Author Topic: DSI-01 Serial Interface for Davis VP, VP2, Vue and Envoy availability  (Read 96563 times)

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
Re: DSI-01 Serial Interface for Davis VP, VP2, Vue and Envoy availability
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »
My VP2 console just came back from Davis today, and the firmware has been updated to 3.12. My Cumulus software is not getting data from the unit. Can I assume that the DS1-01 will not work with this firmware update...?

My understanding of the entire thread is if any Davis unit is v3.(whatever) the DS1-01 will no longer work.  Thus I shall remain at v1.90.

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Am I correct that both the DS1-01 *and* Virtual VP stopped working when v3.12 came on the scene?  :-s

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
Virtual VP still works on v3.12, sort of.
WeatherLink, Cumulus, and VP Live all still connected normally through VVP, Virtual Weather Station and WUHU would not, for me, anyway.
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Thanks, Jack!  That gets me into the game with WeatherLink and Cumulus as those are two I wanted to start with!

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2014, 12:01:35 AM »
For anyone that may still be interested in a real RS232 (PC levels) logger, I put together a solution using a MAX3221E, I also had a need for USB so I made a board that can do both.

I program the AT45DB011 memory in circuit, so it works with the "Green Dot" consoles.
Also flow control is configured so it should work with weatherlink software if you have a licence, e.g. could replace failed hardware.
Works great with Cumulus, and should work with any software that supports Davis Pro/Vue consoles.

Photos show prototypes built as RS232 on the Left and USB on the right.

Thought I might offer them for anyone that needs a RS232 solution or USB, or potentially both on the one board.

USB Version uses genuine FTDI USB chip, includes 2m USB Cable $50 USD order here
RS232 Version uses genuine MAX3221E chip, includes 1.5m DB9 Cable  $50 USD order here
Prices Include Free International Postage!

Send me a PM if you are interested
Need a green dot compatible Data Logger Board for your Davis VP, VP2, Vue or Weather Envoy?
USB Version uses genuine FTDI USB chip, includes 2m USB Cable $79.99 USD order here
RS232 Version uses genuine MAX3221E chip, includes 1.5m DB9 Cable  $89.99 USD order here
See here for more info.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »
Does the Davis loopback test cable work with the DSI-01? I lost connection to my console since I installed my new computer. I am trying to troubleshoot the issue. The WL program cannot find the loopback with the cable connected.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2014, 09:40:17 AM »
Does the Davis loopback test cable work with the DSI-01? I lost connection to my console since I installed my new computer. I am trying to troubleshoot the issue. The WL program cannot find the loopback with the cable connected.

Greg H.

I just made a loopback connection at the RS232 pins and that works with PuTTYtel. Strangely, the WL loopback test does not work with the RS232 jumper. (handshake lines?)

I have an older VP2 console (eBay) that was working on this connection previously even after updating the firmware to 3.12.

I have removed battery/power and waited for over a minute for the console to discharge. Hmmm..

Greg H.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »

Greg H.

I just made a loopback connection at the RS232 pins and that works with PuTTYtel. Strangely, the WL loopback test does not work with the RS232 jumper. (handshake lines?)

I have an older VP2 console (eBay) that was working on this connection previously even after updating the firmware to 3.12.

I have removed battery/power and waited for over a minute for the console to discharge. Hmmm..

Greg H.

I ran a test to see if there was something hosed up inside of this 2nd console. I removed the working WLIP from my original console and installed it into this console that had the DSI-01 installed. It worked fine with the WLIP and I was able to test communication and read out the data using Weatherlink.

Then, I placed the DSI-01 back into the 2nd console. IT WORKED!

Could the console Rx/Tx ports been hosed up and the WLIP "fixed" it somehow? Once it successfully communicated with the WLIP, it now works with the DSI-01. Bizarre!  :shock:

UPDATE: Well, after a while it is up to its old tricks and refusing to work again. I am beginning to suspect that there really is an issue with the 3.12 and the DSK-01, despite the temporary situation described above.

