Author Topic: Setting up a Davis 6152 Vantage Pro 2 with MPB  (Read 12593 times)

Offline CaptMike

• Weather Station ID: KAKWASIL87
Setting up a Davis 6152 Vantage Pro 2 with MPB
« on: August 23, 2014, 07:22:54 AM »
I am going to try this again this year, earlier than last year.  Due to a combination of winter intervening, and being totally flabbergasted and overwhelmed with the information, I said the hell with it.

I want to try one more time.  Here is what I have: A sturdy wood shed to mount the WX station, a router plugged into my wall that is provided by my Internet service.  Connected to the router via cable, an Airport Extreme, which provides my wireless Internet signal, and my MBP.  No desktop computer.  I am out of the country usually at least half of the month.

With the above set-up, and not getting a dedicated desktop that I would have to leave running while I am gone half the time, can I set up a Vantage Pro 2 wirelessly, to where I can download (or upload) the data to WU, or whoever, and be able to access it while on the road?  Again, without having a dedicated desktop computer.  I wouldn't mind getting a dedicated cheap one, but to leave it running while I am gone for long periods, seems senseless to me.  If you haven't already surmised, I am not the most computer literate person.

If this set up is possible, would someone please just state the components and software needed, from woodshed and WX station, to router, to AP Extreme, to MBP.  Or whatever in-between , so that I could have a functioning WX station, and be able to access it online, and let other people see it.  If I remember correctly, I believe there is more than one way to do this.  If there is a "best" way, I would do it.  Keeping it simple wouldn't hurt, either.  Thank you for your time and patience.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Re: Setting up a Davis 6152 Vantage Pro 2 with MPB
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »
I am going to try this again this year, earlier than last year.  Due to a combination of winter intervening, and being totally flabbergasted and overwhelmed with the information, I said the hell with it.

I want to try one more time.  Here is what I have: A sturdy wood shed to mount the WX station, a router plugged into my wall that is provided by my Internet service.  Connected to the router via cable, an Airport Extreme, which provides my wireless Internet signal, and my MBP.  No desktop computer.  I am out of the country usually at least half of the month.

With the above set-up, and not getting a dedicated desktop that I would have to leave running while I am gone half the time, can I set up a Vantage Pro 2 wirelessly, to where I can download (or upload) the data to WU, or whoever, and be able to access it while on the road?  Again, without having a dedicated desktop computer.  I wouldn't mind getting a dedicated cheap one, but to leave it running while I am gone for long periods, seems senseless to me.  If you haven't already surmised, I am not the most computer literate person.

If this set up is possible, would someone please just state the components and software needed, from woodshed and WX station, to router, to AP Extreme, to MBP.  Or whatever in-between , so that I could have a functioning WX station, and be able to access it online, and let other people see it.  If I remember correctly, I believe there is more than one way to do this.  If there is a "best" way, I would do it.  Keeping it simple wouldn't hurt, either.  Thank you for your time and patience.
Before I can give an answer, what is an MBP? I could not find the meaning on Wikipedia for it.

Normally you would have
Davis VP2 outside => console inside + logger in console => "weather-computer device" => Wireless or cabled network => router => internet => WU.

You could than look at your data from all over the world.

Solution 1: QaD:
If you have no logger yet, buy an Davis WLIP (= ip logger), plug it in the console and use WeatherLink.com. They will also upload your data to WU. You do not need a "weather-computer device" as long as you can plug the WLIP ethernet end into your router or into your Airport Extreme.

Solution 2: Professional:
If you already have a logger:
Buy a Meteobridge / Weatherbridge at http://www.ambientweather.com/weatherbridge.html as your "weather-computer device".
The usb cable from the logger inside your console goes into the Meteobridge. The Meteobridge uses your Wireless network or your Lan to upload your data to WU (and others). It can also do a lot of interesting things in your case. Example if the inside temp goes below freezing ( or any temp you set )=> an email is sent to you or your house-caretaker.

In your case I would go for the  Weatherbridge/Meteobridge, especially for the e-mail facilities. Even if I already should own an IP logger.

Succes, Wim

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:21:01 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 09:44:39 AM »
I believe MBP is referring to an Apple MacBook Pro.
Bill

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »
I too have no idea what an MPB is.     But I also recommend that you go the metobridge route.   You can do it cheaper than the ambient model if you want to.  Read     http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=19530.0

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »
I too have no idea what an MPB is.     But I also recommend that you go the metobridge route.   You can do it cheaper than the ambient model if you want to.  Read     http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=19530.0
I believe MBP is referring to an Apple MacBook Pro.

