Author Topic: DSI-01 Serial Interface for Davis VP, VP2, Vue and Envoy availability  (Read 96571 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: DSI-01 Serial Interface for Davis VP, VP2, Vue and Envoy availability
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »
I edited the first post, and I'll post this disclaimer here as well:

NOTE: DO NOT ORDER THIS INTERFACE IF YOUR CONSOLE MANUFACTURING CODE
STARTS WITH AA  (VANTAGE PRO 2) OR MA (VANTAGE VUE) OR GREATER
OR  THE CONSOLE FIRMWARE IS 3.0 OR GREATER!!

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2013, 11:04:45 PM »
I have been unable to get any useful data from my DSI-01 interface.

I just stumbled upon this:
http://www.joejaworski.com/weather/

I am wondering if the DSI-01 might work via the Troy XCD Serial Server to translate Vantage Vue output for use with HTML (as described in his article) and with an ArgentData OT3m for APRS.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2013, 12:42:25 AM »
Handygeek,

I'm sorry that you are having trouble with your DSI-01 interface. If you had contacted me directly, we could have accelerated the troubleshooting process. I've even shipped replacement interfaces at no charge to facilitate the process.

Having said that, have you read the post preceding yours in this thread? Do you have a very recent console with Manufacturing Codes beginning with 2 letters instead of one, or firmware rev > 3.X? If so, my interface will not work. Contact me via email or PM and I will refund your money upon return of the interface.

If not, I'll be happy to work with you on troubleshooting your issues with the DSI-01. Again, email or PM me with the details of your setup so I can be of the most help to you.

Best regards,

Chris

I am wondering if the DSI-01 might work via the Troy XCD Serial Server to translate Vantage Vue output for use with HTML (as described in his article) and with an ArgentData OT3m for APRS.

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »
There are multiple variables here ...

1.  The manufacturing code begins with a "F"

2.  I am Linux-only

3.  I am using Puppy Linux (Exprimo, based on dpup)

4.  I'd like to feed the data via HTML for both online and to APRS

5.  I don't recall how to read the firmware version

6.  The APRS device is an ArgentData OT3M & it didn't understand the data

7.  I have Xastir loaded for APRS & it didn't understand the data

Should I get a serial server as the linked article suggests?

Thanks!

Handygeek,

I'm sorry that you are having trouble with your DSI-01 interface. If you had contacted me directly, we could have accelerated the troubleshooting process. I've even shipped replacement interfaces at no charge to facilitate the process.

Having said that, have you read the post preceding yours in this thread? Do you have a very recent console with Manufacturing Codes beginning with 2 letters instead of one, or firmware rev > 3.X? If so, my interface will not work. Contact me via email or PM and I will refund your money upon return of the interface.

If not, I'll be happy to work with you on troubleshooting your issues with the DSI-01. Again, email or PM me with the details of your setup so I can be of the most help to you.

Best regards,

Chris

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2013, 02:10:01 PM »
The first question then is, can you talk to the console using the DSI-01, the serial port, and a terminal program? The settings should be 19,200, 8 N 1, no flow control.

Make sure you are using the correct port in the term program.

The console doesn't echo keystrokes, so you won't see anything until you hit enter.

TEST (all commands HAVE to be in CAPS) should return TEST, VER the date of the firmware and NVER (if the console supports it) returns the firmware rev.

I think all this is in the instructions I included with the interface.

Let us know the results of this testing.

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
If I could find those instructions ...  :oops:

Date: Oct 25, 2010
Ver: 2.14

The first question then is, can you talk to the console using the DSI-01, the serial port, and a terminal program? The settings should be 19,200, 8 N 1, no flow control.

Make sure you are using the correct port in the term program.

The console doesn't echo keystrokes, so you won't see anything until you hit enter.

TEST (all commands HAVE to be in CAPS) should return TEST, VER the date of the firmware and NVER (if the console supports it) returns the firmware rev.

I think all this is in the instructions I included with the interface.

