Author Topic: Remote v Backyard  (Read 13293 times)

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
Re: Remote v Backyard
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 11:27:52 PM »
Like I said I don't use them, never said I have never used them, just gave them away a long time ago. Probably got one in the cupboard in original packaging, what would it be? about 10 year old, maybe more?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 12:17:09 AM »
I'll give you 10 bucks for it.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 01:12:30 AM »

Worth that much hey  ;)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 05:54:31 AM »
Maybe it would be more simplistic to run a second Envoy and serial logger to ensure on going data integrity which on backup battery can be made to run for months even if it means runing with a longer archive interval to achieve this?

Actually that's exactly what I've been doing at one site to try to cover midwinter power outages. It is an unattended field site where access is sometimes difficult (because of very muddy/boggy ground in this instance, in fact) but not so remote that - weather permitting - it can't be visited every 2-3 weeks for a manual download if absolutely necessary. So I run this with a 15 minute AI. Obviously if I felt that I needed to stretch this to say 6 weeks then I could use a 30min AI - as suggested - and so maintain some level of backup data continuity. For this sort of occasional, manual download, the USB logger is fine. But of course any live data feed is lost.

I'm coming round to the point of view that if you can only afford a limited solar/wind PSU then the Vantage Connect type of system is probably the best option. I don't necessarily mean using the VC itself but a similar principle where, other than the console/serial logger itself, then the system sleeps for most of the time and just wakes a cellular modem every 5/15/60/whatever minutes to transmit a block of data and then returns to sleep. Although you lose literally-live data with this sort of configuration, 5/15/60 minutes updates are still sufficient for many 'live'** purposes and the power consumption by VC-type systems is as low as you're ever going to get - it should be compatible with even relatively modest solar PSU's (bearing in mind that the VC is powered by a 2.5W panel, though I have my doubts as to whether this is quite enough).

(** There's a whole discussion here about what we might mean by live data - ie is it literally every 2-3 sec updates or would every 5 minutes qualify?)

Finally, as Flag mentioned, another tactic to assure data continuity is to ensure that the logger keeps logging as long as possible even if a power shortage threatens other components of the system. This is actually what I do with an IP logger which is fed from a separately switch 12v supply that only drops out after everything else (eg cellular modem) has dropped out. So the last 10-20% of available battery capacity is used solely to keep the logger running. So I should amend my rules to:

[1] Try, as far as is practicable and affordable, to reduce the chances of a power outage to an absolute minimum;

[2] Feed the console/logger from a separate DC supply such that it is the last component of the data infrastructure left standing before the power finally drops out.

[3] Use a data architecture that does allow automatic rebooting (albeit with some data loss) should a power outage happen in practice.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 06:53:30 PM »
All this raises a specific issue of how to make the most out of the Davis battery backup so have started a specific thread.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »

Worth that much hey  ;)
Sure - then I will hack it to add an SD card.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything