Author Topic: 1and1 Server problems --- lost server air conditioning...  (Read 2349 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
1and1 Server problems --- lost server air conditioning...
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:50:37 PM »
Just discovered that my carsonvalleyweather.com site has been down for several hours today (and still is). I've been on the road for most of the day today and just now realized I had a problem with the site. At first I thought it was the old issue of my IP being blocked due to too many connections. However, I have now been told that they are having a major problem with one of their server farms due to overheating caused by a failure of the air-conditioning system. A call has been made to the HVAC support but they have no idea of when the problem will be resolved.

It's just too bad that 1and1 can't automatically notify their customers when they have an outage like this. They certainly have to know who is impacted and our email addresses are part of our profiles with them. I have close to 20 different domains registered with them and my wx site is the only one that is impacted - thankfully.

Is anyone else having any problems with 1and1? I have had accounts with them since 2008 and really can't complain except when you do have a problem it is very difficult to get to the right level of support to get it fixed. They seem to have fixed dialogue they have to go through regardless of what you tell them about the problem. Although in this case the gal I spoke with told me what had happened within a minute of my telling what my symptoms were. My guess is that this must be impacting a lot of users for her to have known about the problem.

Does anyone know if 1and1 has an link that will tell you the status of their various servers around the world?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:06:29 AM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: 1and1 Server problems --- lost server air conditioning...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 12:05:40 AM »
This is not looking good - now several more of my sites are not available...  :sad:

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 12:15:21 AM »
And, it seems to be impacting mine as well .. saratoga-weather.org is not responding (or responding with a 500-Server Error).

Sigh.. calling 1and1 now :(
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:35:46 AM »
1and1 tech support (1st level) was polite, but uninformative.

"Yes, there's a problem with your server, and the admins are working on it"

ETA for repair?  "unknown, but they're working on it"
Cause?  "they haven't said"
I hear it may be a HVAC failure in a datacenter.  Is that the case? "our supervisor had told us that was happening"
It would have been helpful to say that at the beginning of the conversation.

Sigh.. would be nice to have their 1st level TS folks venture just a bit beyond the scripted Q/A, and for them to have detailed knowledge of what's happening to pass along to the customers.

So.. in addition to saratoga-weather.org, the Mid-Atlantic, Plains, and Northwest Regional nets are also down at this time.

Waiting for 'admin magic' to complete their incantations and restore service.
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 12:54:39 AM »
Well, the incantations seem to have worked.  All my sites are back online :)

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 09:23:37 PM »
My old host "StartLogic" told me one time during an outage that coffee was spilled on the keyboard and needed to be shut down until replacement. Umm, think of something else, don't tell me that! Anyway, after the spill, it seemed like they could never keep my site stable so I packed my bags.  :lol:

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 10:00:54 PM »
Not sure how they handle outages, backups and loss of data, but this has to do with a multi-week outage for dslreports.com:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kll86bDn_MgWoo6Ja7oHo_yvI0SCqggEvNWwPWIcrHY/edit?pli=1

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:11:48 AM »
Not sure how they handle outages, backups and loss of data, but this has to do with a multi-week outage for dslreports.com:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kll86bDn_MgWoo6Ja7oHo_yvI0SCqggEvNWwPWIcrHY/edit?pli=1

That was a nasty outage.  I'm a regular visitor there, and missed it while he was down.  To their credit though, they took the time to do the restorations properly, and I can't see anything that's missing after it.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

anything