I checked if it was discussed earlier.  And it is, by the same person at
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=20289.msg195088#msg195088

So the MBP is his Mac Book Pro.

But for this setup it is irrelevant as one does not need a desktop computer / laptop to send the data to WU and others.

If you want to look at the data from home and from outdoors you need a laptop or a chromebook or an iPad. Any device with a browser will work.

But is all discussed in detail last year, so just a question @CaptMike why start over again?
Please tell us what you do not understand or what bothers you and we will answer any questions.

Wim

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »
If your end goal is seeing the station online at WU you will need a computer running software or stand alone metobridge running. The weather station doesn't upload directly.
Because you're having issues understanding the setup I'll give an example below.

Example davis and home computer setup:
Wx station sends data to console by cable or (optional wireless), console sends data via data logger ( not included purchased separately but required) to software called Weatherlink, this includes all 3rd party software compatible with davis stations. The software will need to be loaded on computer.

With the software running and weather underground selected for uploading data your computer sends data to WU via your home internet connection. (You will need a separate free WU account for this)

Not knowing your home setup I'm guessing the Airport Extreme is the router and what you're calling the router is most likely the ISP internet device like cable modem unless you have 2 routers setup and one acting like a switch or bridged. If your computer is using the WIFI function the Air extreme router will connect computer to your internet service.
The other option if the computer doesn't have a WIFI adapter is connect the computer directly with a cat5 cable to the Airport Extreme. Regardless just make sure the computer is connecting to the internet prior.

Its really not that complicated but you will need to have something running all the time. I'm using a cheap laptop at one of my stations. Haven't had any issues for couple years running 24-7. Some built their own low powered pc's, but a laptop does the same thing and they are really cheap nowadays at stores like Walmart.
Randy

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 02:52:57 PM »
Laptops will not power up after a power failure shutdown.  SO you need a UPS big enough to last any outage.  The Meteobridge solution is ideal and less money than a laptop and frankly, more reliable.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 03:54:20 PM »
Laptops will not power up after a power failure shutdown.  SO you need a UPS big enough to last any outage.  The Meteobridge solution is ideal and less money than a laptop and frankly, more reliable.

I have the Ambient version of Meteobridge and I've never tried it out.
Cumulus has some features I fell in love with, so went with the laptop option, plus I needed the ability to remotely connect with the weather station so the pc was necessary.
I do have the cyberpower 1500va which is good for a couple hours @ 50 watts then the laptop batteries are good for a while longer. Any outage over 4 hours everything would be dead however.
Randy

Offline CaptMike

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 06:18:57 PM »
Thank you all for the responses, and information.  I apologize, the MBP is my MacBook Pro.  Last year I really tried to nail this down, and when I thought I had it, I would read something that would take my understanding back to ground zero.  Plus, as I thought I just saw on one of these components, or programs, that they won't do everything with a Mac, that they will do with a PC?  In this day and age? 

I have no problem getting the set-up that will work best.  Or for that matter, getting a dedicated laptop, or PC, to make it work.  That just seems to be a waste of power, if it can be successfully circumvented.

I have no components at this time.  I am willing to get whatever set-up works best.  And, again my mistake, from the wall there is a cable to the providers Router (or modem).  That unit is cabled to the Airport Extreme (modem?), which sends out the WiFi signal.

Questions: 
The Davis VP2 sends wireless data to the console, I get that.  What exactly does the data logger do?  How is it connected to the VP2?

Is the Davis WLIP (Ip logger?) meant to be used in lieu of the data logger?  What is it connected to, and how?  Is this a better option than the regular data logger (forgetting price)?

What is a "Weather device"?  It is the Meteobridge?  Is that what one uses in lieu of the dedicated PC, or laptop?  Do you need that if you are using a dedicated PC or laptop?  Does it, and if yes, how, does it connect to the Davis WLIP?  And then to the next component (the modem)?  What exactly does it do?

On the Weatherbridge site, the have a diagram as follows:  Sensor Suite/Display Console/WeatherLink USB 6520 (for Mac?)(Is that the data logger?)/Weather Bridge/Router/Internet.  Is it really that simple?  I believe I read something on one of these components that they won't perform certain features on a Mac, that they will on a PC.  Anyone familiar with this?