Let us know the results of this testing.

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »
I just heard back from Joe Jaworski and he recommended this SparkFun device as a substitute for the Troy, which proved tough to locate:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9476

Terminal output re. Date and Firmware Version:

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2013, 11:31:50 AM »
If anyone is looking to save a few $$ by purchasing my DSI-01 interface, I have some interesting news.

Rob at Rainmanweather.com just got in a big shipment of non-green-dot Vantage Vues and Vue consoles. These were manufactured in Dec but have 2.x firmware and single letter manufacturing codes.

Call him and ask for the non-green dot Vue or Vue console if you are so inclined. 888-672-4699

NOTE, this is Vues and Vue consoles ONLY. The VP2s are all green-dot.

And I have plenty of stock of DSI-01s for sale as well.

http://wx.sloweather.com/dsi-01.php
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:40:31 AM by SLOweather »

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2013, 12:44:23 PM »
So my Firmware is old enough & I have communication with my Davis
Vantage Vue via the DSI-01

Is it reasonable to believe that Joe's Linux software & the SparkFun interface will
get me the needed access to the Davis Vantage Vue data stream via the DSI-01?

I just heard back from Joe Jaworski and he recommended this SparkFun device as a substitute for the Troy, which proved tough to locate:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9476

Terminal output re. Date and Firmware Version:

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2013, 03:55:43 PM »
Bump?

Still stuck at this stage ...

I can see the device to read the Version and Date.

Now what do I need to do next to discover a means to access the data, please?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »

I don't know that anyone here has the experience with a Linux project such as you've laid out, to be of much help.

We can tell you how to do it with Windows, and even some Mac people hang out here.

Based on my experiences, though, I would recommend breaking the project up into small chunks and make each chunk work before moving on. Else you will never know what's wrong if it doesn't work.

For instance, it seems as if you want to connect to a serial-over-ethernet adapter. I would install the TCP-IP com port software and make sure that it can talk to the adapter and then to the console before moving on.

Then you could install the demo Linux version of Weather Display and make sure that it can actually talk to the console and download data.

If you are having trouble with the Argent device, there may be a problem with handshaking line. Only 7 and 8 are jumpered in the DSI-01 green plug.

Keep us posted. You're breaking new ground here.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »

This may be part of your problem:

6. The APRS device is an ArgentData OT3M & it didn't understand the data

From the Tracker3 web page:

# Weather Station Support - Supports Peet Bros, AAG 1-wire, and LaCrosse WS-2300 series weather stations.

Davis stations aren't mentioned. I believe the others all stream their data continuously from the serial port, where the Davis units have to be asked for it by the attached hardware/software.

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2013, 12:20:35 AM »
The tonyperk post is an exciting new piece of information now added to the Forum!

I am editing the weewx.conf file and will follow his step-by-step process & report my results!

Offline Dommer

« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2013, 07:45:05 AM »
Hi,

I recently purchased what I believe to be a non-green dot Vantage Vue from Rainmanweather.com, as I had specifically requested that from Rob based on SLOweather's post http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=14063.msg172284#msg172284

I would like to eventually either get SLOweather's cable/create my own and get this connected to a Linux system (Raspberry Pi).  Before I go down this path, I now have some concerns about the compatibility of my Vue. 

When I check the firmware version on my Vue's console (Done & "+" buttons), it shows up as Rev 2.14, which I believe is good.  When I check the Manufacturing code on the back, it starts with "MA", which would indicate a problem based on SLOweather's note below.

NOTE: DO NOT ORDER THIS INTERFACE IF YOUR CONSOLE MANUFACTURING CODE STARTS WITH AA  (VANTAGE PRO 2) OR MA (VANTAGE VUE) OR GREATER OR  THE CONSOLE FIRMWARE IS 3.0 OR GREATER!!

Can anyone confirm if I should be good to go with firmware 2.14 and a Mfg. code starting with MA?

Thanks!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »
Can anyone confirm if I should be good to go with firmware 2.14 and a Mfg. code starting with MA?

