Author Topic: The Acurite Atlas  (Read 19103 times)

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
The Acurite Atlas
« on: December 26, 2017, 02:49:21 PM »
So the rumors are not rumors...the Atlas is real and it's coming.  Just have faith that when you purchase your new weather station, you will be getting a truly top notch piece of equipment that rivals the best out there. 

It's been working flawlessly here in southeast Louisiana.  The optional lightning detector has been extremely accurate, and the rain gauge has been dead on with my Cocorahs gauge.  I have to say, Acurite has manufactured and outstanding piece of hardware.  It's a major step up from the 5 in 1.

You'll start to see more and more posts and pictures of the Atlas now.

Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline daman

• Forecaster
Re: The Acurite Atlas
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 04:47:27 PM »
Rub it in  :-)
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 04:48:55 PM »
LOL...just helping show that the thing does exist :)
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »
I know  \:D/ 
KMIBADAX38

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 05:40:51 PM »
Glad to see some real world feedback on this elusive product. I just wish it was about the Elite. Is that still another year away?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 05:42:25 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »
Here's a pic of my Nebraska Atlas.  I have another running in Texas.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I'm on the road heading back to Texas where it is hopefully warmer (it was 2 degrees in Nebraska this morning).  I thought I had more pictures on my phone, but apparently I don't.  However, here's a picture of the Atlas battery compartment some may find interesting.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The red LED in the upper left blinks when transmitting.  There's an optical guide that allows the blinking to be seen when the battery compartment cover is in place.

Below the LED is a button that is used to re-define "North" for the wind vane.  I imagine this will be most helpful for those in the southern hemisphere, but I guess it would be useful if you have to mount the unit off-North for some reason.

Below the button is classic A/B/C slider switch we've all come to love.

Below the slider switch, and harder to see because it is on a vertical surface, is the DC power jack.  You can run the Atlas from an AC adapter if you want.  Acurite has an AC adapter ready, and it comes with a nice length of cable.

On the right you'll find the optional lightning sensor module.  It just snaps in with no tools necessary.  You can add the lightning sensor at any time.

Offline drew

• Shoals Weather
The Acurite Atlas
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »
How accurate is the lightning detector in Nebraska? I have the HD display now with my 5in1 and while it does a decent job, it misses out on some strikes that are nearby.
-Drew Richards

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 11:57:19 PM »
How accurate is the lightning detector in Nebraska? I have the HD display now with my 5in1 and while it does a decent job, it misses out on some strikes that are nearby.

I've no idea on that.  There simply hasn't been any lightning at the Nebraska location since I set it up.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 12:16:18 AM »
I don't see a rubber seal for the battery compartment?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 01:27:11 AM »
I don't see a rubber seal for the battery compartment?

I don't recall there being one.  If there is water intrusion, you'd want it to drain.  A seal would let water pool which would be worse.

The battery compartment is on the bottom of the unit like it is on the 5n1.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:30:52 AM by nincehelser »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 03:20:15 AM »
but no seal will also mean letting in marine air if you live near the ocean, which will corrode things, I would have thought

a good seal and you won't get water intrusion to drain?

both of my 5 in 1's , in a marine environment, the wind direction seized up and the cups bearing got stiff
so I hope they are using better grade bearings etc now?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 04:47:32 AM »
but no seal will also mean letting in marine air if you live near the ocean, which will corrode things, I would have thought

a good seal and you won't get water intrusion to drain?

both of my 5 in 1's , in a marine environment, the wind direction seized up and the cups bearing got stiff
so I hope they are using better grade bearings etc now?

If you're asking if it is "marine grade", I don't know.

The 5n1 battery compartment isn't sealed, either.  Did it cause you problems in your marine environment?

There's no point sealing the bottom if the rest of the chassis isn't sealed, too.  It would just be a water trap for any moisture that might get in.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 06:00:34 AM »
So the rumors are not rumors...the Atlas is real and it's coming.  Just have faith that when you purchase your new weather station, you will be getting a truly top notch piece of equipment that rivals the best out there. 

It's been working flawlessly here in southeast Louisiana.  The optional lightning detector has been extremely accurate, and the rain gauge has been dead on with my Cocorahs gauge.  I have to say, Acurite has manufactured and outstanding piece of hardware.  It's a major step up from the 5 in 1.

You'll start to see more and more posts and pictures of the Atlas now.

