Author Topic: PWS Not Reporting  (Read 3484 times)

Offline W5CI

PWS Not Reporting
« on: March 15, 2018, 08:58:48 AM »
My Davis Vantage Vue running Cumulus has stopped reporting to Weather Underground.  It reports to Davis, i am Lost at what is causing this , thanks in advance for any suggestions

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: PWS Not Reporting
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 10:13:56 AM »
Unless there is a current issue at Weather Underground, which there have been quite a few of late, double check your settings in Cumulus making sure you have correct ID (caps are important and don't mistake I for 1), also use correct password (make sure no extra spaces before of after).

Can you see the regular "Updating Weather Underground" flash at the bottom of your Cumulus console?  This would indicate that Cumulus is making the attempt to FTP.

Turn on FTP logging in Cumulus settings and after a short while, wait for a couple of scheduled WU uploads, and then check the ftplog.txt file in Cumulus.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline W5CI

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
It has been working fine for several years and just stopped

Offline W5CI

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »
sorry, yes it is cumulus is updating every few seconds as I have rapid fire enabled

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 03:17:41 PM »
Possibly a WU thing.  You can still try the FTP logging and see what the response is.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline W5CI

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »
And how do I try the FTP logging data

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 02:35:29 PM »
And how do I try the FTP logging data

Do this:
Turn on FTP logging in Cumulus settings and after a short while, wait for a couple of scheduled WU uploads, and then check the ftplog.txt file in Cumulus.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline W5CI

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 12:12:53 PM »
OK thanks, I got the FTP logging turned on, Now how do I check the text file?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »
Go in to your C:\Cumulus\ folder and in Notepad++ open ftplog.txt.  Check if you can see anything regarding PWS upload or errors.

A reminder to untick the FTP Logging in Cumulus as the file would get quite large.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline W5CI

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 10:27:52 PM »
the only thing I could see was it isn't accepting my password, I reset password but still not working.  the console had been telling me for months that the transmitter battery was low but it kept working. I replaced battery in transmitter then I noticed that WU says PWS not reporting. everything is working it just isn't reporting. Its not an issue but It has worked for years and I would like for it to continue without replacing the entire Davis system.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 11:42:12 PM »
the only thing I could see was it isn't accepting my password
This would certainly be an issue!  Password is case sensitive and no spaces before and after.
Could you post a few lines of the FTPlog.txt where the password issue is shown.

Paul

Offline W5CI

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 09:51:06 AM »
the only thing I could see was it isn't accepting my password, I reset password but still not working.  the console had been telling me for months that the transmitter battery was low but it kept working. I replaced battery in transmitter then I noticed that WU says PWS not reporting. everything is working it just isn't reporting. Its not an issue but It has worked for years and I would like for it to continue without replacing the entire Davis system.

There must be more to this than I am getting.  I am not a computer geek. I cant find anything about ftplog.text files

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 04:23:37 PM »
Steve at sandaysoft.com/forum will be better at helping you,

but if you are sure you have the correct Weather Underground settings in Cumulus (station ID and password) you could try this in the Cumulus Configuration tab:
Debug Log
Select this to turn on debug logging. Entries are made to the log for debugging purposes. A file is created in the Cumulus program folder called "debug.log".  Entries are flushed to this file every five minutes, or when the program closes. Note that this setting is not related to the logging of weather data. Please do not turn this on unless requested, and do not leave it turned on once the required diagnostics have been obtained.

FTP Logging
Select this to turn on diagnostic ftp logging. Two files are created in the Cumulus program folder called "ftplog.txt" and "realtimeftplog.txt".
Open these files to see if anything is logged there regarding Weather Underground or Wunderground.

Good luck,
Paul

Offline W5CI

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »
Thanks Paul, I will try that but I am about ready to get another  brand Weather station and try something much simpler . what bothers me is that it worked well for years and just quit for no obvious reason.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »
My Davis Vantage Vue running Cumulus has stopped reporting to Weather Underground.  It reports to Davis, i am Lost at what is causing this , thanks in advance for any suggestions

Thanks Paul, I will try that but I am about ready to get another  brand Weather station and try something much simpler . what bothers me is that it worked well for years and just quit for no obvious reason.

Your Davis Vantage Vue obviously didn't quit - it's working fine. 

Cumulus software (which doesn't come from Davis) apparently "quit", for some reason that you can't figure out.  [I'm guessing, from the symptoms, that you may have the WU Station Name entered incorrectly, for some reason]

So, if you believe that the Cumulus software is at fault, and you can't fix it, try some other brand of software.   In fact, you have Davis WeatherLink.

But - a few small questions:

1.  You say "It reports to Davis" - what do you mean by that?  And where can we see that data?

2.  What is your WU station ID?  (As shown in your Cumulus software)

3.  What kind of Davis logger do you have?  Perhaps WeatherLinkIP?

4.  What kind of computer are you using, and how is it connected to the Internet?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 08:16:40 PM »
I am about ready to get another  brand Weather station and try something much simpler
Unless you're moving up to at least an RM Young, you'd be going downhill. Sacrificing your presumed good Vue because it doesn't post to WU is nuts.

Offline W5CI

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 09:24:19 PM »
I Found the problem finally.  Weather Underground requires a station Key instead of a Password. Once I found and entered the station key I am back on the air.  thanks, remember Google is your friend.  I don't know when they changed that but my station quit reporting almost 2 months ago after years of working properly.    thanks again for help