That's an interesting one - first example I've heard of. I doubt very much that anyone outside of Davis will know the answer.

My guess would be that it wouldn't work - if you take the Mfg Code at face value then it's the revised hardware and then the hardware takes precedence over firmware as to whether it will work. But it is just a guess. Could have some rarity value  :-)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2013, 10:15:06 AM »

That's an interesting one - first example I've heard of. I doubt very much that anyone outside of Davis will know the answer.

My guess would be that it wouldn't work - if you take the Mfg Code at face value then it's the revised hardware and then the hardware takes precedence over firmware as to whether it will work. But it is just a guess. Could have some rarity value  :-)

That is, however, the answer (indirectly) to the question that I posed in:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=18121.0

It does not mean (either way) that 1.9 firmware would not run on a new console, if you could somehow load it.

2.14 firmware for the Vue, of course.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »
PM me your postal address and I'll send you a DSI-o1 to test.

Hi,

I recently purchased what I believe to be a non-green dot Vantage Vue from Rainmanweather.com, as I had specifically requested that from Rob based on SLOweather's post http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=14063.msg172284#msg172284

I would like to eventually either get SLOweather's cable/create my own and get this connected to a Linux system (Raspberry Pi).  Before I go down this path, I now have some concerns about the compatibility of my Vue. 

When I check the firmware version on my Vue's console (Done & "+" buttons), it shows up as Rev 2.14, which I believe is good.  When I check the Manufacturing code on the back, it starts with "MA", which would indicate a problem based on SLOweather's note below.

NOTE: DO NOT ORDER THIS INTERFACE IF YOUR CONSOLE MANUFACTURING CODE STARTS WITH AA  (VANTAGE PRO 2) OR MA (VANTAGE VUE) OR GREATER OR  THE CONSOLE FIRMWARE IS 3.0 OR GREATER!!

Thanks!

Offline Dommer

« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
PM sent with requested info, thanks for the offer to test this out.

I'll post my results once tested.

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2013, 09:48:23 PM »
Greetings. To clarify, I can absolutely confirm and guarantee that the 2.14 firmware on Vue console with manufacturing code starting with MA does work with the SLOweather interface. I have actually tested this and would not have suggested that it did work without first having done so.

Please disregard the conjecture that the 2 digit manufacturing code has anything to do with the compatibility, that has proven to be an incorrect assumption. it is the firmware 3.0 and Green Dot that matters. FW 2.14, no Green Dot IS GOOD regardless of MA code.

We still have plenty of them available in stock too!  ;)

Thanks, Rob

Hi,

I would like to eventually either get SLOweather's cable/create my own and get this connected to a Linux system (Raspberry Pi).  Before I go down this path, I now have some concerns about the compatibility of my Vue.  

When I check the firmware version on my Vue's console (Done & "+" buttons), it shows up as Rev 2.14, which I believe is good.  When I check the Manufacturing code on the back, it starts with "MA", which would indicate a problem based on SLOweather's note below.

NOTE: DO NOT ORDER THIS INTERFACE IF YOUR CONSOLE MANUFACTURING CODE STARTS WITH AA  (VANTAGE PRO 2) OR MA (VANTAGE VUE) OR GREATER OR  THE CONSOLE FIRMWARE IS 3.0 OR GREATER!!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:52:51 AM by RainmanWeather »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:35 PM »

Please disregard the conjecture that the manufacturing code has anything to do with the compatibility, that was strictly an uninformed and incorrect assumption on someone else's part. it is the firmware 3.0 and Green Dot that matters. FW 2.14, no Green Dot IS GOOD regardless of MA code.

I'm sure it wasn't uninformed - it was johnd responding to my question about what would happen on a new console if you did install the old pre-green-dot firmware.  In other words is the new console hardware such that it is technically impossible for old firmware to run on it.

He said (paraphrasing) that Davis had said that you can't "downgrade" the 3.0 firmware on a new console, to the "pre-green-dot" firmware. 

