Author Topic: Vantage Vue  (Read 1010 times)

Offline rob.quick

Vantage Vue
« on: January 07, 2018, 05:11:44 PM »
Hi,

My old laptop that I run my Vue on 24/7 has just died, thankfully I have a back up of the data. However, I've got about 24 hours worth of data sat on the Console. If I reinstalled the software on to my PC and plug the Weather station in will the data on the Console download ok ?

I'm guessing the answer is yes however, I'm sure last time I did something similar I was warned that if not careful (you have to follow the right process) you can loose the data on the Console. Does this ring any bells with anyone ??

Thanks.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Vantage Vue
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 05:15:33 PM »
All the data stored on your data logger will transfer, however much that is. Even at five minute updates it's more than a day, I don't recall how much.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 05:21:31 PM »
Yes your data will still be intact in the logger but note it is time dependent relative to the archive interval you have set hence the shorter the archive period the less time the data will remain intact with the oldest data eventually being over written beyond 100%

The things to watch are it is difficult (but can be done) to merge separate download files with the same name so when you config your new computer copy the old computer data files over so data will be merged ok.

When configuring new computer stay away from any option that wants to reset the data logger interval etc, in most cases simply cancel these requests   

Offline rob.quick

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »
Thanks all.

MattK - I think it was the data logger point you mention that I had forgotten from last time, thanks good reminder.
Can you expand a bit on your statement around merging 'The things to watch are it is difficult (but can be done) to merge separate download files with the same name so when you config your new computer copy the old computer data files over so data will be merged ok'. I'm not really clear what you mean and don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 03:31:25 PM »
Lets say your computer failed today, you would have a file called 2018-01.wlk with data up until the last time things were downloaded but still with data in the logger and depending on the archive interval dictates how far back the logger is holding data.

You setup our new computer and all things being equal you will be able to download all the data held by the logger. So say using a 10 minute archive then you have around 17 days of data the logger can hold, download to new computer and you will get a partial 2017-12.wlk file and a 2018-01.wlk file, using the old 2017-12.wlk file assuming you have backup and the new 2018-01.wlk file then you don't have any gaps.

Say old computer failed 27th of the month then you will have a 2018-01.wlk file up until the last download, lets say up until the 26th? Download logger on new computer and you than have another 2018-01.wlk file with data only for the last 17 days (if @ 10 minute archive), so you have a 10 day data gap as you can only use 1 file, not both unless of course you could merge them, which you can with some third party software.

However if you had copied the old computer file 2018-01.wlk onto the new computer then the first download on ne computer would pick this file up and carry on without having any gaps but as you notice it is dependent and variable on the date v archive interval.   

anything