Author Topic: Losing Sensor Communication  (Read 5898 times)

Offline w1dfu

Losing Sensor Communication
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:49:25 AM »
I have a Oregon Scientific Model WMR100NA weather station that I just installed. All sensors have tested okay and for all intents and purpose it's up and running. The problem I'm having is that I frequently lose communications with at least one of the sensors and sometimes more.

The "fix" appears to  be taking a battery in and out of the desk unit and then all is well, but only for a brief period. Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
Re: Losing Sensor Communication
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:08:37 AM »
Hello from North Turner, Maine!
   My previous weather station was the same model that you are asking about, and I had identical issues to what you have explained here. Like you said taking the batteries out to get the console to do a hard reset always worked, but only for a short time. The only long term solution for me was to make sure the outdoor sensors are no more than 50 feet away from the indoor console. I know the station is supposed to work at up to 300 feet between the indoor console and the outdoor sensors, but trust me it never did for me!
   I know that in doing this though you run into the issue of probably not being able to put the sensors exactly where you want them. I was getting tired of having to do resets though, so I moved the sensors and this worked perfectly for me!
   I would try this first, but if it doesn't work then I would make sure that all the terminals inside the battery compartments of each outdoor sensor come into contact with the ends of the batteries like they are supposed to (pay very close attention to the temp/humidity sensor especially, as this is a known issue with the way they are manufactured). I had to bend the little metal wiring inside the battery compartment inward before I installed the batteries, just to get them to come in contact. Once I did this the communication problems seemed to go away.
   So its either a communication issue due to distance between the outdoor sensors and indoor console like I first mentioned, or its a power issue because the batteries are not coming into secure contact with the battery terminals inside each outdoor sensor. These were the two issues I fixed and everything generally worked well afterword.
   Sorry for the long response, but I hope some of what I said helps, if I haven't confused you too much!  ;)

- Matt
http://bearpondareaweather.webs.com/
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline w1dfu

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »
No confusion caused at all. I  moved the indoor console closer and all sensors seem to be holding Thank you!!

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »
No confusion caused at all. I  moved the indoor console closer and all sensors seem to be holding Thank you!!

No problem!! I also forgot to mention that making sure the indoor console is away from sources of interference, such as internet modems, phones, computers, and other electronics is important too. For some reason when the OS WMR100NA console is near other electronics, it has problems with signal strength as they interfere with its communication with the outdoor sensors. Just wanted to let you know to keep this in mind as well if you run into any other issues.

Glad I could help!  :-)

Happy weather watching and enjoy your new station! Once I got this issue figured out with it, the station served me very well for more than 5 years here in our harsh Maine environment!

- Matt
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline w1dfu

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 12:52:51 PM »
Still purring along beautifully! I'm wondering if their is an alternative to Virtual Weathers publishing software @ 80 bucks?

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »
Still purring along beautifully! I'm wondering if their is an alternative to Virtual Weathers publishing software @ 80 bucks?

Good to hear! There are a few other weather software publishers to get your data to the internet that I know of. I use the Virtual Weather Station software you are talking about, but I know there are others such as...

-Cumulus Weather Software (Free but donations are appreciated by the creator) http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus
-Weather Display Software (One of the most popular ones)  http://www.weather-display.com/index.php
- WeeWX (One I haven't heard much about but is free and maybe worth a try) http://www.weewx.com/

Also check out a page on this forum that is all about weather software.   http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=118.0

And there are many others too, but these as well as Virtual Weather Station are some of the more popular ones.

- Matt
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:25:34 PM by bilodeaumatthew »
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline w1dfu

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »
Once again thank you! I will no doubt go with Virtual Weather's, but may try Cumulus.

To think that just a few short hours ago I  was ready to bag it and throw in the towel, and now it's full speed ahead!

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 02:14:23 PM »
I'm glad to help! So many times i've come close to giving up, but have my questions answered by many of the helpful members on thus forum! I'm just glad to be able to return the favor!

Best of luck to you in getting it all up and running! Keep us informed! And don't hesitate to ask any other questions that arise and I will do my best to help!

-Matt
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline w1dfu

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 03:38:58 PM »
After trying the above suggestions the sensor communication had been holding flawlessly. However I now keep losing the wind sensor. A reset of the desk unit brings it back online, but only for a few minutes..

Suggestions?

Thank you

Offline Greencat

• KNYCICER5
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 07:41:28 PM »
The wind sensor is the weakest link in my WMR100 setup. Through trial and error I finally found a spot in my office for the base station where it works almost flawlessly. I have to cycle power now maybe once per month instead of every few days. The other sensors never drop out and I have them all mounted on the same mast. The base station definitely does not like to be any source of RF emissions like wi-fi (router, printer and computer), cordless phone, etc. I also did the antenna mod to base station which helped quite a bit.
WMR-100
WeatherSnoop2.2.6 TE
WU Station ID: KNYCICER5

Offline w1dfu

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 07:52:21 PM »
I added an additional length of USB cable and moved the base unit as far away as possible from everything  and it now seems to be holding. Next I need to figure out why I can't get my station to report to Wunderground.

