Author Topic: "Some Major Changes"  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
"Some Major Changes"
« on: March 11, 2015, 05:26:50 AM »
Egon has announced some 'Major Changes' today../03/11/2015 in data, etc...
Please monitor the "Blitzortung Forum'  for more info...
and please don't bug the developers with questions for a day or two...  :shock:

Mike

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: "Some Major Changes"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 06:57:07 AM »
I hope this means maybe availability of new units again, I asked about a half a year ago and units were not available and I got an answer they should be again ready "next yr" and that the plan is also to extent server capacity to allow further network extension.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:48:48 AM »
Sorry... has nothing to do with Blue availability. Data mostly, and presentation...as mentioned in thread-starter.
Blue is months away... from what I gather.

If you're expecting a reply, or notification from developers about availability, don't count on it... there are only '3' developers, with full time jobs, families, and same 24 hrs we all have.  Some folks will NOT get notification!  It's bound to happen, being human beings. 

Continue to monitor the BT forum, and watch WxForum here.

If you're already a Region 3 Operator, and have activated your invitation... watch Sferics.Us also... especially as we head into storm season in N Hemisphere... and pull together to optimize our portion of the network.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:03:45 AM »
Thanks for info,
just wondering, I never really understood those "color" in the name of the units, what exactly does this mean? What is for example the difference between blue and red? And what others are there?

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
Green is the original TOA system... in several versions.  Green was definitely NOT a "plug and play" system. The pioneer Green systems paved the way for all of us in this 'hobby'. Green generally only detects "C-G' strokes.... We owe them all a debt of gratitude for their hard work, the experience and knowledge acquired that they have provided, and for their loyalty and perseverance.

Red is a more advanced system, and still requires owner construction and optimization, and in its 'basic' configuration only detects "C-G" strokes. Red is the core of the upcoming "Blue".  Red offers more advanced filtering, simpler settings, better quality, and more data, especially with the addition of E field capability.  This allows the potential (as it becomes active on server and local firmware, for those with E field implementation) for stroke polarization, type, and much better stroke location and detection. Red also implements more advanced TOA and TOGA algorithms after server processing, many yet to be implemented.

Some Red operators who have NOT optimized their systems, or updated with correct antenna info since installing, e.g., may have a rude awakening when all the new server requirements are implemented... possibly very soon.  Later this year, the Green station data will become incompatible, and Green operators should watch BT website for info and possible special consideration.  Reds will be thoroughly compatible. 

Blue implements all the experience, acquired knowledge,  and capability of Green and Red systems. Blue will also implement many suggestions and ideas from both Red and Green operators. Blue will likely be available in several forms -  from a basic 'assembled in a housing' (sort of 'plug'n'play) basic system, to kits of varying 'complexity' of construction requirements and included parts, such as antennas.  Antennas and E Probes will become standardized, either physically or electronically. Blue may have color 'touchscreen' display as either standard or optional.... that's still under discussion. Blue may have a slightly wider bandwidth, simplified E field, and the potential for 'vertical' H field detection in addition to the standard 'horizontal' H field. Blue will, as current development would seem to indicate,  also allow - for advanced operators -  more specialized filtering and filter circuit insertion. There will likely be some level of "self test" features.  Blue will take many of the principles learned from Red, such as Preamps for antennas/probes to a single amplifier board, for all channels. Better and more advanced 'on board' power supply regulation and filtering... dual or even triple rails, for e.g.

Now, to answer your most important question...
What is the 'system naming' convention?

With the exception of the 'Discovery Modules"... simply from the color of the circuit boards as manufactured....Green, Red, or Blue  :twisted:

Cheers!
Mike
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:30:49 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 10:49:50 AM »
Thank you very much for such a detailed answer. I am looking forward to it, the problem I have is that I am everything, but a technician/electrician, so assembling the unit would probably be an impossible task for me and so I never actually considered ordering a unit unless it becomes a bit more "user-friendly" - doesnt necessarly have to be absolutely out-of the box device, which would have a touch screen etc., but still, when I saw some of the instruction manuals for assembling the previous units, I had no clue about how to do it, and not even the tools to do it.

Once again thanks for your info and I will look forward to see the upcoming updates :-)

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 11:46:59 AM »
Glad to help...
Just because someone has the 'skills and tools' to build a system does not mean they know what the heck they're doing when it comes to actually operating an efficient system!
I admire someone with the interest you have, and the experiences that you will have down  the road... True, Blitzortung was NOT started as a 'user friendly' network... I'm not sure it ever will be... there is some experience and knowledge far beyond 'Facebook" and "Twitter" that is required... most of that can only be acquired through reading, and "on the job training"... with the "Blue" release, as envisioned, all that would be minimized are the technical skills and tools to build an operating system. There is no way that someone can truly optimize a system without some ability to understand what they are trying to 'detect'... it is naďve to think that because a system can get a signal from 4000km that the signal is actually useful in the network concept.   Most folks do not understand that there is a dramatic difference, for example, in a sky wave signal and a space wave signal, and which is likely to be more useful in our 'hobby'!  And some don't bother to research. It's a matter of education.  Once the lights are flashing, and fancy signals appear on the displays, they are satisfied... until they begin to 'compare' their installation with somebody else, in a different location and environment.  With the evolution toward a 'plug'n'play' Blitzortung, you will find more and more posts from folks who have not bothered to do a bit of 'research' into their new hobby.
Technical skills to build a system are mostly secondary, in a matter of speaking.  There are folks who are glad to build systems for those with desire and background to operate one!  I can name many 'operators' who don't know the hot end of a soldering iron from hand grip... who have some of the most efficiently operating sites in the network...  likewise folks with incredible electronic knowledge and skills who insist on relating efficiency to distance, for example...and some lousy overall network contributions...
You'll do well when you join us.  Because you listen... .

Cheers!
Mike

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »
Egon has announced some 'Major Changes' today../03/11/2015 in data, etc...
Please monitor the "Blitzortung Forum'  for more info...
and please don't bug the developers with questions for a day or two...  :shock:

Mike
I notices earlier today that the strikes in the gulf were originating from stations in Europe on lightning maps.org.  :grin:

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 04:06:45 PM »
I notices earlier today that the strikes in the gulf were originating from stations in Europe on lightning maps.org.  :grin:
Yeah,... Looks like Egon's thrown Tobi some gnomonic curves in the data...  :roll: