Author Topic: Mounting Vantage Pro 2  (Read 6807 times)

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
Re: Mounting Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 10:39:15 PM »
Rather than start a new post, I'll continue this novel... ](*,)

I had 1 of 2 choices in where to place my station. I chose one that I figured would have less obstructions. What is the best way to detect any anomalies or inaccuracies of my station? The nearest airport is about 7 miles away and in open space unlike my residential location. Comparing my wind readings to the airport's, they are getting steady 10-15mph winds and I'm averaging about 1-2 mph over a 10 min span (as noted on the console). I have had gusts up to 14 mph but just curious if I've located it in a bad spot. I posted pic's below.

Location 1 and the current location. I figured the space between the houses would open up more opportunity to capture better readings. Thought air would flow better between the two houses. East is blocked by the house apparently. Station is about 15-17' from the neighbors house and about 8-10' from my house.

Highest part of railing. Would sit 10-15' above ground and approx. 17-20' away from house.

I may have to wait for a better wind event but are there any opinions on which location you would think is better?

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 10:45:13 PM »
Any way you could fasten / clamp a mast or pole to that corner post on the deck?

Get something maybe 15 to 20 foot long, put the ISS a little above railing height and put the anemometer at the top.
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2008, 10:48:37 PM »
Just out of view on both pictures I have a 15' mast that hosts a few radio antenna's. The problem with that railing is that it is not fastened to the structure. I'm afraid with a wind load, it would pull the railing down. I don't own the house so I don't want to throw masts up all over. I considered the antenna mast but at its highest point, it still doesnt clear the roof line. I may have to bite the bullet here.

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 10:50:09 PM »
My 2 cents would be neither looks good. To many obstructions every where you look. You readings also indicate the same. You need to decide whether to have accurate readings and get the anemometer up into clear air, or to have inaccurate readings and mount it to the deck rail. I know you do not want to do a lot of work putting up a mast, but with the time you have all ready spent plus the time you are going to spend moving it around, you would be better off putting a mast on your chimmney. From the picure, I would say that the top of the chimmney is about 20'. 10'-13' above that would be your best bet. You may just have to bite the bullet depending on how accurate you want your readings to be.

Edit: Pic of mine mounted on the peak of my shop @ 33'.

For the mast, you can't beat chain link fence top rails. They are about 1 3/8" dia by 10' long and have slip joints. Around $10 a piece. The guy wires I use is actually galvenized electric fence wire.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 11:01:26 PM by prvrt »
Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 11:36:38 PM »
It's not so much of not wanting to do the work as much as not technically able to. Make sense? It's not my house unfortunately and I was given permission to put the mast up. I was thinking of throwing another mast up on the chimney for more antenna's but if I put antenna's on the same mast as an antenna, Im sure it would create sway and skew the readings. I'll have to explore some other options I guess or stick with what I have. It's a catch-22 by the looks of it. Thanks!

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 04:12:07 PM »
Well I decided to move to the second location to see how things would change. So far, things seem to be a little more accurate and the wind readings are higher. My question becomes, can you truly verify the accuracy of your data? They say to use your local airport but the local airport is at least 5 miles from my house where quite a few things can influence the readings. I've tried checking some other local stations and everyone is all over the place. I'm sure there are different obstructions present at each location but how do you verify the accuracy of your own data?

prvrt, I understand your concern and you make great points. I would likely use a 10' mast from Radio Shack and put it on the chimney if I decide to. I am still kicking around that option as it is probably best for the most accurate info but with snow on the deck, it may be a death wish to go up there now. I have considered doing it anyway but I will have to verify the stability of the chimney. Hopefully I will be able to set it up on the chimney.

anything