Author Topic: Missing data before September 2016  (Read 3472 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Missing data before September 2016
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
From another forum
I have however noticed the WU history graphs only go back to 7th of September?

That's a Wunderground issue. I don't know what has happened, but it has been like it for over a week, all the data previous to the 7th has vanished. A lot of folks are disgusted, as they use WU for a database.  :roll:

Thanks, just got a reply from them too.

<blockquote>We're restoring the data now, so some stations have it but many are still missing data. It all should come back over the next day or so.

Last quote is WU reply...

Paul
</blockquote>

Offline jjudson

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 01:57:32 PM »
Seems to be a few folks here who chastise some for depending on WU for a database.  I don't think that this is the case.  I have a database of my data, and I'm sure that most folks who use a software gateway to WU have one as well, even if they don't realize it.  The thing that angers people is that they like to have their data show up on the WU system, too.  I'm not sure that's something to chastise anyone over.
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNCJEFFE2&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNCJEFFE2&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Offline jjudson

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2016, 02:57:43 PM »
Update, at least on my end:

My data is back up on the site, as are all of the stations in my region.  Interesting.  Anyone else here seeing the site repopulated?
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNCJEFFE2&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNCJEFFE2&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2016, 04:38:01 PM »
Both my Davis/Cumulus IONTARIO226n and BloomSky IONTARIO1189 are now showing data prior to September 7th.  I am sure WU is just as glad as we are now that this is being resolved. =D&gt;

Paul

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2016, 05:06:05 PM »
My data is back.  I just spent some time reviewing my data from the day I loaded  my station onto WU 22 months ago to now.  Not a long time but still very interesting.

Offline cavuu

• Kincardine Weather
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 07:39:32 PM »
My 13 years of data is back :grin:

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 11:07:54 PM »
I don't think anyone is chastising anyone for sending data to WU. Those that only send data to WU and count on that data being always available have to come to grips with you can not count on any 3rd party for data safety.

I've been doing this online stuff before most people knew there was an internet. I did work for an on-line service called Prodigy and our first access to the internet was via text using Gopher (that also when on-line access cost $6 an hour). Over the years I've had cases where I had data stored for paid services to wake up one morning and everything is gone. My access, my data and even the complete web site, gone. No clue, no warning, no nothing, just gone.

I now always keep local copies of my data. Sure, I share it with sites like WU but will never ever count on 3rd party sites to keep it safe.

Offline mattress67

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 11:13:55 AM »
All my data is back.

I started his thread and never intended it to be critical of WU - how can you when they provide a free service? However, it is a good lesson for those who don't back up their data because someday WU could just go away - poof!

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2016, 01:06:47 PM »
I think the biggest complaint wasn't that the data was missing for awhile but the lack of communication by WU...all they had to do was post a short message on their website acknowledging the problem and that they're working on it...instead they probably received countless e mails to support, just making things more difficult for themselves. Its not only this problem but countless others that are mishandled the same way...Just cant understand their thought process.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline mattress67

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2016, 02:54:16 PM »
Yes, you are correct.