Author Topic: What to buy next ?  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
What to buy next ?
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:13:36 PM »
I have some extra cash at the end of the month. I am wondering what to buy next. My station is the VPro 2 wireless vanilla with an Envoy with a serial connection into my Dell SFF. VWS shows the weather on the computer display. I am wondering what you all think I should add on. A FARS ? A Console ? A Solar Sensor and shelf ? UV Sensor ? Can't have it all, just can only pick one from column A. What ya all think ?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: What to buy next ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »
I have some extra cash at the end of the month. I am wondering what to buy next. My station is the VPro 2 wireless vanilla with an Envoy with a serial connection into my Dell SFF. VWS shows the weather on the computer display. I am wondering what you all think I should add on. A FARS ? A Console ? A Solar Sensor and shelf ? UV Sensor ? Can't have it all, just can only pick one from column A. What ya all think ?

A FARS ? Not a lot of fun return, not a lot of value unless you live in a desert-like area

A Console ? Do you need another one in the house?

A Solar Sensor ? MY VOTE (You shoulda made this a poll.) With Solar, your console can calc ET, which is useful for landscape irrigation timing, especially combined with a script to calculate the local Watering Index.

UV Sensor ?  Get this AFTER you get the Solar.

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:45:37 PM »
I'd go for the solar too. From it you can determine sun/cloudiness, ET, solar power calcs. Very useful. UV just gets you UV reading.

The UV is expensive. You can get a whole Honeywell weather station (which includes UV) for the price of the Davis UV sensor.

Honeywell station $205 
http://www.etailelectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=15643&Category_Code=dh2x&Store_Code=etail

Davis UV sensor $240 discounted price

Offline mstan

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:11:28 AM »
I just got the solar sensor, and love it, but you also have to get the shelf.

The UV is not worth it to me, I live in Ohio.

Next I am going for a another console since the one I have is connect to my weather server in the basement.

Mark

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 11:19:57 AM »
I am so glad there are guys like you all out there to help me spend my money. LOL ! :lol: I don't have a console. I bought just the ISS and an Envoy. All the weather stats are on the computer screen. I did save money in the beginning over the base ISS\console vanilla package. I wanted to get in but accept the fact that I will nickel and dime my way in about a year to a full blown package. Here at the university we have 2 consoles and an envoy. Nice. I can almost live without the console but wasn't sure if the solar would add value to the station in more data. Wasn't sure what the FARS would do for me here in Illinois. I am in the process of building the website and will even have an online weather quiz game. Anyone wants to try the game out I can supply the link. So what else should I buy ?

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »
I just got the solar sensor, and love it, but you also have to get the shelf.

The UV is not worth it to me, I live in Ohio.

Next I am going for a another console since the one I have is connect to my weather server in the basement.

Mark

Why not an Envoy. Here at the university the Envoy supplies the data to the weather server and the two consoles are in the main lobbies with the DTN satellite feeds of radar for all visitors

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
...The UV is not worth it to me, I live in Ohio...
Mark

:lol: I get it... grew up in NE Ohio... now if you had a "gray sky sensor", it would work overtime, especially in winter... :)
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 02:36:43 PM »
...The UV is not worth it to me, I live in Ohio...
Mark

:lol: I get it... grew up in NE Ohio... now if you had a "gray sky sensor", it would work overtime, especially in winter... :)

I dont want to think about the gray overcast skys of February (usually the month they happen)....so damn depressing. Not ready to give of summer yet. I probably should go Boltek because central Illinois is kinda in T-boomer alley. We have had 2 days of heavy fog.....time for some hot Dog Days to get here.

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 07:30:39 PM »

A wireless independent ISS for your anemometer might be a thought.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>> :-)
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »
Hmmm.....Nice Bill that is a thought. The anemometer xmitter I hadn't thought about. Keeps the rainbucket and ISS at a serviceable level. Hmmmm....good idea. Right now the the whole ISS is pole mounted on the garage. With the separate xmitter for the anemometer I can extend the pole up higher but with out increasing sway due to the mass of the ISS at the top of the pole. Cool.

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 02:10:38 PM »
Solar sensor is on the way. Website is up and running (roughly). Shopping for a PTZ webcam now. Things are starting to roll.

anything