Author Topic: Heathkit ID-4001, ID-5001, etc.  (Read 7852 times)

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Heathkit ID-4001, ID-5001, etc.
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »
I just recently purchased a 21 year old Heathkit ID-4001 from a gentleman in Los Angeles, CA. I got it at what I consider a really good price. I always enjoy seeing photos of everyones weather station set up indoors and out. So I'm posting a photo of the outdoor cups and vane as well as the indoor unit. It'd be cool (in my opinion anyways) to see all of your Heathkits in operation, no matter the model. So I'll start it off by posting the two photos.

Offline vaughanweather

• Vaughan Weather
Re: Heathkit ID-4001, ID-5001, etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:53:57 PM »
Does this kit include the serial connector or was that introduced later?

Is there anyway to connect it to a computer?

Whatever the case, it looks like it's in great condition.

Tom

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:21:56 PM »
I love Heath Kits.. too bad they went out of business, I think today they might be able to make it.

In college I built a short wave radio,but I knew guys who did their own CB and transmitters.  One of the things we did back then was something to occupy our minds , to take a break from studying.

Sometimes we were up to no good, we'd go by someone we wanted to really irritate and put in an extra resistor or capacitator and watch them go nuts trying to figure out where they were supposed to go. Sometimes it would be a week's worth of entertainment before someone suggested maybe they were extra pieces.  HEH, HEH.  and sometimes they figured it out an got even.

Offline Lord Volvo

• Heathkit Weather Instruments Facebook Fan Page
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 02:54:54 PM »
How is your Heathkit treating you?  I've had my 4001 since 1987 and it has been wonderfully reliable.  The only issues I've had are with the wind sensors LEDs getting funky and sending strange readings to the display.  They need to be replaced every so often.  There's a vendor that sells LEDs and other components for the sensors.

I installed D8aPro's CPU upgrade a few years ago so I can send data to WxUnderground and other online data sites. 

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:46:09 PM »
How is your Heathkit treating you?  I've had my 4001 since 1987 and it has been wonderfully reliable.  The only issues I've had are with the wind sensors LEDs getting funky and sending strange readings to the display.  They need to be replaced every so often.  There's a vendor that sells LEDs and other components for the sensors.

I installed D8aPro's CPU upgrade a few years ago so I can send data to WxUnderground and other online data sites. 

Hello Lord Volvo... Kettering, Ohio!!?? I'm on the other side of Ohio just north of I-70 near Cambridge!! Heck, it'd be cool to pay you a visit sometime!!!

The only thing I have noticed, and maybe you have too, is that after that storm moved through just after Christmas with the freezing rain and sleet, the anemometer like freezes up not far under 32 degrees, but it 'thaws' during the day and spins again. I'm suspect that the bearings need replaced in it to begin with, but the previously mention activity seems a bit odd. Your thoughts?

As far as I can tell it doesn't have the serial port to send info to the web, I wish it did!! Anyhow, get back to me on that possible visit! Would love to check out your station(s) sometime! Thanks!!

Don in Cambridge, Ohio

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »

As a former ID-4001 owner and current ID-5001 owner, I would caution you about LED replacement on the sensor boards.  Heath learned a valuable lesson between the time they created the 4001 and 5001.  The 4001 assembly instructions said to bend the prongs on the LED's during assembly/replacement in order to hold them in place prior to soldering.  The 5001 assembly instructions cautioned against bending the LED prongs because this might lead to premature failure.  In my experience LED's installed by bending the LED prongs had a much shorter lifetime than those assembled without doing so.  I experienced many LED failures with my 4001, and have never had an LED failure with my 5001. 
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 07:44:19 PM »

As a former ID-4001 owner and current ID-5001 owner, I would caution you about LED replacement on the sensor boards.  Heath learned a valuable lesson between the time they created the 4001 and 5001.  The 4001 assembly instructions said to bend the prongs on the LED's during assembly/replacement in order to hold them in place prior to soldering.  The 5001 assembly instructions cautioned against bending the LED prongs because this might lead to premature failure.  In my experience LED's installed by bending the LED prongs had a much shorter lifetime than those assembled without doing so.  I experienced many LED failures with my 4001, and have never had an LED failure with my 5001. 

Hi gwwilk...

Any chance of posting a few photos of your 5001 in action? Video would be even cooler. I know of some videos (including my own) of the 4001 in action but have never located any of the 5001. Thank you for your consideration!

Offline WDoug

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 07:45:45 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures of my Heathkit ID-4001.   Can't believe this unit still functions after all these years.   One problem I have is that the barometer tends to stray after a few weeks.   Not sure what's causing it.   After a couple of weeks, readings are off by .04 inches.

The wind cups were destroyed in a freak Phoenix hail storm a few years back.  But, I was able to
jury rig some new cups that are made for a Davis station.   The cups are a little smaller, but they still
seem to give me some pretty accurate reading.    I also replace the bearings while I had the wind sensors apart and re-soldered all the connections.   Now, the cups start moving at the slightest breeze.  They are more sensative than the wind sensor on my LaCrosse station.   I really like the wired sensors as I get instant wind readings, unlike having to wait for the wireless sensors to update.

Please excuse the quality of the pictures.   I'm horrible at photography.

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 12:14:18 PM »
One problem I have is that the barometer tends to stray after a few weeks.   Not sure what's causing it.   After a couple of weeks, readings are off by .04 inches.

Perfectly normal. The pressure sensor was not that good. Spec was +/- .075 inHg.
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 08:38:10 PM »
One problem I have is that the barometer tends to stray after a few weeks.   Not sure what's causing it.   After a couple of weeks, readings are off by .04 inches.

Perfectly normal. The pressure sensor was not that good. Spec was +/- .075 inHg.

kcidwx is correct. Mine is the same way. Being that close I have no issues with it, especially when my unit is about 22 years old.

Don in Ohio

Offline rookie1973

• Love weather!
    • Ambient Weather WS-1080 PWS
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »
Hi
The original 4001 had the capability to implement an RS232 port but it was not reliable since the processor might be in the middle of sending data on the RS232 port and get interrupted for something else and never come back to the port for a while. The manual shows the wiring to add the RS232 port.
D8apros processor upgrade fixes that problem, now you can wire a DB9 to his board instead of a DB25.
I have a cheap wireless weather station, WS1080, for reporting to the internet and leave my 4001 for instant readings in the living room.

Bearings for the 4001/5001 booms can be found on VBX.com

As stated on another post the IR diodes and transistors are prone to lightning EMP pulses. If your getting strange readings suspect the IR components.
There are easy ways to test if it's a console problem or a boom problem.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Hello Lord Volvo... Kettering, Ohio!!?? I'm on the other side of Ohio just north of I-70 near Cambridge!! Heck, it'd be cool to pay you a visit sometime!!!

The only thing I have noticed, and maybe you have too, is that after that storm moved through just after Christmas with the freezing rain and sleet, the anemometer like freezes up not far under 32 degrees, but it 'thaws' during the day and spins again. I'm suspect that the bearings need replaced in it to begin with, but the previously mention activity seems a bit odd. Your thoughts?

As far as I can tell it doesn't have the serial port to send info to the web, I wish it did!! Anyhow, get back to me on that possible visit! Would love to check out your station(s) sometime! Thanks!!

Don in Cambridge, Ohio
Thanks
Steve