The Meteobridge conveys the weather information to the router, via the Weatherlink, and the router sends it to the Internet?  Now, if you want to see the weather while at home, you can 1) Look at the console, or 2) get on the Internet via your laptop, iPad, etc, and you can see the weather?

So you need to purchase four items - the VP2 (which includes the console), the data logger (WeatherLink)(I'll have to figure which one will work best), Weatherbridge (Meteobridge), connect that to your router, and you are in business?  Then I believe you need a software program to process, and disseminate the information.  What components does the software interact with? 

The reason I am starting over again, is because I got frustrated last year, and finally said screw it.  I just want to finally hear a tech person, or someone, say "this is what you need - BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM".  "Hook it up, and shut up".  I never got to that point, as some other issue would arise, and finally my fun meter pegged out.  I am on the road now, and if I could sort it out, would like to all at once order everything, and hook it up when I get back.  Again, thank you all for your time, and information.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 08:33:39 PM »
Thank you all for the responses, and information.  I apologize, the MBP is my MacBook Pro.  Last year I really tried to nail this down, and when I thought I had it, I would read something that would take my understanding back to ground zero.  Plus, as I thought I just saw on one of these components, or programs, that they won't do everything with a Mac, that they will do with a PC?  In this day and age? 
Then why buy a Mac?

I have no problem getting the set-up that will work best.  Or for that matter, getting a dedicated laptop, or PC, to make it work.  That just seems to be a waste of power, if it can be successfully circumvented.

I have no components at this time.  I am willing to get whatever set-up works best.  And, again my mistake, from the wall there is a cable to the providers Router (or modem).  That unit is cabled to the Airport Extreme (modem?), which sends out the WiFi signal.  Routers and modems are not the same but it could be both

Questions: 
The Davis VP2 sends wireless data to the console, I get that.  What exactly does the data logger do?  How is it connected to the VP2? Is the Davis WLIP (Ip logger?) meant to be used in lieu of the data logger?  What is it connected to, and how?  Is this a better option than the regular data logger (forgetting price)?I sent you a diagram of that in your last endeavor.   The logger records the data from the console stores it and then sends it to a computer.
The ip logger is still a logger they  are all the same it just sends data to your router instead of your computer ( by passes the computer)

What is a "Weather device"?  It is the Meteobridge?  Is that what one uses in lieu of the dedicated PC, or laptop?  Do you need that if you are using a dedicated PC or laptop?  Does it, and if yes, how, does it connect to the Davis WLIP?  And then to the next component (the modem)?  What exactly does it do?Too hard to answer. The metobridge acts as a miniature computer and does it all via wire or wifi depending how you set it up

On the Weatherbridge site, the have a diagram as follows:  Sensor Suite/Display Console/WeatherLink USB 6520 (for Mac?)(Is that the data logger?)/Weather Bridge/Router/Internet.  Is it really that simple?  I believe I read something on one of these components that they won't perform certain features on a Mac, that they will on a PC.  Anyone familiar with this?  To be blunt the Mac software sucks.  But it does not seem to matter if you do not want to run your Mac 24/7

The Meteobridge conveys the weather information to the router, via the Weatherlink, and the router sends it to the Internet?  Now, if you want to see the weather while at home, you can 1) Look at the console, or 2) get on the Internet via your laptop, iPad, etc, and you can see the weather?Metobridge does not need Weather Link software or any computer running Mac or PC it is stand alone  ( I think you are confusing Weather link software with the logger which comes with weather link or vic a versa.   If you send the data to any web site AK weather under ground you can see it from any where via the internet.

So you need to purchase four items - the VP2 (which includes the console), the data logger (WeatherLink)(I'll have to figure which one will work best), Weatherbridge (Meteobridge), connect that to your router, and you are in business?  Then I believe you need a software program to process, and disseminate the information.  What components does the software interact with?  You ae correct until you get to I belive    everything after that is not needed. The meto bridge will disseminate the data anywhere you want.

The reason I am starting over again, is because I got frustrated last year, and finally said screw it.  I just want to finally hear a tech person, or someone, say "this is what you need - BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM".  "Hook it up, and shut up".  I never got to that point, as some other issue would arise, and finally my fun meter pegged out.  I am on the road now, and if I could sort it out, would like to all at once order everything, and hook it up when I get back.  Again, thank you all for your time, and information.

OK  let me first say you must be a double type A person  God I hated you guys when I worked.   Next you are way over thinking and making it just too hard.

