Author Topic: North Wind Reading  (Read 2019 times)

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
North Wind Reading
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:04:09 PM »
Well....whether this was a good descision or not....I got fed up with the issues that I've been having with my cabled VP1 with the temperature fluctuations and what not....and purchased a cabled VP2.....

Question I have is...it is a minor problem I guess.....right now winds are coming out of the west/southwest...pretty briskly.....and I noticed that the wind reading would jump to due north (360 deg) then go back to west/southwesterly direction then back to north every few seconds....  I left the anemometer up there from the VP1...actually it was replaced about a year ago...reed switch went on it....and also...cable is extended another 40 feet or so....

Made sure it wasn't a grounding issue...unplugged cable from CPU and power from console.....

Any solutions??

Thanks....

Chris
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
Wx Underground - KNYCOLON3
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline drizzle

• LattonWeather
Re: North Wind Reading
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:39:32 AM »
I had the same problem a few months ago. Have a look at http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=1952.0 no problems since I modified the cable.

Dave

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 05:18:45 PM »
So you think I have a grounding issue?? 

I have no idea as to what you did with your cable...and no idea how to do that with mine...haha

I unplugged it from my pc  (have the serial connector) and unplugged console and still occurred....
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:36:13 PM »
With a w to WNW wind driection.....my station is now is just stuck on north....either 5 deg or 360 deg....great.....I've had such great lcuk with Davis and now nothing works after thinking spending $330 on a new station would fix things...nah....

I have my baseball bat ready.....
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
You know I was just reading the second post in the link you gave me

"So, intermittent North indications say to me that you have a intermittent break in the cable or something for that conductor. Look for a nick in the cable jacket, or a place where the cable is blown about by the wind, and flexing could have broken a wire."

....I believe I am using that black cable coupler (which is located under an overhang in a dry location) to connect the anemometer cable to the extension cable....do you think that might be it....should I splice the two and use the splice connectors???

It's insanely cold outside so if I do attempt it I hope it works...

-Chris
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:09:46 PM »
Davis does recommend to splice the cable wires togeter and not use the coupler for any outside use as the moisture can wreak things in a hurry.

Tim

Offline drizzle

• LattonWeather
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 07:21:08 PM »
Well, if you still get the issue with the pc disconnected from the console it does seem like it may be a broken or shorted cable to the anemometer or the ISS. Sorry I can't come up with any other ideas.

Dave