Author Topic: Anemometer Kit 6332 v VUE ISS  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
Anemometer Kit 6332 v VUE ISS
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:39:22 PM »
This is a pickup on a comment from the Davis weather page re using a VUE ISS as an anemometer only.

Wonder what the longevity is of using a VUE ISS as an anemometer only (in a remote setup) compared to a 6322 anemometer transmitter kit & VP2 anemometer?

Thoughts?

- VUE ISS is an all in one enclosure requiring no cabling
- VUE ISS could also be switched in a remote setup as a backup ISS for temp/hum/rain etc or used as a separate ISS to secondary loggers
- Cost is not all that much different/extra

- One downside of the VUE ISS (I see in any case) is no external power input
and doesn't have any historical maintenance availability/reliability (as yet)   

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Anemometer Kit 6332 v VUE ISS
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 03:28:54 AM »
Wonder what the longevity is of using a VUE ISS as an anemometer only (in a remote setup) compared to a 6322 anemometer transmitter kit & VP2 anemometer?

No real reason a priori to think that they would be any different. Obviously the Vue has only been around for 18 months or so and so we don't have any hard data on long-term performance in the field. But the few instances I've seen of premature wind speed failure in VP2 vs Vue in the first 18 months of use are pretty much similar in incidence.

To your list of pros and cons I would add:

Pro VP2: The anemometer can be mounted separately/higher than the 6332 so battery change will typically be easier on the VP2 (especially for anyone lucky enough to use a 10m mast in order to measure 'real' wind speeds).

Pro Vue: If the speed (reed) switch does start to go faulty then with the VP2 you typically need a new anemometer whereas with the Vue it's a simple and relatively inexpensive ($60) PCBA board change (that also actually gives you a new T/H sensor, though that won't be relevant in this example).

NB Whether the Hall Effect wind direction sensor in the Vue gives better longevity and better through-life accuracy obviously remains to be seen, but it's a possibility.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:40:30 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
Re: Anemometer Kit 6332 v VUE ISS
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:18:03 AM »
Yes will be interesting to look back on VUE in 10 years time. Would be also interesting to hear about VP2 anemometer longevity. The best I have todate is a WMII style anemometer now running for 7 years in high range wind environment but they do require some mods do ensure reliability, especially wind direction.