Author Topic: Old Radio Shack Sensors, what base station?  (Read 2278 times)

Offline azwx

Old Radio Shack Sensors, what base station?
« on: December 18, 2016, 12:15:32 PM »
I found some older RS sensors wired to a tree outside my house. One does Temperature and has a LCD readout and says 433 Mhz Cable Free on the front, it displays roughly correct temp if I install batteries, the other has no readout and says Thermo Hygro Sensor.

Would any current OS base station still work with those sensors? I see that OS has small bases RAR213HG and EMR211 on sale and there's a WMR968 used for $20 in town.

I already have a modest outdoor thermo on a window, but a second opinion from another spot might be handy, as would humidity if it can read down to 11% sometimes.

I've read on here that OS sort of sucks to deal with, so want something I can discard or cannibalise without losing a lot. I've also read about Davis on here, so if life gets more generous I'd rather invest in something good.

I can also just go wire those things back to the tree and forget about it. Not a big deal.

Offline azwx

Re: Old Radio Shack Sensors, what base station?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 12:49:41 PM »
There are some little faded tags, but unreadable. Cases are yellowed from years of AZ sun so the internals are probably also heat-calibrated a bit.

Thank you for your answer.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
Most likely an WX200 that Radio  which was an OS WMR918.

John

Offline azwx

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 05:01:13 PM »
Thanks John. I'm going to look around locally and if I come across an OS station at a thrift I might try it.

Meanwhile I saved a tree from being strangled with thin wire, if nothing else.

Offline eyecue

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
Don't forget the usual suspects for finding old gear...Ebay or craigslist, buyselltrade.com etc. I have several of those parts for the Oregon unit.  Working on mods for it. 
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.