Author Topic: For those with newer VP2's and temp/hum sensor problems  (Read 4414 times)

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
For those with newer VP2's and temp/hum sensor problems
« on: August 25, 2006, 12:09:18 PM »
For those who are getting problematic readings (temps of -50F to -90F) from their temp/hum sensor on newer VP2's contact Davis for a replacement. Seems there was a bad lot that was produced.

Also, be sure to ask for the newer version sensor which reports a perfect 0.1F resolution instead of the older version sensors that skips certain readings. It took a lengthy email exchange with Davis to explain what I was talking about, but all is settled now.

Here are some excerpts from emails I received from the helpful guys at Davis...

The -90F reading is a known issue. We did have a bad lot of temp/hum sensors.
Please call our tech support number to arrange for a replacement.

Hello,

I understand your problem now. At first I was still skeptical, but I also knew we did have a newer temp/hum sensor.  We asked an engineer and he did say our older analog temp/hum sensors do have a slight resolution issue when recording in tenths of a degree. Interesting that nobody ever noticed this before.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
For those with newer VP2's and temp/hum sensor problems
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 01:42:53 PM »
I also had to replace mine after about 4 months of service. So far no problems.

Offline Clammer

• Weather "On the Beach"
VP-2 Humidity Problem
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 01:57:56 PM »
Yesterday, (very early in the morning) I found my humidity fluctuating between correct and 100%.  Finally, it stopped on 100%!  I e-mailed Davis and they asked that I call them to order a replacement.  Now let me tell you how pleased I am with their service and support!  They are shipping me a new temp/hum sensor with full warranty!  I've owned Davis equipment for about 12 years and have never had a situation (problem) that was not handled quickly and to my complete satisfaction!  Why would I buy another manufacturer's product?

Best to all,

Clammer

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Re: For those with newer VP2's and temp/hum sensor problems
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 08:33:45 PM »
Over the last few days I began having a fall-out on humidity - being dashed out (as well as related indices). Just now I just noticed a recorded low temp of -39F that 3 minutes later became a wind chill of -63. It was about 55F real-temp at the time.

Should I see this as the same temp/hum sensor failure? The dashed-out reading threw me a bit but after reading here and just now noticing the bad low temps...

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Re: For those with newer VP2's and temp/hum sensor problems
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 06:01:02 PM »
After a Davis email confirmation of it sounding like the bad sensor, I called them up, they took my name and address and said I should have a new one in 4 days or so. However, they want the old one back (I pay shipping) within 30 days or I'm charged $130. Not a bad deal and their tech support was quick and efficient. It took no more than 5 minutes total.

I got my unit earlier in the year and just thought I would pass this along on this thread from last year.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

anything