Please tell me about the antenna mod!

Thank you!

Offline Greencat

• KNYCICER5
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 08:04:04 PM »
There are a few threads on a couple different ways to improve the antenna design. I used the simpler of them where the existing antenna is modified so it is outside the case and away from the rest of the components inside. Others have actually replaced it with and external antenna with good results. The simple way works OK for me. Here is one link: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=8697.0
WMR-100
WeatherSnoop2.2.6 TE
WU Station ID: KNYCICER5

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 08:06:34 PM »
The anemometer was my weakest sensor as well when I had that station. Same story here as well... I found a place in my room that received constant signal from all the sensors, and I only lost signal maybe once every few months. Still a pain, but a lot better than ever day or so!

I saw info about the antenna modification, and almost tried to do it myself, but ended up getting my Davis station instead (I wanted to get a new station anyway so I figured doing the mod wouldn't have been worth it) I hear that it really helps strengthen the reception from all the sensors though! I agree with Greencat that there are different ways of doing the mod, and the way suggested in the link provided sounds to be the best out of all of them.
Hope this helps if you do decide to try this out!

As for your connection to wunderground, just wondering if you did end up going with the virtual weather station software. If you did I can help you out as this is the software that I use to upload to wunderground. If not, then I can still try my best at helping you out, but can't make any promises!  ;)

- Matt
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline w1dfu

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 08:17:56 PM »
Thanks Greencat and thanks Matt. I did end up going with virtual weather station.....I've tried to follow my nose with the settings, but so far no joy..

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 08:33:56 PM »
Okay. Yes, Virtual Weather Station has relatively good directions at the top of the software page for your station under the "Wunderground" tab at the top for the weather underground set-up. The setup for a wunderground account and station must be done too. You actually have to have your wunderground station ID that is generated when you go to sign up a new station first before you can get all the settings correct in the VWS software when you are setting that up (I'm sure you already knew this and have probably done this, but just figured I'd check anyways!  ;)).

If this is done, let me know and I can see you along to the next step!

- Matt
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:35:35 PM by bilodeaumatthew »
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline w1dfu

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
I do have a weather station ID at Wunderground...

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 08:58:58 PM »
  Okay I figured you did. Again click on "Wunderground" at the top of the software page, then click Sign-up and Settings", and here make sure that your Station ID and then your password are correct and match what you have for your signup for the wunderground website. I made a typo error when I tried setting my station up, and I was having issues getting my station to upload data to wunderground and couldn't figure out why. That was my reason. Pretty simple error but it was preventing any data from being sent to the right location!
Then make sure all the small boxes are checked. For now try the rapid fire updating as well, by checking the Rapid Fire box and then setting your Rapid Fire Timer to 3.00 seconds.
  Let me know if any of this does anything for you. Again you probably have all this done already. Just narrowing down the possible issues!

- Matt
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:02:25 PM by bilodeaumatthew »
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 09:08:27 PM »
One key too is to make sure your software is receiving good data communication from your base station. Make sure that you see data updates happening on the station console as well as on the software screen on your computer, that way you know the communication between the two is working correctly. I had issues with this too where once I plugged my station into my computer using the USB cable, my station's signal to the outdoor sensors would get very weak and would drop the reception on some occasions. I would unplug it from the computer and it would immediately start receiving again!

This is a manufacturer's issue with the station as well. I was able to get it to finally work though by finding that 'sweet spot' in my room, and leaving the base station in that spot untouched.

- Matt
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline w1dfu

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 09:18:30 PM »
Settings redone and double checked..

Base station appears to be communicating to and updating to the computer screen fine..

When I click update shouldn't it grey out? or give me some sort of indication that it's uploading?

As it is now the update button remains clickable..

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 09:26:24 PM »
  Yes the update button remains clickable for me too, in other words it doesn't grey out. What do you see when you click on the little box that says 'View Your Observations? Is is a blank page that comes up, or is there a page with data that shows up?
  It should be a page with some lines of data that appear on a white page.

- Matt
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline w1dfu

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 09:31:29 PM »
it brings up a line of words  such as temp dew point but no numbers to indicate what my temp dew point etc. is

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 09:40:11 PM »
Try this... At the top of the virtual weather station software page, click on 'Settings', then click 'Database settings' from the drop-down menu, and make sure your Database Timer is set to 5 minutes.

After you do this, wait 5-10 minutes, and by then the database should have updated at least once to wunderground. You can check to see if it did by going back to that 'View Your Observations' page, and seeing if there is any data that appears there. If there is then you should be able to find your station on wunderground, and if not than there is something else a little more tricky to figure out that is hindering your data from being sent to or received by wunderground.

By the way what is your wunderground ID so I can search it to see if it comes up on my end? (Mine is KMETURNE6)

- Matt
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline w1dfu

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 09:47:03 PM »
KVAWALL13

I'll try that and then call it a night....I've got an early out in the morning so need top get some shut eye..

In any event thanks for your help and input...I'll let you know how it goes..

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 09:47:54 PM »
Sounds good! Thanks and best of luck!

- Matt
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55