Author Topic: Weatherlink IP and indoor conditions  (Read 5415 times)

Offline kanewolf

• Weather at Chez Baron
Weatherlink IP and indoor conditions
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:19:45 AM »
I have a friend with a vacation home.  If I recommend a davis with weatherlink IP for simplicity, will he be able to see the indoor conditions?  Indoor conditions are more important for an unoccupied residence than outdoor.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: Weatherlink IP and indoor conditions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 10:35:49 AM »
I'm using WLIP.  Look at my summary page.
http://www.weatherlink.com/user/wxtech/index.php?view=summary&headers=0
Indoor conditions are shown.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline kanewolf

• Weather at Chez Baron
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:01:40 PM »
Good to know.  I will feel more confident in recommending it.  This way only the communications gear is the critical link. The fewer moving parts the better.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:55:27 PM »
Keep in mind that the WLIP will raise the apparent indoor temperature by a few degrees, and lower the indoor humidity. It creates some heat that warms the console.

Offline kanewolf

• Weather at Chez Baron
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 11:10:59 PM »
But when the issue with an unoccupied residence is flooding or freezing, a degree or two doesn't really matter. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 11:15:54 PM »
I'd recommend  a Sensaphone unit over a WLIP.  Or if there is broadband, use a Wecontrol box.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 05:56:32 AM »
Keep in mind that the WLIP will raise the apparent indoor temperature by a few degrees, and lower the indoor humidity. It creates some heat that warms the console.

Does it create that much heat? Raise the internal temp by a few degrees?

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 07:14:52 AM »
I did an experiment many years ago with the VP.  I recorded the indoor temp with the backlight on and off.  I don't remember the numbers but the temperature change was barely noticeable because my room temperature fluctuates a few degrees anyway. 
The VP had 4 LEDS, one on each corner of the display panel.  The VP2 uses a display with an internal backlight, not discrete LEDS.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »
Similar in that I have never noticed any apparent temp change that could be attributed to the WLIP even in a confined enclosure let alone lowering indoor humidity ???. In an enclosure there is no affect from a straight modem but most routers run a little warm, WLIP always stone cold.   

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »
What I'm talking about is on the original VP, the 4 LEDS used for display backlighting in the console caused the indoor temperature sensor on the console circuit board to heat slightly.  This caused the console to read a degree or so higher than the actual room temperature.  The console didn't get warm or cause room temperature to change.

anything