Author Topic: Having trouble setting up my station with PC  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Daffypuck

Having trouble setting up my station with PC
« on: July 20, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »
   Im trying to connect my station to my PC running on W7 with a serial to USB adaptor. I cant get the adaptor driver to function properly or install. Ive installed WL ver 5.7.1 and noticed when trying to add a station that VV is not one of the available station types in the dropdown menu. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Having trouble setting up my station with PC
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 06:20:52 PM »
What brand of adapter?  And did a driver CD come with the adapter?

Regarding WeatherLink and Vue - perhaps upgrading to the latest version of WeatherLink might help?

Offline Daffypuck

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 06:36:11 PM »
No brand name on it. Just a standard generic serial to USB cord, no CD with it or anything.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »
If I remember Davis instruments had some drivers you should look into. They may have what you need.

Back to your serial to usb adapter, you must not have a 9 pin RS232 serial port or you wouldn't need the converter.  Curious why you didn't get the USB data logger instead. 

If you can't get the USB to serial drivers working you could always get the add on rs232 PCI version serial port. Make sure its the real thing so you would want the PCI interface. Or send the serial data logger cable back for the USB version.

Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:42:31 PM »
No brand name on it. Just a standard generic serial to USB cord, no CD with it or anything.

"Generic" isn't generic - several different chipsets in various cheap brands of those, and need different drivers.

If it won't work, then buy a quality adapter that either comes with a driver CD, or says that it works with your operating system, and that you can "return to the store" if it doesn't work properly.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:58:32 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 07:39:14 PM »
Any converter that uses the Prolific company drivers seems to work.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Daffypuck

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 02:39:27 AM »
Its a used logger from another user here on the forums.  The converter cable I have is using the Prolific drivers, but I get a code 10 error. Ive run across a possible way using a Vista driver, but I don't know how to install the driver. I downloaded it, ran it, but when I go to my device manager to uninstall the Prolific driver and use the Vista one, I don't know how. It just removes the adaptor from the list in the device mgr.

Offline Daffypuck

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 02:56:10 AM »
OK, I finally got a driver that "shows" as working properly. But WL cant detect my station. I have a VV station, but WL doesn't have that station model available in the setup walkthrough. I also have both the driver and station set at the highest baud rate of 19200. Can I update to a newer WL version? Im using 5.7.1

My VV is currently running on ver 2.14  I read somewhere, that I shouldn't upgrade past 3.0 with the type of station I have. I believe, because of my model number, that my station is a pre-green dot station and the logger I purchased should work with it.

I went ahead and upgraded to WL 6.0.3, but still no detection. I have my baud rates identical, my driver for the adaptor is showing working in port 3, I have "serial" check marked when doing the walkthrough but it still doesn't detect the station. Ive aslo tried in Cumulus, but it cant detect the station either. The logger Im using is 6510C. Ive tried changing ports and nothing. Im at my wits end. Why does something so seemingly easy have to be so difficult?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:17:52 AM by Daffypuck »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 08:08:55 AM »
The photo looks like the USB-serial adapter is similar to mine.

If it is the "Pluggable" one, the Prolific driver for Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset might work. Try the Prolific web site.

You could try some loopback tests with the RX/TX pins on the USB/Serial side, and/or the Davis loopback test. See the section in the Weatherlink manual under "Communication Problems" for how to perform the loopback test. Hopefully you still have the short test cable for this.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 09:07:12 AM »
What does the Ports (COM and LPT) section of Windows Device Manager say? (With the logger and adapter fully connected and at least trying to work.)

More generally, I'd guess that you still don't have the driver for the USB adapter properly configured. Personally I'd always rather use an adapter with an FTDI chipset - I think that Prolific had problems with their drivers around the Vista era. FTDI drivers always seem to have been pretty much on the ball.

If you can't make any progress then what I'd want to do is to find/borrow use of a PC with a serial port and do some further checks with that, ie take the adapter out of the equation.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 09:16:29 AM »
When you installed WL did you set it up in the serial mode?  If not it ain't gonna work.

If youset it up in USB mode go to the WL folder > utilities and run the USB to serial converter program and then run WL in the serial mode.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 09:35:45 AM »
When you installed WL did you set it up in the serial mode?  If not it ain't gonna work.

If youset it up in USB mode go to the WL folder > utilities and run the USB to serial converter program and then run WL in the serial mode.

