Author Topic: Panorama Time Lapse Of January 11th Storm  (Read 695 times)

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
Panorama Time Lapse Of January 11th Storm
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »
Yesterday we had a pretty good "weather event".  Anybody that watched our Seahawks yesterday could see the impact on the game.  There are still thousands of folks without power.  We just got ours back in the last few minutes after being down for over 19 hours.  Meanwhile, I was able to keep my site running on generator.  I also have to ISP services.  I use Comcast until the power goes out, then I switch over to Centurylink.  Comcast has chosen to not provide service to their customers when the power goes out.... That's a rant for another post :evil: 

My cams were working through the whole storm.  When the wind is blowing as hard as it was yesterday, aligning the images is not easy.  I have a this page setup to align my images:  http://www.skunkbayweather.com/View.html.  Looking at it yesterday there were times when there was 10 seconds difference between images and a large cloud could be in both images because they were moving so fast.  So, this video is a bit jerky due to the high winds.  Our highest gust was 40mph, but all around us were reports of gusts in the 60's.

Thought I'd Share....And.... Dang.....The power just went out again.... :sad:

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Re: Panorama Time Lapse Of January 11th Storm
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 06:33:55 PM »
First off thank you for taking the time to post your video.

It was interesting to see two rainbows, one extending to the west (0:14) and the other to the east (1:09).
That was very nice.  My next observation was the disappearance of your flag (0:56).
I hope that was you taking precautions and not the wind taking your flag down sound!

Thanks again.

Randall

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 06:40:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Greg. Watching these are so totally awesome.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 07:38:44 PM »
Pretty cool Greg.

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:34:20 PM »
Randall,
The flagpole is the mast off the first boat that my Dad built in the 30's.  He passed away in 1980.  It is very special to me so when there is a possibility of a big gust with a heavy wet flag, I take the flag down.  Some day it will shatter in a gust, but all that means is that Mother Nature always wins.  I know my Dad would rather have me use it than have it hanging in the rafters of my shop.  That is where is was for almost 20 years.  It is a beautiful piece of perfectly straight old growth spruce.  He created it from the raw tree with a spoke shave and a LOT of sanding.  I honor it by keeping it in the weather, sharing images of it for others to enjoy and maintaining it with a full strip, sand and refinish every year.... well... almost every year.... :oops:

The rainbows were a bonus.  When the weather is a wild as it was on Saturday, sometimes the wind outruns the clouds.... Which creates a "hole" in the sky.  I am so thankful to have a webcam to capture these moments.  I am usually too busy to see it.  Plus, time lapse adds a whole different perspective.

Thank you all for your kind comments.  Hopefully we will have some more good ( as in "nasty" ) weather coming soon \:D/.

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 12:35:30 AM »
Greg,

What an incredible heritage to share with us visually, as well as the history.
Your father is honored in your pride and work.

Take care,

Randall