Author Topic: Weatherlink software seems like it’s from 1995...alternatives?  (Read 6476 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Weatherlink software seems like it’s from 1995...alternatives?
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2018, 01:05:04 PM »
it isn't the best of both yet.   Unfortunately,  WL2.0  doesn't have the same setup that allows anyone to go  to the online location and see someone's data without registering and all that.   They do have abbreviated information .  meh.

Being able to share data with other invited (via email) users should be available in the next month or so. It seems to be scheduled to happen BEFORE the mass migration to 2.0 happens. It's already available for EM, but for this sharing has to be requested via the EM mobile app. I haven't heard how it will happen for other types of station - hopefully via the web app.

Somehow I activated EM on my version of the online,not the app. that requires another.  I happen to have two IP loggers. Ah.. I jumped the gun and put one on an Envoy and the other console.  so one is version 1 the other 2.  MEH..    This is the time for anyone with  a 2nd/3rd party programming to jump into this.   

I am wondering if eventually Davis will drop the serial and USB loggers

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2018, 01:12:38 PM »
Somehow I activated EM on my version of the online,not the app. that requires another.  I happen to have two IP loggers. Ah.. I jumped the gun and put one on an Envoy and the other console.  so one is version 1 the other 2.  MEH..    This is the time for anyone with  a 2nd/3rd party programming to jump into this.   

Sorry, I can't quite parse that stream of consciousness  :-( . Can you try explaining again please?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2018, 04:29:49 PM »
....I am wondering if eventually Davis will drop the serial and USB loggers ....

That won't happen

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2018, 07:36:02 PM »
....I am wondering if eventually Davis will drop the serial and USB loggers ....

That won't happen

Glad to know that,  I will  put that information right up there with the VP3.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2018, 10:19:03 PM »
This comment, like several others misses the point:  there is no easy connection to .WLK files.  Heck, ODBC was available before WLK was the Davis storage format.

Not wishing to prolong this mostly-off-topic discussion - but I don't understand your point. 

ODBC is a standard application programming interface (API) for accessing database management systems (DBMS).
WLK is a file format.  It's not a database.

Are you suggesting that WeatherLink software should have used a database (rather than files with compressed content), and have provided an ODBC driver? 

As johnd pointed out, databases require a lot of disk space and a lot of physical memory.  With a target market of personal weather enthusiasts (in those days), perhaps using Windows 95 or Windows 98......

I think my decision would have been to go with proprietary compressed storage files.  But of course, that's a tradeoff decision.

My last comment on this - honestly.  Yes, you do not understand ODBC.  Common misunderstanding.  ODBC is not restricted to just SQL databases; you can use CSV, text files, etc.  Info here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity

Back in the day I worked with Borland, MicroRim, etc. on all of this stuff and even with proprietary databases, you could usually have an API to access the data directly.  Proprietary compressed databases are nothing but a headache. I still have some clients who use them now and  what they gain in speed (like you really need that for Davis weather data??) they lose in interoperability.  BTW when I used WLK I had all sorts of neat routines to regular extract until J Ruys came up with the SQL interface.  Sadly, that was an unsupported, one-off.  Nice work though.

Like I said - I'm done.  WLK files are archaic, as is the software.  IMHO of course.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2018, 10:53:46 PM »
My last comment on this - honestly.  Yes, you do not understand ODBC.  Common misunderstanding.  ODBC is not restricted to just SQL databases; you can use CSV, text files, etc.  Info here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity

Back in the day I worked with Borland, MicroRim, etc. on all of this stuff and even with proprietary databases, you could usually have an API to access the data directly.  Proprietary compressed databases are nothing but a headache. I still have some clients who use them now and  what they gain in speed (like you really need that for Davis weather data??) they lose in interoperability.  BTW when I used WLK I had all sorts of neat routines to regular extract until J Ruys came up with the SQL interface.  Sadly, that was an unsupported, one-off.  Nice work though.

Like I said - I'm done.  WLK files are archaic, as is the software.  IMHO of course.

Sorry, I can't resist answering your "you do not understand" comment.....

I understand ODBC.  I never said SQL.  I did say "database management systemS"

And, an ODBC driver could easily be written to access any .WLK file (singular).  Any single .WLK file can be viewed as a database management system. 

I do quite agree with your comment about proprietary systems.  And that .wlk is archaic.  And yes, hanging onto them for too long is a big headache.  [But I never said that compressed files like .WLK were needed for speed in a weather system]

Footnote: not that it matters, but I have an MS in Computer Science, hold a CCP in Systems Programming, and spent most of my career in IT management and QA.  So, like you, I have "been there and done that".

Enough of this nit-picky off-topic stuff.  Alternatives are available for the choosing.

Offline clweb

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2018, 10:28:33 AM »
What is a pity, is thet the mouse wheel is not supported. When editing data you must use the arrow keys to walk through the list.
That is 1995 design.

anything