Author Topic: Using VP2 anemometer with Vantage Vue  (Read 1970 times)

Offline WessexWeather

• WessexWeather
Using VP2 anemometer with Vantage Vue
« on: January 20, 2018, 04:03:49 AM »
This has been discussed before in various threads so I wanted to start a specific thread about it here.

I use a Davis Vantage Vue which a great solution for a suburban weather station. However, siting can be an issue as if too low wind measurements are inaccurate, and if too high rainfall measurements are inaccurate, especially in windy conditions.

I know that the Vantage Vue console can be set to receive data from a Davis VP2 Anemometer (6410) connected to a Davis Anemometer Transmitter Kit (6332). This can be mounted high for accurate wind speed, whilst temperature and rainfall is recorded by the Vue ISS at 2m.

However this is an expensive solution, similar in cost to the entire Vantage Vue station, and I would like to know whether if I buy a second Vue ISS and mount that at 2m, my console could be set to receive temperature, rainfall and humidity measurements from the new ISS and wind measurements from my existing roof mounted ISS. This way I would also have spares should anything fail in the future.

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has the VP2 anemometer working successfully alongside their Vue, and whether the 2-Vue system could also work.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Cheers,

Simon (WessexWeather)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Using VP2 anemometer with Vantage Vue
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 04:33:13 AM »
...I would like to know whether if I buy a second Vue ISS and mount that at 2m, my console could be set to receive temperature, rainfall and humidity measurements from the new ISS and wind measurements from my existing roof mounted ISS.

Yes.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WessexWeather

• WessexWeather
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 04:58:42 AM »
Many thanks John, that’s good to know!
Cheers,

Simon (WessexWeather)

Offline WessexWeather

• WessexWeather
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 10:28:20 AM »
John , could you please clarify...

Once I have my new Vantage Vue ISS, I would presumably set it to transmit on channel 2. Then within my console settings I would set STA 1 as WIND (from my Vue on the roof) and, presumably, STA 2 as VUE ISS (from my Vue in the garden)?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Simon (WessexWeather)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »
Once I have my new Vantage Vue ISS, I would presumably set it to transmit on channel 2. Then within my console settings I would set STA 1 as WIND (from my Vue on the roof) and, presumably, STA 2 as VUE ISS (from my Vue in the garden)?

Yes that should work OK.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 08:28:39 PM »
I just picked up the anemometer and 6410 transmitter kit earlier this week. Had time to get it online and mounted up on my roof (the Vue is 6ft above ground). Ah what a wonderful thing to finally get accurate wind readings. Once I got the transmitter on the right channel it went as expected. Highly recommended if you've chosen be accurate on rain and temp readings over wind.

This has been discussed before in various threads so I wanted to start a specific thread about it here.

I use a Davis Vantage Vue which a great solution for a suburban weather station. However, siting can be an issue as if too low wind measurements are inaccurate, and if too high rainfall measurements are inaccurate, especially in windy conditions.

I know that the Vantage Vue console can be set to receive data from a Davis VP2 Anemometer (6410) connected to a Davis Anemometer Transmitter Kit (6332). This can be mounted high for accurate wind speed, whilst temperature and rainfall is recorded by the Vue ISS at 2m.

However this is an expensive solution, similar in cost to the entire Vantage Vue station, and I would like to know whether if I buy a second Vue ISS and mount that at 2m, my console could be set to receive temperature, rainfall and humidity measurements from the new ISS and wind measurements from my existing roof mounted ISS. This way I would also have spares should anything fail in the future.

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has the VP2 anemometer working successfully alongside their Vue, and whether the 2-Vue system could also work.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 09:37:49 PM »
I just picked up the anemometer and 6410 transmitter kit earlier this week. Had time to get it online and mounted up on my roof (the Vue is 6ft above ground). Ah what a wonderful thing to finally get accurate wind readings. Once I got the transmitter on the right channel it went as expected. Highly recommended if you've chosen be accurate on rain and temp readings over wind.

How is this mounted on your roof, so that you get accurate wind readings?  Picture(s)?

Offline WessexWeather

• WessexWeather
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 02:07:13 AM »
I now have two Vantage Vues, one on the roof transmitting on channel ID1, and the other at 2m transmitting on ID2. My console is set as STA 1 WIND and STA 2 VUE ISS. Works perfectly - I now have wind data at 10m and the rest at 2m.
Cheers,

Simon (WessexWeather)

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 12:02:11 PM »
Originally I was going with a J mount like those for satellites, however once I got it up on the roof I realized it would not work on my eaves. Picked up a 5 ft galvanized pipe, closed the top and mounted it to the eave with some fittings. Once the weather clears, I'll snap some photos (really should have taken them yesterday when it was warm...).

How is this mounted on your roof, so that you get accurate wind readings?  Picture(s)?

Offline JohnDoe1983

• Hi !
  • Just love to watch the weather
    • John station
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
What I do not like about the Vvue, is that the vane is obstructed by the mast pole in a certain direction wich make it jiggle a bit.

I would have place the vane on top and the cup below.
John
Quebec
Canada
Ex-weather man

Davis Vantage Vue
Oregon WMR200
Lacrosse

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IQUEBECQ10#history