a hundred bucks I'm not sure it is worth it.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 12:29:13 PM »
What is needed here is for someone to volunteer to shut down there weather station and take the data logger out and take it apart and reverse engineer the thing. Just go to mouser electronics and build your own sounds simple to me. I just look at my old WMII data logger and there are 40 components in it and it has a specialty chip that is made by Nec and has the davis inst corp name printed on it that thing has about 100 solder pins then the numbers on that chip didn't come up with anything in a search so I think that is the main data logger chip. The rest of the components are just usual electronic parts. I would think that the new VP data logger is just about the same stuff but down sized to fit in the smaller case. And as soon as that volunteer steps forward we will all know what is in that thing. Ain't going to be me that thing cost over $100 bucks
Follow me on twitter

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 04:46:26 PM »
What is needed here is for someone to volunteer to shut down there weather station and take the data logger out and take it apart and reverse engineer the thing. Just go to mouser electronics and build your own sounds simple to me. I just look at my old WMII data logger and there are 40 components in it and it has a specialty chip that is made by Nec and has the davis inst corp name printed on it that thing has about 100 solder pins then the numbers on that chip didn't come up with anything in a search so I think that is the main data logger chip. The rest of the components are just usual electronic parts. I would think that the new VP data logger is just about the same stuff but down sized to fit in the smaller case. And as soon as that volunteer steps forward we will all know what is in that thing. Ain't going to be me that thing cost over $100 bucks

Which is totally illegal to do.

If this topic continues in this direction, it will be locked down!

Bob

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 04:55:48 PM »
Actually, it only becomes illegal if one attempts to sell it.  This type of RE would also be legal if one was to  intercept the radio stream from the wireless and make their own receivers BTW.  And you could sell those legally.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 05:38:09 PM »
the original question has actualy neen answered before on this forum (and other similar forums)
a search would show that up I would have thought
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 08:22:18 PM »

Which is totally illegal to do.

If this topic continues in this direction, it will be locked down!

Bob

Sorry Bob should of put in the disclaimer   #-o
Follow me on twitter

anything