Well after eliminating everything else, I concluded that it was a hardware problem. I re-flashed the console firmware to 1.90 and is still happened. I took the console apart and re-soldered the logger connection on the main board. I have been running several days now with no problem. Before re-soldering the connector, it would take about 20 minutes to lose communication.

I suspect a cracked solder joint that manifested itself after time with the heating of the logger.

It was probably risky re-flashing with this thermal intermittent, but I did it right away after power on. (and I didn't know this at the time)

I now suspect that the WLIP didn't actually do anything, and it was the cooling and removal/replace of the loggers that disturbed the solder joints enough for it to work for a while.

Greg H.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:00:49 PM by miraculon »

Offline daniel@yordanovi.com

« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2015, 11:39:44 PM »
Hi there! Looking for pinout and protocol of the console RJ11 of the Davis Vantage Pro 2 ISS transmitter!?

Offline lele

« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2016, 04:12:02 AM »
Hi, I have a problem with a Vantage Vue VERSION 2.14   in connection on serial.
I use raspberry pi 2 .
My code is:

import serial

WXPORT = '/dev/ttyAMA0'
WXBAUDRATE = 19200
WXBYTESIZE = serial.EIGHTBITS
WXPARITY = serial.PARITY_NONE
WXSTOPBITS = serial.STOPBITS_ONE
WXXONOFF = False
WXTIMEOUT = 3

w = serial.Serial(WXPORT, WXBAUDRATE, WXBYTESIZE, WXPARITY, WXSTOPBITS, WXTIMEOUT, WXXONOFF)

w.write("\n")
w.write("VER")
print w.readline()

My output is a echo to the write.
For example
w.write(“VER”)
OUTPUT w.readline() is “VER” AND NOT THE VERSION THE VANTAGE VUE.

ANY SOLUTION?

I read the manual wospi (http://meteo.annoyingdesigns.com/WOSPi.pdf) and in the code:

wospi.wx = wospi.openWxComm()
#wospi.wx = w
wospi.readWxData() # read LOOP/LOOP2 packet(s), as determined by the LPS setting..
# Note: the wxDict and wxMinMax dictionaries are now populated.
# "print wxDict" and/or "print wxMinMax" will display the corresponding diction..
print wospi.getRawData(1, 9, 'H') # LOOP packet, offset 9, WORD value = inside ..
print wospi.getRawData(2, 43, 'B') # LOOP2 packet, offset 43, BYTE value = UV i...
print wospi.getRawData(1, 18, 'B') # LOOP packet, offset 18, BYTE value = Extra...
# Note: extra temperature is offset by 90 degrees F - ref. Davis documentation
print wospi.getRawData(1, 62, 'B') # LOOP packet, offset 62, BYTE value = Soil …

my output is:

Fri Feb 26 11:58:07 2016 LT: Console wakeup call, attempt no. 1 of 3.
Fri Feb 26 11:58:07 2016 LT: Console NOT responding to wakeup call.
Fri Feb 26 11:58:08 2016 LT: Console wakeup call, attempt no. 2 of 3.
Fri Feb 26 11:58:08 2016 LT: Console NOT responding to wakeup call.
Fri Feb 26 11:58:10 2016 LT: Console wakeup call, attempt no. 3 of 3.
Fri Feb 26 11:58:10 2016 LT: Console NOT responding to wakeup call.
Fri Feb 26 11:58:11 2016 LT: Unable to wake up the console. Check connections.
None
None
None
None

No responding send. Any solution?

Offline W5CI

« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2020, 08:30:30 AM »
the screen on my Vantages Veue console had died, gone blank, I called Davis and got no answer nd emailed their support team asking about their refurb program. still awaiting for response after 24 hours.  is the refurb program still available and if so what is the turn around time . thanks

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2023, 10:58:05 AM »
I have found an unopened pre-green dot Vantage Vue console in my stash and even an unused DSI-01 thrown in to boot! Posting is here: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=44961.0

Offline rv1cj

« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2023, 12:50:12 PM »
My project data logger. Serial output.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]