This what you need.   VP2,   USB data logger, metobridge.     Those three things will do everything that you want to do does not matter Mac or PC.   

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 10:06:20 PM »
That last line sums it up perfectly. :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CaptMike

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 01:53:12 AM »
You guys are great.  Thank you :grin:

Offline CaptMike

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 02:56:25 PM »
Beaudog,

When you say "USB data logger", are you talking about this - (http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/WL_for_Mac.htm), versus the Davis WeatherLink IP?  From what I read about the WLIP, it requires Windoz to work.  And if one had a PC, with this WLIP, you wouldn't need the MeteoBridge?  But that may be getting in the weeds. 

In summary:  VP2, WeatherLink for Mac OS 10 (the USB data logger, which consists of data logger and software), and MeteoBridge.  End of story?  I appreciate it.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 03:02:34 PM »
Beaudog,

When you say "USB data logger", are you talking about this - (http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/WL_for_Mac.htm), versus the Davis WeatherLink IP?  From what I read about the WLIP, it requires Windoz to work.  And if one had a PC, with this WLIP, you wouldn't need the MeteoBridge?  But that may be getting in the weeds. 

In summary:  VP2, WeatherLink for Mac OS 10 (the USB data logger, which consists of data logger and software), and MeteoBridge.  End of story?  I appreciate it.
You do not need the software, maybe once for setup if you want to change the logging interval.
You only need the VP2 package with a console - USB  logger to keep it simple which goes in the console - and a Meteobridge to connect to the cable end of the USB logger.

Just think about the Meteobridge as a dedicated computer just for the weather processing. No screen, no keybord as all is done using a browser.

Succes, Wim

Offline CaptMike

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 07:26:49 PM »
OK, the VP2, Weatherbridge, USB-Hub #F5U407, USB-Stick, and 6520 USB Data Logger are being shipped.  They will be there when I get back.  I may have some more questions then.  Thank you all again.

Offline CaptMike

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 02:56:04 PM »
It's up and running.  Thank you all for your help.  Looking now to add on a wireless web cam that will work work with this Mac set up.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.  I looked briefly at the Ambient Wx options.  I didn't see any that were battery powered.  It seemed you had to at least have a power cord coming from the camera.  I will look more closely at that.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KAKWASIL53

Offline Gatorlsu

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
CaptMike, you went through the exact process I am about to embark upon. My home computing environment is all Mac based and I have the wireless Mac wifi routers. I recently purchased the VP2+ and will be setting up. I also ordered the weatherlink6510USB port instead of the one for Mac as I understood the windows software was better and less buggy. I also ordered the ambient weatherbridge to use to broadcast and upload my VP2 data to the internet to use on WU and other websites. So, in order the set up the weatherlink6510 and weatherbridge, I was assuming I would at least need access to a windows based pc to run the setup software for the weatherlinkUSB data logger and the weathrbridge device to set the initial settings, interval times, etc. Correct? I read that the weatherlinkUSB data logger only runs on windows based operating systems and not OSX. So, how did you set yours up? Did you purchase or borrow a PC with windows to run the initial software? Thanks for the help in advance.
Station: Davis VP2+
WU KTXHUMBL11
PWS RLOKTX7721

Offline CaptMike

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 03:14:23 PM »
Hello Gatorlsu,

You have no need for software, for what you want to do.  The Meteobridge comes with software, but you don't need it.  Simply connect the data logger to your VP2 console, then connect that to the Meteobridge, and follow the instructions that comes with the Meteobridge.  I am on the road presently, and am not looking at my setup, but I believe you may have to hard wire the Meteobridge the first time to your router.  I may be mistaken, but the manual should explain that.  It is so simple, that even I could do it.  I just got into hotel, and my mind is a bit fried.  I will reread this after some sleep.  Meteobridge has a tech number, and they were helpful.  But one thing I do know, you don't need to do anything with the included software..  The setup steps for the Meteobridge will have you on WeatherUnderground in no time, if that is what you want.

I just reread your post, and I think the 6510 is separate from the data logger.  So it might be data logger plugged into the VP2, hooked to the 6510, to the Meteobridge.  Again, no software needed.  Good luck.

Mike

Offline Gatorlsu

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 05:58:02 PM »
Thanks CaptMike. If you do not mind, I may ping you when my setup gets here with a followup questions. Appreciate the help.
Station: Davis VP2+
WU KTXHUMBL11
PWS RLOKTX7721