One level deeper, actually C:\Weatherlink\Support\Utilities. The fixer-upper program is named CP210X USB to Serial Converter.exe.

There is a newer version (than I had at least) on Davis' web site: http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/downloads/software_driver.asp

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 09:37:35 AM »

It's a SERIAL logger apparently (interfaced via a serial to USB adapter)!!!
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 10:20:49 AM »
Im at my wits end. Why does something so seemingly easy have to be so difficult?

Because you are using a collection of parts of unknown condition and unknown compatibility, and throwing different "solutions" at the problem.   [You asked]

First:  Did you properly install the logger?  [totally powering down the console, etc.?] 

Second: when you purchased the logger, did the "blue loopback plug" come with it?  If not, you need to get it from the seller - or make one yourself.

Third:  "OK, I finally got a driver that "shows" as working properly."  - what do you mean by that? 

Fourth: Please answer all three of those questions. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:28:26 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 02:08:15 PM »

It's a SERIAL logger apparently (interfaced via a serial to USB adapter)!!!

It does not matter it needs to be in serial mode to run any other software other than WL which he will certainly want to try sooner or later.    I run my USB logger in the serial mode for all software including WL.   I don't know why Davis just not have everyone setup that way from the start.

Offline Daffypuck

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 02:45:39 PM »
 Thanks yall,
 Dalecoy, yes, I took out batteries and completely powered down the station prior to inserting logger. No, I don't think I was sent a loopback cable. Lastly, I kept getting errors and whatnot when Windows would install driver for the adaptor. I found some possible online solutions and tried one using a Vista driver. It seemed to work, but the odd thing is, in the device manager, it still shows the Prolific driver being installed and that it is working properly. I might need to try another adaptor.
 JohnD, it says (COM3) in the DM for that port.
 I ran the USB/serial app from the utility folder and nothing. It didn't detect any station. Im guessing it could be this adaptor. While I still keep trying yalls suggestions, Im gonna order another adaptor and see if it will work. I looked around an this is what I chose. Ill try one with an FTDI chipset instead of the Prolific.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N9TYW0/ref=s9_simh_co_p23_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=typ-top-left-1&pf_rd_r=00HYXAB99Z4VXD1Y2F3B&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1827489602&pf_rd_i=typ01
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:11:18 PM by Daffypuck »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »
It does not matter it needs to be in serial mode to run any other software other than WL which he will certainly want to try sooner or later.

IT'S A SERIAL LOGGER! (The utility you're referring to is only to switch modes for the USB logger - it's irrelevant to the present thread.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 03:51:30 PM »
If you have experience with soldering (or have a friend who will help), there's a schematic of a loopback plug about halfway down the page at http://airborn.com.au/serial/rs232.html

Regarding the driver - you could try uninstalling the Prolific driver, unplugging the adapter, rebooting, and then plugging the adapter back in.  Of course, YMMV.

Offline Daffypuck

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 04:07:12 PM »
Yeh, I tried that several times dalecoy prior to and after I finally got the port working. I should have the new adaptor by Wednesday. Hopefully it will work.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 04:48:15 PM »
Yeh, I tried that several times dalecoy prior to and after I finally got the port working. I should have the new adaptor by Wednesday. Hopefully it will work.

How will you know?  [It is quite possible that the logger is the problem].  I share your hope.

Offline Daffypuck

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »
It could be the logger. The individual I purchased it from did test it before sending to me.  If all else fails, I have an older PC that I was in the middle of reinstalling XP on and never if shed reinstalling all the drivers. It has two serial ports on it. If anything, I'll just use it as my science and research computer!:)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »
It could be the logger. The individual I purchased it from did test it before sending to me.  If all else fails, I have an older PC that I was in the middle of reinstalling XP on and never if shed reinstalling all the drivers. It has two serial ports on it. If anything, I'll just use it as my science and research computer!:)
If its a card with PCI interface you could just move it over.
Randy

Offline Daffypuck

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
Yeh, I thought of that, but I think it's part of the motherboard.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 08:11:28 PM »
I put one of these in but have since changed to USB data logger. http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-RS232-Serial-Adapter-PCI2S550/dp/B00006B8C0
Randy

Offline Daffypuck

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 08:53:08 PM »
Yeh, I might just try that route too.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:17:19 AM by Daffypuck »

anything