Author Topic: Which logger? A schematic  (Read 12157 times)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: Which logger? A schematic
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2022, 01:37:44 PM »
I don't have a WLL, so I'm not 100% sure.  But I believe it goes like this.

Setup your WLL with a static IP in your router.  That way it gets the same IP.

Second, you'll need some software like WeatherDisplay or CumulusMX on a PC.  You'll use the IP address of the WLL to configure your software.  I believe it uses port 2222.

You'll likely want to keep your software/PC running 24/7.  I'm sure the WLL will have some memory in it to keep a few days worth of data to download later.  But you'll only have a few days.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here...
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2022, 02:20:46 PM »
As @92merc says, CumulusMX uses the IP address to get live data from WLL whenever it is running.  WLL sends the data to WL.com at the set interval and that logged data is used for archive catchup when CumulusMX is shut down, and then restarted.  All that is needed is to select the Weatherlink Live station and do the Davis Weatherlink Live, including the API details, settings in CumulusMX.
You'll likely want to keep your software/PC running 24/7.  I'm sure the WLL will have some memory in it to keep a few days worth of data to download later.  But you'll only have a few days.
Not sure how much data WLL itself can store as it does an update to WL.com whenever it gets an internet connection but expect it is quite a long time.  Recently I had a computer issue and restarted from a backup more than 30 days ago and CumulusMX got all the archive data from WL.com at the 5-minute interval.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2022, 04:36:15 AM »
The WLL show a light gray line going to a PC. How is this connection achieved?

There is no huge significance to the WLL line being grey. It is a thick solid line to indicate that it is perfectly usable for passing data to a PC program. WLL is a network device, so data is only passed to a PC via a network connection - either WiFi or Ethernet.

However, using a different colour denotes that the data format is completely different from the traditional Davis binary API/format and so can only be used with software that is explicitly compatible with WLL.

The data architecture also differs in other ways, eg with WLL there is no concept of summary or archive/historical data in the traditional Davis sense. AFAIK any catch-up process (eg if the logging program was offline or down for any reason) needs to retrieve the missing data using a Pro subscription at weatherlink.com, rather than from the WLL unit.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 04:41:01 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline jav

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2022, 03:11:09 PM »
The data architecture also differs in other ways, eg with WLL there is no concept of summary or archive/historical data in the traditional Davis sense. AFAIK any catch-up process (eg if the logging program was offline or down for any reason) needs to retrieve the missing data using a Pro subscription at weatherlink.com, rather than from the WLL unit.
WLL do have archive data concept, but only gets sent to weatherlink.com, it's kept in WLL when offline and deleted as soon as it's uploaded. Official local API don't expose it. A local simulation of the weatherlink.com connection can capture that data (plus some extra internal data too).

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2022, 04:10:41 PM »
WLL do have archive data concept, but only gets sent to weatherlink.com,

OK, let me be more specific. Unlike the traditional Davis data loggers, WLL has no concept of summary/archive data as a separate special data format where the summary is generated and stored within the logger. The catch-up process for data flowing from WLL to wl.com simply involves (AIUI) queuing of the standard real-time dat6a packets. But even these non-summary packets are not available to for local download AFAIK.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline jav

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2022, 04:17:33 PM »
OK, let me be more specific. Unlike the traditional Davis data loggers, WLL has no concept of summary/archive data as a separate special data format where the summary is generated and stored within the logger.
Yes, it does. WLL sends both archive and loop data to weatherlink.com during normal operation. When catching-up, it only sends the archive data for the missed period. Archive data is generated and stored within the logger. Archive period is configured through weatherlink.com web interface and it's configured into WLL. It sends archive data using this period.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 04:21:49 PM by jav »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2022, 04:34:17 PM »
Yes, it does. WLL sends both archive and loop data to weatherlink.com during normal operation.

That's how the old loggers work. WLL is different AIUI. Look at the API documentation, which hints at in notes like this: 'Please be aware that the WeatherLink v2 API is not a one-to-one correlation with the v1 API. The focus of the v2 API is on the raw data from the weather station as it is reported to the WeatherLink.com service. The v1 API was more focused on mixing different kinds of data together to form a report.' WLL uses only the v2 API. The stream of 1-minute real-time records is what wl.com calculates its archive data from AIUI.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline jav

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2022, 04:40:54 PM »
That's how the old loggers work. WLL is different AIUI. Look at the API documentation,

I took another path: I looked into the traffic between WLL and weatherlink.com, analyzed it, decoded it and emulated the connection. I can confirm that both loop and archive data are present. I've been collecting archive packets successfully for a few months already (and catching-up every now and then).

Here is some code I wrote to be used in Weewx:
https://github.com/michael-slx/weewx-weatherlink-live/pull/22

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2022, 06:59:03 AM »
@jav: OK, thanks, sounds like good work. Always willing to be proved wrong if there is concrete evidence to the contrary. Davis have obviously been keeping very quiet about this possibility.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK