Author Topic: USB Data Logger  (Read 4345 times)

Offline singingfalls

• Singing Falls Weather
  • It is my time to give back.
    • Singing Falls Stream Restoration Project
USB Data Logger
« on: January 19, 2009, 12:14:22 PM »
Is there anyway to get a data logger without the weatherlink software? I'd like to get a usb interface.

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
Re: USB Data Logger
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »
The only way I know is to by the data logger + weatherLink software and then throw the software away.

Consider getting the serial data logger and if you only have usb ports, a prolific chipset usb to serial adapter. A percentage of people have problems with the USB version of the data logger (intermittent connection lock ups).

Offline singingfalls

• Singing Falls Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »
The only way I know is to by the data logger + weatherLink software and then throw the software away.

Indeed, a spendy little interface isn't it? I was advised to do the above elsewhere and just couldn't believe there were no other options.

Consider getting the serial data logger and if you only have usb ports, a prolific chipset usb to serial adapter. A percentage of people have problems with the USB version of the data logger (intermittent connection lock ups).

Thank you for the "heads up". I do have one serial port but it is being used by an external modem presently. I'll do as you recommend.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 02:05:33 PM »
You could also buy a serial port card and install it in your computer. But as mentioned already. Be advised to the problems assiciated with the USB datalogger. There are tons of posts here on the forum. Proceed to the davis section along with your favorite beverage and start reading.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »

Indeed, a spendy little interface isn't it? I was advised to do the above elsewhere and just couldn't believe there were no other options.

Thank you for the "heads up". I do have one serial port but it is being used by an external modem presently. I'll do as you recommend.

Davis uses a PIC in the logger but the datastream is unencrypted so if you were handy with 900 mhz radio...  :) 

I'd move the modem to USB (or internal) since the USB modems in particular work quite well and are really cheap.  I picked up a Dell USB modem for under $20 US and it works like a charm.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 02:37:52 PM »
Indeed, a spendy little interface isn't it?

I think whenever you shop from something in a niche market (we're all just a bunch of niches :lol:), they got ya!  If this was something as ubiquitous as an add on USB hub or WiFi router, it would probably sell for less than 50 USD.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:36:20 PM »
Is there anyway to get a data logger without the weatherlink software? I'd like to get a usb interface.

If you do a search on the forum, you'd find this question asked and answered 100's of times.

No, you can not.

Bob

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 05:09:15 PM »
If some person was to sell a Davis to WiFi/Bluetooth logger dongle, they'd make a bundle.  Imagine - my VP2 Wireless would be truly wireless!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline singingfalls

• Singing Falls Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 05:47:20 PM »
Davis uses a PIC in the logger but the datastream is unencrypted so if you were handy with 900 mhz radio...  :) 

I'd move the modem to USB (or internal) since the USB modems in particular work quite well and are really cheap.  I picked up a Dell USB modem for under $20 US and it works like a charm.

Most internal modems and usb modems these days are "winmodems". They're a real hassle for us linux geeks. USRobotics external/internal that works best on my system is what is taking up the serial port. I think asus makes a serial2usb adapter that attaches to the motherboard. I'll check out the specs on that.

Quote from: Bob
If you do a search on the forum, you'd find this question asked and answered 100's of times.

I find it a curiosity (to a degree-no pun) that the interface is uniquely proprietary but that is doen't need the software as a "firmware" interface. Seems it should be an easy fix??? hence my further questioning.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 07:03:23 PM »
I find it a curiosity (to a degree-no pun) that the interface is uniquely proprietary but that is doen't need the software as a "firmware" interface. Seems it should be an easy fix??? hence my further questioning.

I guess the company feels that they are selling a piece of hardware that interfaces with their equipment, so they include the software so it will work "out of the box" without the need for anything else. I'd rather have software included that isn't used, then get nothing and have a new piece of hardware that is basically non functional out of the box.

I'd bet dollars to donuts they'd get more complaints about that.  ;)

On a side note, nice to see a USR fan/user. Still have many of my old "surfboard" USR's sitting around here. Solid as a rock!

Bob

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 07:38:12 PM »
I do have one serial port but it is being used by an external modem presently. I'll do as you recommend.

If you're running low on expansion slots and you're using one of them now for peripherals, you can sometimes buy combo cards that have serial connections combined with various other types of connections on the same card, or you can get cards that have two serial connections.

You can often get good deals on used cards at a computer exchange/repair store, or online at places like eBay.com or newegg.com.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 07:44:53 PM »
In the early years of Davis when you bought the data logger and software you were glad you got both as there was no other software on the market and it was the only data logger that could hook up to a computer with the software to display the content stored there. I still use the software to make adjustment to my VP2 I glad it still comes with the data logger.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline singingfalls

• Singing Falls Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 08:42:59 PM »
My thought was that the price tag was associated with the software and that the adapter was pretty simplistic, basically a pin configuration.

I can see an avdantage to having the software if you run windows for sure...but I haven't for 15 years.

I do know that asus has adapters available for serial so I will get a couple ( I do have some slots open).

Yep, I've been using USR modems for waaaay too long. We're working on getting some grant funding through our community based 501c3 to get wifi ISP and weather emergency radio out here in the boonies. No more 21600 baud! yay!!

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 10:31:11 PM »
My thought was that the price tag was associated with the software and that the adapter was pretty simplistic, basically a pin configuration.

Not really. If you spend $149 for a data logger and software, if they took the software out, I'm sure you'd pay $149.
So, the software is free.

I can see an avdantage to having the software if you run windows for sure...but I haven't for 15 years.

Then simply toss it out when it arrives. Nothing lost, nothing gained.  ;)

Yep, I've been using USR modems for waaaay too long. We're working on getting some grant funding through our community based 501c3 to get wifi ISP and weather emergency radio out here in the boonies. No more 21600 baud! yay!!

Good luck with the grant. High speed internet is a must have in this day and age. I feel like cutting my throat when I have to use dial-up.

Bob

Offline singingfalls

• Singing Falls Weather
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 11:29:33 PM »
Good luck with the grant. High speed internet is a must have in this day and age. I feel like cutting my throat when I have to use dial-up.
Bob

It makes for a fair amount of frustration when the baud rate goes even lower on some occasions. Especially when I know there are two T1s 8 miles from here! And satellite is pathetically poor in these steep mountain areas also. Fairly  unreliable. WiFi would work really well because the local very visible high ridge is a straight shot to Canyon Mountain, a main radio, cell and wifi relay point. Not to mention you can see the roof of my house from the top of that local ridge ;)