I pointed out that firmware installers usually won't "down-level" the firmware.  So, the Davis statement didn't answer the question.

Now, that question has been answered.  [We still do not know if there are additional "features" in the new console hardware, though]

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2013, 01:24:18 AM »
I was responding to the statement about the manufacturing code designating console compatibility. The fact is that actual testing has proven that the assumption that a 2 digit manufacturing code (i.e. "MA") on Vue console is not actually an indicator of compatibility. The only reliable indicator is the console version of 3.0 and the physical presence of a green dot on the packaging. Newer manufacturing codes as recent as MA121214xxx with FW 2.14 and no physical green dot on packaging have been tested to work with DSI-01. On the other hand, there were MB1211xxxxx codes that were 3.0 and green dot so perhaps that is where the manufacturing code does indicate the change happens at MB vs. MA.

I would say that it is probably likely that the 3.0 firmware is only flashed onto the new hardware (maybe manufacturing code MB?) that Davis claims is the reason for the change and that you will not be able to down-rev firmware on it, but that is strictly conjecture on my part and I have no hard information to back that up with.

Please disregard the conjecture that the manufacturing code has anything to do with the compatibility, that was strictly an uninformed and incorrect assumption on someone else's part. it is the firmware 3.0 and Green Dot that matters. FW 2.14, no Green Dot IS GOOD regardless of MA code.

I'm sure it wasn't uninformed - it was johnd responding to my question about what would happen on a new console if you did install the old pre-green-dot firmware.  In other words is the new console hardware such that it is technically impossible for old firmware to run on it.

He said (paraphrasing) that Davis had said that you can't "downgrade" the 3.0 firmware on a new console, to the "pre-green-dot" firmware.  

I pointed out that firmware installers usually won't "down-level" the firmware.  So, the Davis statement didn't answer the question.

Now, that question has been answered.  [We still do not know if there are additional "features" in the new console hardware, though]

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:27:53 AM by RainmanWeather »

Offline Dommer

« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »

Success!!   =D>

I just wanted to report back that my Vantage Vue (firmware 2.14 Mfg code MAxxx) works with SLOweather's serial cable.

My setup:

Setup was quick, installed Cumulus, installed driver that came on CD with cable, hooked up cable and changed to Com port 3 on the Cumulus Station Settings page.

SLOweather, please send me a PM with what I owe you and I'll PayPal the amount to you (going away for weekend so may be paid early next week).

Thanks all!

Offline n7xrd

• Forecaster
    • Kamiah Weather
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2013, 10:42:06 PM »
I edited the first post, and I'll post this disclaimer here as well:

NOTE: DO NOT ORDER THIS INTERFACE IF YOUR CONSOLE MANUFACTURING CODE
STARTS WITH AA  (VANTAGE PRO 2) OR MA (VANTAGE VUE) OR GREATER
OR  THE CONSOLE FIRMWARE IS 3.0 OR GREATER!!

Looks like this may work now with the latest firmware 3.12??

Offline Astronomer

• Mt. Brydges Weather
I'm of the "try first and read manual later" school of doing things. I actually downloaded the 3.12 update, but I'm assuming that you can't update via the DS1-01? It recognized COM1 as active, but could not find the VP-2. After reading some of the latter part of this discussion thread, I'm not clear as to whether the DS1-01 will work with the new firmware. Last, what exactly do I need to perform an upgrade to the new firmware (which I will do only if my cable will work with it)? My VP-2 is running 1.90.  I am interested in the update because my Cumulus software's error log shows that it has the known issue of generating many connection errors.

edit: Stopping Cumulus allowed the update to find the VP2. I have not updated the firmware yet.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:03:37 PM by Astronomer »

Offline Astronomer

• Mt. Brydges Weather
My VP2 console just came back from Davis today, and the firmware has been updated to 3.12. My Cumulus software is not getting data from the unit. Can I assume that the DS1-01 will not work with this firmware update...?

anything