Author Topic: Barometer settings and calibration  (Read 3219 times)

Offline EKB

• If a million people belive a stupid thing.......
    • ReynoldsWX
Barometer settings and calibration
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:03:01 AM »
I have recently upgraded my VP to a VP II and, at the same time, I upgraded from VWS 12 to VWS 14.   Obviously several things have changed and now, MADIS reports I have a statistical consistency error suggesting I have an incorrect altitude setting.   My location, altitude, etc have not changed.  The Dewpoint and temperature graphs have held consistant through the change.  I do not see a significant difference between my readings and readings from surrounding sites.

I'm not sure where to start looking.

Any suggestions?

EKB
KGAREY01, CW2647, Davis VPII Plus, Boltek Storm Tracker, Astrogenic Nextstorm, StrikeStar Network,
Assorted Weather Cameras, 1 wife, 3 kids, no dogs, lots of Cats....

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
Re: Barometer settings and calibration
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:40:29 AM »
I have recently upgraded my VP to a VP II and, at the same time, I upgraded from VWS 12 to VWS 14.   Obviously several things have changed and now, MADIS reports I have a statistical consistency error suggesting I have an incorrect altitude setting.   My location, altitude, etc have not changed.  The Dewpoint and temperature graphs have held consistant through the change.  I do not see a significant difference between my readings and readings from surrounding sites.

I'm not sure where to start looking.

Any suggestions?

EKB

Good Morning EKB,

Rather a sour subject on my part, but you can start by looking hear.  There are other programs that help some, however I gave up on what CWOP has to say about my barometer readings.  I know they are correct as published to the public.  If they are right at your station don't worry about the CWOP evaluation. Hope whats noted below helps.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=1995.0

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
Re: Barometer settings and calibration
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:36:01 PM »
It looks like your barometer has been reading about 1.5 millibars too low for some time. That may be part of the problem. The spotty data submissions may have also contributed to the bad QC. After you calibrate your barometer to be more in line, you will still get bad QC reports for a while until the bad data scrolls out of the window of data that's analyzed.

Steve
SoftWx