Author Topic: DIR 505 not connecting to WLAN  (Read 2036 times)

Offline ecobuild

DIR 505 not connecting to WLAN
« on: March 16, 2018, 03:01:17 PM »
My Meteobridge on a DLink DIR-505 license timed out as I struggled with some WLIP problems. Boris kindly gave me a license extension to see if I could fix the problem but now it is not connecting to my WLAN. It does connect wired and all the settings seem OK (WLAN, DHCP) but when I disconnect it from the router and power it up again it gets to the rapidly flashing green light phase and no further. I have tried both Router/AP and Repeater switch positions to no avail. I have also tried pressing the button on the side of the 505 but no joy there either. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Re: DIR 505 not connecting to WLAN
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 08:08:17 AM »
It does connect wired and all the settings seem OK (WLAN, DHCP) but when I disconnect it from the router and power it up again it gets to the rapidly flashing green light phase and no further.

Try rebooting your router as well. Some routers hold onto an IP lease and MAC in a specific connection, wired in your case, and will then not allow that MAC in WLAN mode.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline ecobuild

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »
Many thanks for suggestion. I tried rebooting the router but unfortunately it did not solve the problem so something else must be amiss. Perplexed! Any views on whether router/Ap or Repeater switch settings are appropriate? (I have tried both but think Repeater is more correct in wireless mode)

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »
I don't have the 505, but looking at the manual, page 7, I would say it need to be in Router/AP mode.

I had a look at my 3020 and it is in AP mode.

Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline ecobuild

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 06:23:19 PM »
Great to have that clarified, thanks! I think i can get the 505 to revert to an earlier state by pressing the button on the side for longer than I have done. Not sure if it will help but I am going to give it a try.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 05:32:38 PM »
wiki explains how you can go back to LAN mode, when your wifi settings don't work. Do you have a SSID with special characters or an invisible SSID? Does the SSID appear in the drop-down? What is the signal strength? Are you sure you choose right encryption method and correct password? Any special characters in the WiFi password? DIR-505 supports 2.4 GHz WiFi only.

Setting of the switch (AP, ..) don't matter on any Meteohub platform. The switch is ignored completely.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline ecobuild

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »
I have had no time to look at this in the meantime but have just checked again (trial license about to expire!). When I connect 505 to router by cable everything seems ok. Authentication on router is WPA2-PSK (Meteobridge uses this for encryption- could this be the problem?), encryption on router is WES, the correct SSID is displayed, IP by DHCP and the passphrase is correct (contains letters and the @ character). I then disconnect the cable, unplug the 505 and plug it in again and it does not go beyond the fast flashing green light stage and does not appear on the network using an IP scanner. Signal strength is OK and router operates in 2.4 GHz band.

Offline ecobuild

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 06:28:34 AM »
Meteobridge/505 still working only in wired mode. Settings seem OK:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 12:09:28 PM »
When you selected "bridge mode", then please do not wire the Ethernet port of the DIR-505 to your LAN as well. Doing so will construct a loop that can block your complete LAN.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »
encryption on router is WES

When you mean AES, then we are fine. When you have your WiFi on outdated and insecure WEP, then WPA2-PSK won't work.

BTW: Which signal strength is shown for the SSID you picked from the list?

Offline ecobuild

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »
It shows a signal strength of -25.00 dBm, 2.4GHz. Not sure what this means when it is a wired connection!

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 04:49:25 PM »
That is a rather strong signal and of course it is about how strong the associated WiFi AP comes in, not about the LAN connection  #-o

Can you please give me a remote login? From your telling I get no idea why it does not work for you. Please send credentials to "info(at)meteobridge.com". How to enable remote login is explained in the FAQ of this forum.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 04:51:27 PM by docbee »

Offline ecobuild

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 07:10:20 PM »
It is wired directly to the wireless AP so signal is strong. This is not the way it will work in wireless mode as it will then be located beside the Davis WLIP. This is not distant in a straight line but there is a floor & internal walls in between.

anything