Author Topic: Using a Vue at remote sites  (Read 5292 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Using a Vue at remote sites
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:35:02 AM »
I had a feature of the Vue pointed out to me yesterday which increases its usefulness at remote sites. Maybe this is common knowledge, but I must admit that this feature had passed me by totally:

On powering up the Vue console, the display stops at the 'Enter Time' screen and not the 'Receiving From'  screen of the VP2 consoles.

Then, apparently, if there is no user input for 10 minutes, the console will automatically reboot fully and enter the standard Current Weather display.

So, like the Envoy but unlike the VP2 standard console, the Vue IS able to reboot fully after repowering - it just takes a bit longer to get there. Consequently the Vue is more useful than I had recognised for installation at unattended sites where there's any danger of the electrical power supply dropping out.

I can't see this feature documented anywhere in the console manual, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Or conceivably it was introduced  in a firmware update but thought too insignificant to be worth mentioning in the text that describes the update (as happens sometimes for minor feature changes)?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
Re: Using a Vue at remote sites
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 05:10:53 AM »
Question? Why use any form of console at remote sites over and above an Envoy?

But then even with an Envoy that last thing one wants is it to shut down as it will simply not start up in the real world. The critical part of any Davis remote site is to not let the logger go into a no power state.   

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Using a Vue at remote sites
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 06:01:36 AM »
Question? Why use any form of console at remote sites over and above an Envoy?

Mainly because it's really quite convenient on occasions to have a real-time LCD readout as confirmation that the sensors are performing as expected. Also, if you need to tweak any of the settings, such as updating the time, then this can be simpler to do via the console buttons. The only other option (with an Envoy) is to connect up a a laptop (which you obviously have to have remembered to bring with you to the remote site) and, if you're using a WLIP logger, then there's more inconvenient messing about while you establish connectivity to the WLIP.

Thee are also some minor cost considerations, but the key point for me is that having an LCD display and buttons makes it easy to double-check readings and to make adjustments if necessary and without disturbing the logging set-up

But then even with an Envoy that last thing one wants is it to shut down as it will simply not start up in the real world. The critical part of any Davis remote site is to not let the logger go into a no power state.   

Yes I completely agree. But in the real world it's not always possible to achieve this, at least not without serious over-engineering of the (eg solar) power supply and perhaps spending 2-4 times as much on the PSU as would otherwise be necessary. I understand the clock issue, but if you're using say a WLIP at the remote site, at least real-time readings will come back online automatically.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything