Author Topic: All Wunder PWSs showing 0 0 Lat Long and strange graphs  (Read 2324 times)

Offline annetoal

All Wunder PWSs showing 0 0 Lat Long and strange graphs
« on: January 08, 2017, 08:26:02 AM »
This morning it appears that all PWSs have a location of 0.000 0.000 and strange looking daily graph. They all have the warning symbol with the message that this PWS is not reporting. The main Wunder weather page appears to be receiving current conditions but the history graphs are messed up. On a related note, everyone is still showing one visit since January 1.

Anne
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:28:05 AM by annetoal »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: All Wunder PWSs showing 0 0 Lat Long and strange graphs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 08:47:53 AM »
Getting the same thing. This site is a disaster.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:06:59 AM »
I cannot send or connect to ftp.wu  etc.
it is all them, not you.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 09:07:23 AM »
LOL, this site keeps on amazing me, I wouldnt believe what can all go wrong...

This time it looks more serious because it really is not getting data from any station, which means my guess is even once they fix it, this wont be there, it is not acceepting it and there will be a gap. Previously it was the case the data was in the XML, just not showing up on the page. Now it shows the graphs, but they end about 2 hours ago, my station is of course fine.

As always, Im so glad I have my data saved on my server....

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 09:08:52 AM »
I have decided to NEVER worry about WU issues again. It is not worth it. As long as my site works, I am good.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 09:10:35 AM »
Now see, I immediately jumped to the conclusion it was me.  Fiddled with the antenna on my IP-100.  Then I checked my other station, then I checked here.  I wonder how long it will take them to fix this on a frosty weekend?

Offline annetoal

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
It looks like it's just the PWS history page that's broken because they're still showing PWS data on the forecast page. And a quick check of http://stationdata.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/stationlookup?station=XXXXXXXXX shows they are receiving all data from the PWS.

I'm disappointed because today was my one year anniversary of putting up my first PWS: KTXEDINB9. I was going to brag all over Facebook about it but now there's precious little to boast about   :-(

Anne
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:16:21 AM by annetoal »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »
Here is the problem though:

People often argue they dont care it is not up 100% of the time. Their argument is that if it works even say 95% of the time, it is still nice because it is free and it shows their data.

Just dont forget about one thing....

If things like this happen (which they do), then keep in mind the site is showing your data, but it is biased and not accurate. Many of you worry about every tenth of a degree and accuracy, but dont forget that all the long-term averages, records etc. are useless if there are gaps...

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 09:13:26 AM »
This is what I see for the raw data XML from my station

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 09:15:45 AM »

People often argue they dont care it is not up 100% of the time. Their argument is that if it works even say 95% of the time, it is still nice because it is free and it shows their data.

If things like this happen (which they do), then keep in mind the site is showing your data, but it is biased and not accurate. Many of you worry about every tenth of a degree and accuracy, but dont forget that all the long-term averages, records etc. are useless if there are gaps...

All true Jachym, that is why many of us report with our relatively fool proof analog Cocorahs gauages and tend to trust them the most.  I like WU because it gives me a nice quick graphic view of my data (usually).  I don't believe there are any government or scientific weather agencies basing real research on WU.

Offline annetoal

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 09:23:25 AM »
Appears to be getting fixed. I see most Dallas stations are back and mine in South Texas is back.

Anne

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 09:34:12 AM »

All true Jachym, that is why many of us report with our relatively fool proof analog Cocorahs gauages and tend to trust them the most.  I like WU because it gives me a nice quick graphic view of my data (usually).  I don't believe there are any government or scientific weather agencies basing real research on WU.

Yes, but people who dont have their own site then look at the long-term data as well, they might be interested in what the average T was, how cold a particular day was, view graphs etc. And if there are gaps, which is particularly dangerous when only looking at the stats, not the graphs, because then you cannot tell, then these numbers are pretty much useless, even if you have Davis Pro 2 with 24h FARS, very well sited and maintained. Your data is less accurate then someone´s who for example has their own site and uses a poorly sited NetAtmo.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 09:50:19 AM »
And if there are gaps, which is particularly dangerous when only looking at the stats, not the graphs, because then you cannot tell, then these numbers are pretty much useless, even if you have Davis Pro 2 with 24h FARS, very well sited and maintained. Your data is less accurate then someone´s who for example has their own site and uses a poorly sited NetAtmo.

I respectfully disagree with this.  I think a poorly sited, questionable quality weather station faithfully spewing bad data day in and day out is far worse than the occasional interruption of valid data from WU.  Again, I wouldn't use either for scientific research.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »
OK, yes you are probably right, they are equally useless :D

In terms of averages, the gaps might not be so bad, but in terms of records, it could produce totally different numbers. And even in the averages you would notice it, so there would be no point in worrying about +/-0.1 degree if a 2 hour gap can produce a major deviation.

oh and dont forget one thing!

To make things worse.... WU in particular is just awful in that it calculates the averages not as a sum divided by count, but as a middle value between min and max!
This means that even a small gap can totally change the average if the min or max just happened to be in that gap interval! This way of calculating the avg by WU is from a mathematical perspective total misunderstanding of statistics.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »
mine is back with all data
whoopie

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 10:07:12 AM »
Double check it, mine is back too, but if you look at the graph, the line seems continuous, but there is a 2h gap... they simply connected two points two hours away from each other with a straight line...

Offline azkiwi

• Senior Contributor
    • Maricopa, Sonoran Desert, Arizona
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 12:39:58 PM »
I no longer send data to WU, after well over a decade. 
My station, sited per CWOP standards, including double Stevenson shields is usually dropped as the outlier. Many  new stations have appeared in our town over the last 12 - 18 months; few, if any are accurate. None appear to be well sited nor shielded - I can tell when the sun rises as many of the stations will show a 6F or so rise in temp which corresponds to the sun directly warming them.  Several I've physically located are facing E /SE, under an eve, with no shielding whatsoever. 

My reporting station is one of 3 I have. All 3, various places in the yard, track within 1-1.5F, 2F for dewpoint so I know my data is valid.  Plus I loaned a station to a regional airport and over a period of 6 days, 5 recording they tracked closely,  a +/- of less than 2F, 2F dewpoint.  I'm good.

WU Support is useless " get your station certified" is the echo.. Well , next best thing dear, I've run in parallel for a week with an airport certified station and track it closely.  "get your station certified" was the one line response.

So now I upload to WU once a month, keeps my ID active, and I no longer worry nor look at neighborhood abberative stations.

Ken

Offline Eccomi09

• Wunderground Sticker
  • Nothing to see here... except my PWS.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 02:55:07 AM »
OK, yes you are probably right, they are equally useless :D

In terms of averages, the gaps might not be so bad, but in terms of records, it could produce totally different numbers. And even in the averages you would notice it, so there would be no point in worrying about +/-0.1 degree if a 2 hour gap can produce a major deviation.

oh and dont forget one thing!

To make things worse.... WU in particular is just awful in that it calculates the averages not as a sum divided by count, but as a middle value between min and max!
This means that even a small gap can totally change the average if the min or max just happened to be in that gap interval! This way of calculating the avg by WU is from a mathematical perspective total misunderstanding of statistics.

That is a ridiculous way of measuring averages!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything