Author Topic: WS-2000 WU Rapid Fire Bug  (Read 437 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
WS-2000 WU Rapid Fire Bug
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:42:28 PM »
The WS-2000 is advertised as uploading to Weather Underground every 16 seconds. With the latest firmware (both Revision and WiFi) the WS-2000 only sends data to WU every 30 seconds. As observed by running 1.3.7 and 4.0.9 firmwares.

I've reported this to Ambient. For the time being, because of this I'm still uploading to WU via my WS-2902A that does not have this problem and uploads every 16 seconds.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Ski Pro 3

Re: WS-2000 WU Rapid Fire Bug
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:11:05 AM »
There is a new Wifi firmware made available earlier this evening; 4.0.10

Wanna try it?  I can't find what the new version, or any version for that matter, is supposed to cure, and since there's no way of going back to earlier versions of Wifi firmware, I want someone else to test it before I turn into the lab rat. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 06:18:42 AM »
Nope, not going to try it any time soon. I'm still on 4.0.2 on my WS-2000 and not online yet (I'm still using my WS-2902A for WU, also on 4.0.2). I just observed other WS-2000s on WU and noted thier firmware version to confirm this bug. This bug has been there since 4.0.2 for the WS-2000, but not affecting the WS-2902A. I believe what will fix it for the WS-2000 is not a WiFi update but rather the Revision firmware. I will only jump to newer WiFi firmware after it has been out for at least a few weeks. The fact that we have seen new firmware after another in such a short time doesn't instill much confidence.

Ambient really needs to start publishing release notes for WiFi firmware versions on the WS-2000. They also need to do so for the WS-2902A. Looks like the new WiFi firmware is 4.1.0 not 4.0.10, at least according to what I see on awnet for my WS-2902A.
Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 01:29:02 PM »
I wouldn't limit the recommendation of release notes to WiFi firmware, but include date stamped release notes for all softwares and firmwares. I also would recommend that Ambient consider adopting a beta program for those customers willing to try these updates before posting them widespread. And if they are already doing this, increase the number of beta testers. I'm happy to sign up for beta tests, even though it feels like all of us are already somehow participating.

Ambient really needs to start publishing release notes for WiFi firmware versions on the WS-2000. They also need to do so for the WS-2902A. Looks like the new WiFi firmware is 4.1.0 not 4.0.10, at least according to what I see on awnet for my WS-2902A.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »
I wouldn't limit the recommendation of release notes to WiFi firmware, but include date stamped release notes for all softwares and firmwares.

Well I said that they needed to add release notes to the WiFi firmware (including WS-2902A) because it is the only firmware that does not have release notes. Every other firmware type has release notes.

We have release notes for the WS-2000 Revision firmware:
https://www.ambientweather.com/amwewsfidoce.html

Release notes for ObserverIP:
https://www.ambientweather.com/wswsfiup.html

Release notes for WS-8478 (nobody buys this though):
https://www.ambientweather.com/amwefawsdoce.html

Release notes for WS-100x:
https://www.ambientweather.com/amwewswsdo.html

As for beta testing it seems that they make the beta a public release. The latest version is always tagged beta. There is no extensive testing before release. Which is why I'm hesitant to upgrade too quickly after release. This is another reason that they don't do automatic updates and offer no notification of firmware releases. Not the way I would run things for sure...but perhaps with the limited amount of resources they have that is the best that they can do.

Tele-Pole

anything