Author Topic: VirtualVP Does Not Work with Firmware 3.12  (Read 13751 times)

Offline Gretnawx

• Gretna Weather Page
VirtualVP Does Not Work with Firmware 3.12
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:53:11 PM »
VirtualVP is not compatible with the new Vantage Pro 2 console firmware v3.12.  All seems OK until you try to have WeatherLink do web uploads. No upload occur after the firmware upgrade and The WeatherLink log indicates the following:

03/10/13  4:51p (My Station) Unable to upload Data Upload Profile(s) 1 5  because of errors. See error messages below.
 03/10/13  4:51p (My Station) Error reading data from the Station.
 03/10/13  4:51p (My Station) We did not receive an acknowledge to our last command.  Please try again.
 03/10/13  4:51p (My Station) GetAcknowledge () response: 0x0A (should be 0x06 <ACK>)

I was able to reinstall firmware version v1.90 to the console and uploads are working again. 
There are 10 types of people in the world - Those that know binary and those that don't

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
Re: VirtualVP Does Not Work with Firmware 3.12
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:40:42 PM »
There are some programs that (seem to) work fine with VVP and the 3.12 firmware.

I had an issue with two programs on 3.12: WUHU and Virtual Weather Station, neither of these would communicate at all.

There was no problem (on my end) running Cumulus, VPLive and WeatherLink while on VVP using 3.12.

I don't use WeatherLink for anything other than viewing, so I did not experience your particular upload issue.
Cumulus and WUHU do my web uploading.

Speculation is it has something to do with LOOP2 commands not being passed through, or with one of the associated DLL files, although I have no idea what that entails.  

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:47:20 PM by JACK10562 »
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »
VirtualVP is not compatible with the new Vantage Pro 2 console firmware v3.12.  All seems OK until you try to have WeatherLink do web uploads. No upload occur after the firmware upgrade and The WeatherLink log indicates the following:

03/10/13  4:51p (My Station) Unable to upload Data Upload Profile(s) 1 5  because of errors. See error messages below.
 03/10/13  4:51p (My Station) Error reading data from the Station.
 03/10/13  4:51p (My Station) We did not receive an acknowledge to our last command.  Please try again.
 03/10/13  4:51p (My Station) GetAcknowledge () response: 0x0A (should be 0x06 <ACK>)

I was able to reinstall firmware version v1.90 to the console and uploads are working again.  

You possibly didn't have to reinstall 1.90 firmware.  I had the same problem you did.  Rather than reinstall firmware, I tried running the only other version of Weatherlink I had on my computer.  It is 5.8.3 and uploading proceeded as before.  The version of Weatherllink that wouldn't upload was one of the latest ones, 6.02.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:27:46 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Javier

• MeteoMaspalomas
    • Maspalomas Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:28:38 AM »
Hello:

I have running virtual vp with vp2 console (SERIAL) 3.13 firmware, I had connected 3 weathersoftware ( cumulus, weatherdisplay and VWS), Cumulus and weatherdisplay works fine with virtual vp TCP-IP but VWS download the data from datalogger but after lost connection with virtual vp. But if I connect vws directly to por COM port, works fine.

Now I have installed the Eterlogic VSPE sorftware in the system "Splitter", the real COM1 go to create virtual COM2 for multiple weatherprograms at the same time and then I have conected VWS directly to virtual com2 and the same time I have connected the Virtual VP at com2. This all programs works, but VWS works slow, the data of the display go later, every 10 seconds more o less, no live.

Thanks.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Weatherdisplay software in Windows 10 64 bits at 100 metres of Sea Level.

http://www.meteomaspalomas.com

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 02:29:15 PM »
a com port splitter is not going to work as well as VVP with a station like a Davis that has 2 way communications
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Javier

• MeteoMaspalomas
    • Maspalomas Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 06:10:27 PM »
Hello again:

I used this method because it was the fastest I found. I do not know much about the virtual vp nor virtual COM ports.

Right now I guess if the virtual port COM2 accessed on one hand the VWS, and secondly with the Virtual VP and Cumulus Weatherdisplay by TCP-IP ports guess it's normal that the VWS not go in live mode, meaning that the display update the VWS takes quite.

What other method you advise me or change the firmware back to version 1.90?

Thanks.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Weatherdisplay software in Windows 10 64 bits at 100 metres of Sea Level.

http://www.meteomaspalomas.com

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 09:40:31 AM »
Unless you have something which is not functioning correctly that the new firmware fixes, I would roll it back to 1.90.
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 02:41:12 AM »
I've tried using Weatherlink 5.9 with VirtualVP and Firmware 3.12.  Like with version 6.02, it  also could not upload.  Is there little hope that the author will upgrade VirtualVP to get it to work with later versions of Weatherlink and Firmware 3.12?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »
anyone tried an old version of the vantagepro.dll file ? (prior to LOOP2)
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
I am running the 3.12 version firmware with weatherlink software 5.8.3 and VirtualVP works just fine. I use TCP/IP for Weather Display and serial ports for Weatherlink, Cumulus and VPLive. The Weatherlink version 6 will not work with VirtualVP.