Cool! How about temp accuracy and comparisons?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 10:02:09 AM »
George how about the aspiration fan is it a more robust/ functioning design vs. the 5n1??,,still driven solely off the solar cells?
KMIBADAX38

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 10:56:33 AM »
Does this break in NDA mean that the product is shipping (too late for Christmas)?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 11:54:46 AM »
George how about the aspiration fan is it a more robust/ functioning design vs. the 5n1??,,still driven solely off the solar cells?

The fan is driven by 3 solar panels aligned east, south, and west.

It's a very quiet fan, so I don't think it's running crazy fast, but the temps have been nicely consistent with surrounding stations.

One thing I keep meaning to check, but still haven't, is if using the DC jack powers the fan at all.  It would be nice if it did.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 12:06:15 PM »

The fan is driven by 3 solar panels aligned east, south, and west.

It's a very quiet fan, so I don't think it's running crazy fast, but the temps have been nicely consistent with surrounding stations.

One thing I keep meaning to check, but still haven't, is if using the DC jack powers the fan at all. It would be nice if it did.
Good to hear, sounds like the panels should stay with the sun then  =D>

Can you check this and report back?

Another thing, a concern is WHY did they make the top half black, is radiant heat going to be a issue?? .
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 12:10:49 PM by daman »
KMIBADAX38

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 01:15:11 PM »
WHY did they make the top half black,
maybe to melt any snow?
and yes to the question did no seal cause an issue...eventually you get corrision on the battery terminals
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:17:51 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »
Appreciate the pics and updates everyone! Saw some info trickle out on the Acurite FB group last night. Really nice to see some first hand experience and pictures.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 10:39:29 AM »
Is this the fabled "Atlas" from last spring?   I got bored with weather stations waiting and moved on to Solar systems.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »

I've had two different lightning storms since the Atlas was installed at my place, and it picked up strikes over 20 miles out, and as close as a mile away. I believe it is very good. Everything seems to work well, and accurately on the Atlas. If you think you are going to have problems with the temperature, or rain gauge being off a bit with this one, you would be wrong in my experience. The anemometer is heavy duty, and turns well, as does the direction indicator. This is a solidly built sensor, and has an optional extension for the anemometer.

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 06:39:06 AM »
Tested the Atlas 8 here in Morehead City, NC and overall was pleased with the performance. The wind readings are superior to the 5-in-1 with a better sampling rate. The rain gauge underestimates during heavy rainfall, which is the expected behavior with a tipping bucket  in heavy rainfall. I was always surprised how the 5-in-1 managed to overestimate rainfall. In the days of testing, I only noted one day where the solar heating was noticeable (about 6 degree warmer than surrounding sites), otherwise, the Atlas was at or below the temperature of the 5-in-1 on most days. This testing was done in the fall with a low sun angle. I do worry, with the amount of black plastic on the unit, that we will again see major heating issues when the sun is more directly overhead in late Spring and early Summer.

Overall as others have stated, a solid piece of equipment and a step up from the 5-in-1. I especially like the indoor console and lightning detector. Would recommend!

Chris Collins
Meteorologist

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
Do any of you Bata Testers know if the Atlas is backwards compatible to the 5-In-1 HD Displays?.................................

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 08:30:44 AM »
ctccbc,

Good observations from someone not too far from where I tested. I am planning to get the wind extension and test that out next to my WH-2310, but I have had gust readings over 20 MPH at 7 ft with Atlas. I also noticed low rain readings by over .20 per inch compared to the 5in1 and the WH-2310, sometimes .30, but thought those may have been off in the heavy rains. The atlas was very close though to a Davis just a few blocks away, falling within a couple of hundredths.

It should be interesting to test the station in our hot humid weather to come, since a lot of the time this fall testing mine was done in the shade at peak heating, thanks to long shadows from trees around me. I always came in with a lower temperature in the daytime and higher at night than the 5 in 1 by 1-3 F. Whatever sensor chip is in Atlas seems to have a tighter range.

I also wanted to add that humidity is far superior with Atlas, than any other station I have tried. It's always in the middle of a ten % spread of other sensors, and maxes out at 100% when it should.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:40:06 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 08:33:28 AM »
Do any of you Bata Testers know if the Atlas is backwards compatible to the 5-In-1 HD Displays?.................................

You can change sensors on the atlas HD display, but you loose data for that original sensor when you do. That is when you use the mem. card slot to back up that data I guess... I doubt the 5n1 HD displays could display Atlas, I don't have one myself.

anything