Author Topic: Admin Monitoring For Multiple Weather Stations (TCP/IP Connection)  (Read 6756 times)

Offline dean.martin

I haven't yet seen this kind of software/web server monitoring to manage and monitor multiple weather stations so i created this topic.

We have 20 Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus weather stations with a TCP/IP data loggers and currently using the WeatherLink­ Software to manage individual weather stations (such as setting the time, data, Lat, Long, altitude, clearing archive data and etc.) remotely. But it is not so convenient to open/run all 18 WeatherLink software in multiple windows and assign it each weather station everyday right? Can you imagine it? Also, in data downloading, when it downloads, it only downloads one station at a time even if you set it to auto download and the downloaded data is only stored in the software data browser, you need to export it to have in txt format. It is so time consuming. I understand that the WeatherLink Software is good only for one weather station ( 1 User = 1 Station ). So i'm hoping for a solution on this.

We want to archive the data from our 20 weather stations directly to our database not to weatherlink.com server. But even if it does, it is okay as long as it sends the data also to our database without using the weatherlink sofware( manual exporting of data ).

We have this iView software that monitor/manage 160 vehicle that has GPS device on it that sends information (engine on/of,speed of travel and location in realtime) to our database/server. We want to have this kind of system to our weather stations because we're planing to buy more.

To summarize. We want to have a system like that on weather underground(Wundergroumd). Not exactly that big, Just a small system for our station management.

I hope anyone else could help.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:38:18 PM by dean.martin »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Admin Monitoring For Multiple Weather Stations (TCP/IP Connection)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 04:34:59 AM »
Well if you have IP loggers then presumably (unless you've turned off this feature) you are uploading data to the weatherlink.com network? So you could write some software (or commission some) to retrieve the data direct from this network using the web download API, provided you didn't try to hit the server too often.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:39:51 PM »
Yes Johnd, we're uploading data to the weatherlink.com network because we're using the weatherlink mobile app.
Write some software? yes, that's what I'm thinking because,if I'm not wrong, there are not yet available software like that. Do you know some person(a web and software developer maybe) that can be commissioned to? we're willing to pay as long as it is in a reasonable price and the software is reliable to use.

Regarding the web download API, I found out that the weather underground(Wunderground.com) offers a web download API. But we don't know how to use it. Our web developers in our company are busy doing other things for the company and don't have time to engage on this project.

I hope wxforum can help us to find the right people.

Thanks,
Dean

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 09:00:22 PM »
Check out Weather Element.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:23:37 PM »
Thank you Bushman, I'll take some time to read about WeatherElement regarding on what they can do. Again, Thanks.

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:49:43 PM »
Bushman, I think WeatherElement do not support IP/TCP data logger connections. That's a bad thing

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 08:44:55 PM »
has anyone tried using the Advanced TCP/IP Data Logger on Davis IP data logger?

http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-2970-advanced-tcp-ip-data-logger

I think this one will be so useful.

Anyone, Please advise. Thanks

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
That TCP logger looks neat.  But I was thinking that all your devices are not in the same place, right?  Get a Meteobrdige for each and use PUSH services to write to a giant MySQL database.  Report and graph to your heart's content after that!  I am sure for the number of devices you have you could  do a Meteobridge hub for about 50-60 bucks all in.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 11:08:44 PM »
That TCP logger looks neat.  But I was thinking that all your devices are not in the same place, right?  Get a Meteobrdige for each and use PUSH services to write to a giant MySQL database.  Report and graph to your heart's content after that!  I am sure for the number of devices you have you could  do a Meteobridge hub for about 50-60 bucks all in.

Yes, all our devices are not in the same place. More or less 40Km apart from each other and all of it is connected to our local network and we can communicate to it remotely. Does Meteobridge support TCP/IP data loggers? we really need to archive data from our devices to our database in *.xls format without any human intervention in exporting/downloading and uploading to the database because we are planning to buy more weather stations and we need to archive our data automatically. I think the advanced TCP/IP Data logger is capable of this but we do not know how to use it and I think no one have tried it yet to weather stations.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:14:18 PM by dean.martin »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 11:15:20 PM »
Gawd, stay away from Excel!  WIth 40 or 50 stations logging every 5, 10, whatever minutes you will soon have an unmanageable spreadsheet.  Like I said - use push services to populate an SQL database and report/graph from there. http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Templates  Or if you must, export  to Excel (ugh).  Example:  https://sites.google.com/site/robros/Home/mysql_weather_station  Do your own forecasting too! 

Another option is to contact Boris - the Meteobridge inventor (Docbee on the is forum).  He could probably do what you want since his cloud based service is what you are doing.

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 01:35:44 AM »
https://sites.google.com/site/robros/Home/mysql_weather_station

This is exactly what we need, this kind of system. Good advise. Thank you Bushman. I will try to contect Boris. Again, Thanks.