Chuck

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »
I suspect that older version of weatherlink has an older version of the vantagepro.dll file
which could be tested to use with the latest version of weatherlink
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline cautery

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 03:06:45 AM »
I have a new VP2+ with a WeatherLink IP datalogger.  It came with 3.00 firmware, but I updated it to v3.12

I currently have WeatherLink (latest) and Cumulus (latest) running simultaneously via VVP and ALSO have the WeathLink IP uploading....  Go into VVP Settings-->Communications and heck the "Temporarily release connection once per minute" check box...  During the disconnect (about 1-2 seconds), WeatherLink IP will generally be able to get a packet up to WeatherLink.com.

Additionally, I installed com0com and am now able to get WeatherLink to work via EITHER the TCP/IP connection or via Serial using VVP.

Don't know if this is new info, just letting y'all know what my experiences are....

I'm gonna go install WD and VWS now and try them.

EDIT:  Haven't added WD or VWS yet, but...

I currently have WeatherLink, Cumulus, and VP Live running stably via VVP.
WL - setup to use Virtual Serial
Cumulus (as the base software for the Saratoga-Weather.org templates) and VP Live using TCP/IP

Note: It does require connecting in a specific order:
1) Start VVP
2) Open WL, and then start the Bulletin.  Once it is stable...
3) Start Cumulus. Once it is stable...
4) Start VP Live...  Note:  VP Live is displaying sensor info correctly, but it is having trouble getting the firmware and barometer cal, and time... thus it can't do the auto time syncs and force barometer actions.... which it does fine when connected by itself.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:51:28 PM by cautery »
Clay Autery
More, Better, Faster...

Offline Gretnawx

• Gretna Weather Page
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 07:29:33 PM »
It is good to hear others are having success where I have not.  I found that the only way to get WeatherLink to successfully download station data with v3.12 firmware and do history graphs and data uploads was to fall back to WeatherLink v5.8.1 which I happened to have an old copy of on my hard drive.  That worked but introduced other problems which have been corrected in the newer versions of WeatherLink.  After much tinkering with my configuration I've decided to abandon the VVP/VPLive/WeatherLink setup I've been using for five plus hears and just let WeatherLink do it all (web page uploads, CWOP, WeatherUnderground).  It seems to be working fine for the past week.  It is a shame that a useful niche product like VVP and VPLive are no longer being supported by their author.
There are 10 types of people in the world - Those that know binary and those that don't

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 03:34:07 AM »
I suspect that older version of weatherlink has an older version of the vantagepro.dll file
I haven't tried an older version because  5.83 appears to be the same as  the one in 6.02.  Maybe I should try the 5.83 version with 6.02 anyway.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 04:44:17 AM »
you would need to check the date/time on the actual dll file (i.e compare)
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline WSD

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 11:45:07 AM »
Hello,

Does anyone know there will be an update of Virtual-vp.
Or an update from Virtual Weather Station which ensures that firmware version 3.12 can be used.

With kind regards,
O. de Zwart

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »
Does anyone know there will be an update of Virtual-vp.

That's the million-dollar question. More than a few people are wondering the same thing.

Steve has not been around the forum for quite some time, now.
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 03:38:53 AM »

From my trying it out, this is to confirm that switching the vantagepro.dll file in Weatherlink 5.82 to Weatherlink 5.90 does not make the latter work with Virtual VP after VP2 firmware is upgraded to 3.12.  So Weatherlink 5.82 remains the only version I know of that will upload when used with Virtual VP and VP2 firmware updated to 3.12.

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 08:15:06 AM »
I am running Weatherlink 5.8.3 and it runs with firmware 3.12.

Chuck

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
    • Luna Weather Station - Valenza
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 07:41:44 PM »
I'm running VWS (latest) with firmware 3.12, after the firmware's update everything works fine as before.
But VWS now don't run on VVP.
Now for us users of VWS will be difficult, but with VVP had to happen sooner or later, after 4 years without updates.
I would like to understand why, between all the programmers who attend the forum, or between software producers, no one has yet managed to produce a code similar to VVP, given its usefulness.
While wanting to understand all its problems, at least it would have been appropriate that Steve would make its code open-source, before disappearing with licenses that is still selling..
Ken and talented programmers, where are you? Give us back a VVP working, please!!

Piero

Davis ISS and Weather Envoy
Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink
www.lunavalenza.altervista.org

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 02:11:39 AM »
I offered to keep it updated, i.e if he allowed me to have the source files...but I never heard back
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »
In fact, I had read it in the other topic..this is exactly what does not seem right: do not reply to friends who offer to continue a great job, creating problems at all.
I speak as a not-programmer, but is it really so hard to recreate the entire code from the beginning?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 05:06:17 PM by Piero »
Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »
but is it really so hard to recreate the entire code from the beginning?
sure is
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 04:10:38 AM »
I understand... However, it should be a nice business, if I had the expertise to do that I think would try.
However, I confirm that after the downgrade to firmware 1.9 everything is back to work.
We just have to wait, so...

Piero
Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 05:20:13 AM »
I dont think there is all that much demand ...would hardly cover the time spent on developing (would take many hours)

you should be OK on the older firmware...you are not really missing out on anything by using that firmware
Brian
info@weather-display.com